What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.I.P Widnes RLFC

ash the bash

Juniors
News - Club Statement

The following statement has been issued from the Club.

Following Sunday’s disappointing defeat in the National League 1 Grand Final the Board met at length on Monday and Tuesday to discuss the current financial position of the Club.

After these meetings the decision was regrettably taken to put Widnes Rugby League Football Club Ltd into administration with effect from today, Tuesday 9th October, 2007.

The Board took this decision following independent advice received from Jonathan Avery-Gee, Senior Partner of Kay Johnson Gee, Chartered Accountants, who was appointed as the Administrator.

This decision will hopefully allow the Administrator the opportunity to achieve a sale of the Club and with it the potential to keep professional rugby league alive in the Borough where it has been an integral part of many people’s lives for five generations and given great enjoyment.

It is a very sad time for all concerned within the Club and the Board would like to thank everybody who has contributed to its success over the years at whatever level.

The Administrator is now responsible for all matters concerning the Club. He will be seeking offers for the Club and already members of the Board have confirmed their intention to put together a package to take the Club forward into 2008 and beyond.

Pete Barrow
Chief Executive

http://www.totalrl.com/fansforum/index.php?showtopic=40015

A sad day for the club i can't see them being competative next season, best case scenario hope they become like Leigh or Halifax and hang in there for a coupe of seasons, would hate to see them go down the track of Rochdale etc end up in NL2..

I guess thats the price the board has to pay for going for Promotion or bust:sarcasm:

pity a good mate is a season tick holder with em and he is devastated no doubt:(

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It's sad to see but surely they will find a buyer. The stadium is in place and it's a perfect venue for Super League.

Club gets bought out and applies for a Super League franchise is the best case.

It doesn't find a buyer and goes out of business altogether is the worst.

Skinner

Coach
Jeez, that's pretty sad, although not unexpected.

Hopefully they can find a buyer to pull them through.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
RL in Widnes won't die.

It's just the limited liability company that was running Widnes RL has been put down. Someone else will step in and fill the gap.

It probably means they won't get a SL franchise in 2009 though.

Quidgybo

Bench
I think it almost certainly means the top 12 spots for 2009 are now settled. The only real questions left are whether the expansion to 14 goes ahead and whether Salford claims one of those two spots ahead of Celtic or Toulouse.

Anyone else really left in the race? Halifax as an outside chance?

Leigh.

Nacho Libre

Juniors
:( You can certainly see the argument now for no relegation, they obviously bet everything on winning promotion, but will now lose everything.
Very sad

coldhardbitch

Juniors
Celtic and Toulouse are nailed on for franchises ewith the current 12 teams. Salford seem to be having stadium issues and I think they will miss out.

Quidgybo

Bench
The big decider for the qestion of expansion is the current negotiations for the next television deal. Sky have made it clear they don't see much value for them in another French side but they do see potential subscriptions in a South Wales club. So they'd be willing to pay more to support the latter but perhaps not for the former. On the other hand Toulouse look the stronger of the two bids in terms of likely level of fan support. So the way I see it all depends on whether the RFL get enough of an increase in the television deal to cover two new clubs as well as the existing twelve even though the increase may not in fact explicitly cover one of the new teams.

Leigh.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
In terms of their survival, they'll be fine. Unfortunately for them though any hopes of a franchise are now well and truly gone you'd have to say.

It would, however, indeed be a sad day for RL if the worst case scenario does eventuate.

bowes

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
I think it almost certainly means the top 12 spots for 2009 are now settled. The only real questions left are whether the expansion to 14 goes ahead and whether Salford claims one of those two spots ahead of Celtic or Toulouse.

Anyone else really left in the race? Halifax as an outside chance?

Leigh.
No because if they want to bring in both Toulouse and Celtic Crusaders they'd need to leave out one of the current 12, and include Salford as otherwise there'd be 7 Yorkshire and 3 Lancashire teams and I don't see why that would be where the franchises go just because of where teams happen to be for one season. On merit alone Salford are less deserving than the twelve in, but also more deserving than Celtic Crusaders and Toulouse so if Toulouse get in then geography will be a factor.

The question is who would be left out of the twelve, clearly not Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield or Hull. Seemingly Hull KR are safe now, and there's 5 West Yorkshire and 2 East, so one from West Yorkshire is likely to be left out, if one is. Wakefield have been in SL 10 straight seasons while Cas are a yo-yo team and Wakefield's a far larger place, so Cas would be likely to miss out despite better crowds.

However, I think it's more likely they'll keep all the twelve and add Salford and Celtic Crusaders and leave Toulouse out for a few more years, certainly the general impression over here is that they won't get in, which on the one hand is a shame, but on the other hand means all deserving teams can get in, Widnes no longer being in that category after this

bartman

Immortal
Wow, I knew they'd be dropping back part-time squad, but didn't expect the administrators being brought in. Still, if it's just the company being wound up and buyers are ready to step in, then Widnes' future might be OK, stadium's fine, support level is good. But I'd agree this has probably done their dash in getting a 2009 franchise.

Agree with bowes' analysis - I'd expect two expansion spots offered to Salford and Celtic Crusaders, unless there is a carrot in the TV deals mentioned that would make Toulouse jump over one of these bids. Clearly they are part of the future, it's just a matter of whether the league will get there now or in a few years time? I suspect things don't move as fast as perhaps some might be thinking...

That would leave Toulouse gearing up for 2012, once the fate/prospects of some of the yoyo teams (Cas, KR, Salford) can be judged given some stability without relegation. With Doncaster's aborted flurry at achieving SL, Haven's knockbacks over facilities, Leigh and Widnes and Halifax still hurting from the past experiences, I don't think anyone else is knocking on the SL door for 09.

bowes

Juniors
Also on franchises people need to remember that it's not a case of two expansion franchises, but one of awarding fourteen, being in SL in 2008 does not in itself get you a franchise, though it clearly helps

bowes

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
Lewis has already said that SL 2009 would have 14 teams.
Sorry meant awarding fourteen

However, he has NOT said that being in SL in 2008 gets you a franchise, he has said it is expected (but not confirmed) that 14 franchises will be awarded, but all teams have to apply for one, not just teams outside of SL in one particular season, being in SL in 2008 in no way, shape or form guarantees a 2009 franchise, yet it is frequently posted on here

Latest posts