What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.I.P Touch Judges

forward pass

Coach
The bigger problem here is that since Video refs. were introduced into our game, we have become the worlds most pedantic sport. Seriously.

Rules are rules but spending 5 minutes looking for separation in a put down, or did his heel touch the line etc etc etc is just being ridiculously pedantic.

Does it really matter if a portion of his boot MAY have gone 2mm onto the white line?? If a player bumped him and his foot touched the line - I can handle that because the opposition player deserves credit for doing that - but honestly in a situation like last night what does it really matter?? If his whole foot hit the line - fair cop. But that was nit-picking at it's best and our game would be better off without looking at every microcosm of referred tries !

Use common sense - thats all !

Pierced Soul

First Grade
FMD.

One is on a 60 degree angle - the one from front on.

The other is on a 15 degree angle - the one from behind.

The less the angle, the less the parallax error.

Which means the angle from behind is more correct, as the visual error is less than the one from front on.

0,,6657176,00.jpg

by your logic you cant rule whether a foots on the line unless the camera is directly in front or behind the player

Iafeta

Referee
You may be right. The problem I have is that if the touch judge didn't call it at the time, and the video ref needed to look at it 6-7 times before making a decision... then for the sake of the credibility of rugby league the try should have just been awarded in the first place.

They get some of them wrong (the touchies). However, that was a pretty close call, and I'm happy for him to allow it go on and check it upstairs. There's two plays it reminds me of this year, both of which were incorrectly awarded tries when both players had stepped on the line - Jamie Lyon's try against the Warriors in round 2 when Michael Bani had hoiked the crap out of the sideline (no video ref), Darius Boyd's try in the test match when he clearly had ripped up the sideline (awarded). IMO Hayne was out. His foot was on the line.

Whilst I see a lot of blame game going on for the referees, and it's a bit harsh of me to take a shot at Hayne because I thought in general he was fantastic, why did he choose to run so close to the sideline once he had beat his man? He didn't need to be cutting it THAT close, and he got pinged for it when he went out.

Eels Dude

Coach
They get some of them wrong (the touchies). However, that was a pretty close call, and I'm happy for him to allow it go on and check it upstairs. There's two plays it reminds me of this year, both of which were incorrectly awarded tries when both players had stepped on the line - Jamie Lyon's try against the Warriors in round 2 when Michael Bani had hoiked the crap out of the sideline (no video ref), Darius Boyd's try in the test match when he clearly had ripped up the sideline (awarded). IMO Hayne was out. His foot was on the line.

Whilst I see a lot of blame game going on for the referees, and it's a bit harsh of me to take a shot at Hayne because I thought in general he was fantastic, why did he choose to run so close to the sideline once he had beat his man? He didn't need to be cutting it THAT close, and he got pinged for it when he went out.

In relation to Hayne... he did his best to try and regain his balance after nearly being pushed over the sideline after catching the pass. A lesser player would obviously have been completely pushed out of play to begin with. He fended off the opposition but still had to regain his balance while in full acceleration which if you've ever tried is extremely difficult.

As far as I'm concerned, if the touchie doesn't call it at the time, then play on. That's their job... if they're too gutless to do it, then so be it. It's not something a video ref should be deciding on... especially when it takes him 7 or 8 viewings to come to a conclusion.

Nullajet

Juniors
He wasn't running in a straight line here, he was trying to avoid going out of the field play - You don't do that on the balls of your feet:?

Guess again pal....watch the footage again and tell me when he plants his heel

also go otu the backyard tomorrow and run and try doing it, even twinkle toesing it along a line and make sure you plant the heel.

hint..make sure the neigbours arent watching because you will look like you have a disability....its not natural to heel it when you run!

Latest posts