What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.L draw between Ireland and Lebanon

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Was it this bit....

Ireland’s best, full back Scott Grix linked well to find the line, Chris Bridge converting and three minutes later Ryan Tandy bustled over, Bridge’s conversion giving the men from the Emerald Isle the lead.

...that got your attention Father?

Father Ted

First Grade
Willow said:
Was it this bit....

Ireland’s best, full back Scott Grix linked well to find the line, Chris Bridge converting and three minutes later Ryan Tandy bustled over, Bridge’s conversion giving the men from the Emerald Isle the lead.

...that got your attention Father?

Yep . But also the Idea of Ireland and Lebanon playing an international match .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think its great. Both countries have an organised league and are having a go.

All part of the lead up to the 2008 World Cup - excellent considering the ineptitude which hampers the game's growth internationally.

Should be a tremendous spectacle on opening night. Here's hoping our mate Geoff doesn't trip over the extension lead on his way to the bar.

Smithtown

Coach
Excellent post Father Ted. Anything that brings publicity to International Rugby League has to be a good thing. By all reports a cracking match but very poorly supported (crowd perhaps about 200).

Not sure if I can post these links but they are worth a quick look. The Irish RL looks like it's getting a solid foothold - plenty of clubs.

http://www.rli.ie/

http://www.lebrl.com/

Is Tandy still playing in the EPL

I think he is at Widnes Vikings.

TheGame

Juniors
Smithtown said:
I think he is at Widnes Vikings.

Who are not in ESL anymore they were relegated 2 seasons ago and failed to win promotion last season after my team Hull KR beat them in the Grand Final :).:crazy:

Benny

First Grade
One of the ladies I work with her son was playing for Lebanon - they beat Russia the previous week 18-4. Not sure but I believe Lebanon have secured a place in the main draw?

Can't remember if 8 or 10 team torunament but know Australia, England, New Zealand, France and Papa New Guinea have direct entry and Fiji have also qualified.

Anyone else know the other qualifers?

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
Australia, New Zealand, England, France and PNG are automatic entry with Fiji and Tonga now qualified.

We have Ireland, Lebanon and Russia going for one spot
Wales and Scotland going for another spot
and the USA and Samoa waiting on the runners up in the above pools to see who they play in the rpecharge comp.

So we have 7 countries going for the remaining 3 spots. Nice hey.

Also these countries all will push the top 3 countries and possibly beat them in the world cup. They have improved out of site and are only going to get stronger.

10 team world cup

Father Ted

First Grade
whatsdoing1982 said:
Australia, New Zealand, England, France and PNG are automatic entry with Fiji and Tonga now qualified.

We have Ireland, Lebanon and Russia going for one spot
Wales and Scotland going for another spot
and the USA and Samoa waiting on the runners up in the above pools to see who they play in the rpecharge comp.

So we have 7 countries going for the remaining 3 spots. Nice hey.

Also these countries all will push the top 3 countries and possibly beat them in the world cup. They have improved out of site and are only going to get stronger.

10 team world cup

Not quite sure why we can't let everyone into the world cup and give international league all the helping hands it no doubt needs .

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
It is pretty much the World Cup finals in Australia in 2008.
We have already had over 20 teams competing for it.
I think by 2012 we will see all 45 nations competing for it. The reason they haven't is because they are focusing on setting up their national comp and building a platform. Exciting times ahead for International Rugby League.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
Is it just my imagination or did South Africa not regularly field a team in the early 90s?

union always finds a way to make league development as hard as possible just like the french story.
South Africa and other smaller league countries are growing very quickly. Please support it and you will see a great world cup. Talks of the world cup after 2008 will have 16 teams again. Strong teams this time though unlike 2000.

In the mean time 2008 will be great. Lookout for some upsets. My prediction Eng, NZ or Aus will not make the top 4.