What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2 v Dolphins.

Spazer

Juniors
I hope flano has plans to use Sione or bring him into the side at some point this season. He wasn't given a fair crack last year due to his injury but he is quick and runs hard. Melbourne wanted him back and I would hate to lose him for tuipulotu.

Having a speedy outside back supporting on the edges will help when sloan makes breaks through the middle with zero support, happens almost every game.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yar I mean it would be wonderful to have absolute freakish speed.. but even just average or a few slightly above average backs.... would make such a difference.. right now its very difficult to score off half-breaks, and certainly hard to stop an opponent in any space.

I dont know where such speed will come from though.. we tried to get Averillo last year (pre flanno), he would have been perfect.. we have guys like SFinau whos above average.. whether he is up to the rest of the game I dunno.. I would prefer Tamale's physicality on the wing, but he's not that quick... so what have we really achieved there.. TuiP I dunno what to make of him really.. sort of somewhere in the middle. Not that Flanno is going to be picking players just for their 'speed'.

Longer-term hopefully we secure Jesse Williams, I think hes approx 18.5yrs old.. signed till end of 2025, but in my professional forum-lurkers opinion.. he needs to be tested in cup before end of year.
Yes mate unfortunately we havnt had line breakers of such since Gaz, Coops the Morris bros and Sowie to name a few.....except maybe Sowie who could scoot none had freakish speed but knew how to make half breaks...just doesnt happen for us and hasn't for years....not sure the immediate answers with our roster tbh...hopefully somewhere theres an answer not to far away

Dragon David

First Grade
We know the answers, do they? I'm sure they do and they need to act on them sooner rather than later. Get these speedy guys in the team. You just cannot beat it. Toughen them up and help them with things like defence but get them in.

As they say, speed kills and I would love the Dragons speedsters to kill it in first grade.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
We know the answers, do they? I'm sure they do and they need to act on them sooner rather than later. Get these speedy guys in the team. You just cannot beat it. Toughen them up and help them with things like defence but get them in.

As they say, speed kills and I would love the Dragons speedsters to kill it in first grade.
sorry David, respectively disagree; IF speedsters can’t tackle, don’t put them in! There too many one dimensional (attack can’t defend) players in the NRL these days. Demonstrate you can tackle- you get a run, if not grind it out in reserves until they can. I agree on your speed angle, and you could maybe hide one in a great side, but defence takes a while to develop and despite the temptation…...

Last edited:
Michael Molo
I want Vili too but not at Mike Molo's expense as I love his consistent input off the bench. In a game when we needed experience like Eisenhuth to stand up, he went missing in action. So he makes way for Vili. Like Toby Couchman to come back into the side. No room for his brother too, but both were the pick of the forwards in a strong Reggies win against the Knights.

Last edited:
The pressure will also likely begin to mount on the coach's son Kyle Flanagan, who struggled to land a blow against the Dolphins and made a number of costly errors.
Add Hunt to that scenario, his strong suit, his kicking game was way off. Problem is we have no halves in lowers kicking down the door as replacements for this spluttering pair. Jesse Marsche is the closest pushing his case.

Flanagan has to now realize Bird is a waste if space in the centres and return Lomax there. Rava had a shocker whereas Sione Finau and the big Manly flanker import had strong games in Reggies. I'd go with Finau as he provides sheer pace and strength and is willing in defense. The other dude can probably lose a few kilos before given a Firsts crack.

Flanagan has to now realize Bird is a waste if space in the centres and return Lomax there. Rava had a shocker whereas Sione Finau and the big Manly flanker import had strong games in Reggies. I'd go with Finau as he provides sheer pace and strength and is willing in defense. The other dude can probably lose a few kilos before given a Firsts crack.
The pressure will also likely begin to mount on the coach's son Kyle Flanagan, who struggled to land a blow against the Dolphins and made a number of costly errors.
Add Hunt to that scenario, his strong suit, his kicking game was way off. Problem is we have no halves in lowers kicking down the door as replacements for this spluttering pair. Jesse Marsche is the closest pushing his case.
It is important to maintain the distinction between which players fans would pick and which players Flanno WILL pick.

