What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick tap

Paullyboy

Coach
I love the quick tap, and I've made this exact thread before I think, but the inconsistency on when you can and can't go has just been demonstrated in a massive way.

I really hope it doesn't decide a real game.

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
It would have been pulled up in a real game.

The refs job is so much easier when no one gives a f**k.

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
The one tonight was fine - as the penalty wasn't for offside & was outside the Dragons 10m. The players continue to struggle with this, but it's very simple.
And the exact scenario as tonight has been pulled up almost every other time.

I just re watched it. The ref wasn't even finished blowing the whistle and Edwards had tapped the ball.

jc155776

Coach
About times teams got to take some advantage from teams deliberating slowing the game and resetting a defensive line. Quick taps should even be allowed inside the ten so long as they do it on the mark and tap it properly.

some11

Referee
They've even given the defending team an audible warning when it comes to this stuff, the ref was just afraid to call it back because it happened so quickly and by the letter of the law it's a try.

davi

Juniors
Get rid of it.

Why should they get rid of it? It was always part of the game, Benny Elias made it famous with some of his quick taps.

Then some where along the way the refs kept calling it up. I remember Peter Sterling commentating saw a quick tap stopped and he said "I think the quick tap is dead in the modern game". It's because the refs have been so inconsistent and incompetent ruling on it that we got the debacle we got last night.

nick87

Coach
It shouldnt be a hard thing to get right. Referee blows the whistle, gives the mark, and then game on. Shouldnt matter where on the field you are or if the defensive line is set or any of that shit. The emphasis should be on the officials to blow the penalty and give the mark as soon as they can, from there the players will sort it out

ek999

First Grade
Didn't watch last nights match so can't comment on whatever happened. Generally though I think it is one of the areas they get right consistently. The biggest problem is people not knowing when they can and can't take a quick tap

myrrh ken

First Grade
Can someone join the dots and tell me when you can and can't take a quick tap?

They used to pull up the 20min ones, but ow they seem to be fair game.

thorson1987

Coach
Didn't watch last nights match so can't comment on whatever happened. Generally though I think it is one of the areas they get right consistently. The biggest problem is people not knowing when they can and can't take a quick tap

This.

Or they try to take the tap off the mark.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Never mind - As long as you are on the mark and more than 10 metres away from the tryline, quick taps are allowed to be taken as soon as the attacker is ready.

I''m sure I've seen refs pull em up because they've blown the penalty but haven't set the mark - which prevents the quick tap

Incorrect

Coach
And the exact scenario as tonight has been pulled up almost every other time.

I just re watched it. The ref wasn't even finished blowing the whistle and Edwards had tapped the ball.

Interesting point... When is a penalty deemed to have been given - When the ref starts blowing his whistle or when the whistle has stopped?? If the latter, some refs with a greater lung capacity might threaten the effectiveness and spontaneity of the quick tap in years to come....

Never mind - As long as you are on the mark and more than 10 metres away from the tryline, quick taps are allowed to be taken as soon as the attacker is ready.

I''m sure I've seen refs pull em up because they've blown the penalty but haven't set the mark - which prevents the quick tap

You can't take them for opposition being inside the 10m penalties either and I would reckon that 80% of the ones that get pulled up are for this infringement.

Paullyboy

Coach
The problem is that they often blow them up for no other reason than the referee needs a breather (or so it seems). It's the inconsistency that is the major problem.

davi

Juniors
To his credit, St George coach Paul McGregor never brought it up or complained about it at his press conference after the game.

Latest posts