From Flanno's side, there is no pressure on the halves. They will be picked every week unless they are unavailable. Bird will also be picked. Rava will keep his spot, but if a centre or winger is unavailable, the big Manly winger will be the replacement.

From Flanno's side, there is no pressure on the halves.
Then he is a bad coach. He should be reading the riot act to this pair, as their partnership has gone from promising to abysmal in a very short duration.
Bird will also be picked.
Then that is a coach playing favorites. We had sufficient of this from the former one. Flanagan knows Lomax is not a happy chappy being moved from his career position, yet he'd prefer to implant his mate there and risk losing arguably our best back..definitely our hardest working one.

Mojo

Bench
Just for the sake of provoking discussion and, most likely, ridicule, outrage and contempt>>>
Time for a radical shake-up? Lomax to FB, Sloan to right centre, fast young rookie to right wing?
How would Liddle go at 6 or 7, with Flan to hooker?

Also, a couple of observations:
Suli runs like a mongrel but gees he's easily tackled.
Cake seemed incredibly uncommitted in last weekend's game.

Jack Bird's ability to cover a number of positions - potentially the bench utility role - (9 scribe)
Can we honestly see Bird filling in at either the 5/8 or dummy half role. Dont make me laff.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Just for the sake of provoking discussion and, most likely, ridicule, outrage and contempt>>>
Time for a radical shake-up? Lomax to FB, Sloan to right centre, fast young rookie to right wing?
How would Liddle go at 6 or 7, with Flan to hooker?

Also, a couple of observations:
Suli runs like a mongrel but gees he's easily tackled.
Cake seemed incredibly uncommitted in last weekend's game.
No no no no no

kit66

Bench
In reality we've played one reasonable half of footy so far - 2nd half against the Titans.
Were the Titans really, really bad or were we and our game plan that good ?

I wouldn't be making too many changes to the team.

Same backline with maybe Lomax and Sloan switching for the opening 20 minutes, see how that goes and give Sloan permission to emulate Blacklock and come infield to follow the ball all day.

8. BMM - we need some size and momentum up front and Ben can do that even if only for the opening 20.
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie
11. Su"a
12. Eisenhuth
13. JDB

14. Marschke
15. RFM
16. Sele
17. Fifita

4 forwards on the bench would be good but too risky, we're already vulnerable out wide without having a 2nd rower out there if there's an injury.

Flanno might be tempted to bring in Ryan Couchman because he's going alright in reserves but I'd hold off for now, give him more time. Ryan didn't do so well in his 5 first grade games last year, it was actually Toby playing 2nd row that stood out. Let them really establish themselves in reserves and stick to the guys who did well in round 1 plus Sele.

I don't like our chances against the Cows monster forward pack but we're at home and we've a point to prove,
will the real 2024 Dragons please stand up.

jeffdragon

Bench
In reality we've played one reasonable half of footy so far - 2nd half against the Titans.
Were the Titans really, really bad or were we and our game plan that good ?

I wouldn't be making too many changes to the team.

Same backline with maybe Lomax and Sloan switching for the opening 20 minutes, see how that goes and give Sloan permission to emulate Blacklock and come infield to follow the ball all day.

8. BMM - we need some size and momentum up front and Ben can do that even if only for the opening 20.
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie
11. Su"a
12. Eisenhuth
13. JDB

14. Marschke
15. RFM
16. Sele
17. Fifita

4 forwards on the bench would be good but too risky, we're already vulnerable out wide without having a 2nd rower out there if there's an injury.

Flanno might be tempted to bring in Ryan Couchman because he's going alright in reserves but I'd hold off for now, give him more time. Ryan didn't do so well in his 5 first grade games last year, it was actually Toby playing 2nd row that stood out. Let them really establish themselves in reserves and stick to the guys who did well in round 1 plus Sele.

I don't like our chances against the Cows monster forward pack but we're at home and we've a point to prove,
will the real 2024 Dragons please stand up.
Leilua will be in the 17 somewhere.

kit66

Bench
Leilua will be in the 17 somewhere.

You're probably right, I forgot the vs his old team aspect.

Just looking at our first half last week, we weren't that bad really. Went to the sheds 10 nil but it could easily have been two tries apiece if Molo holds the ball to score and Sloan takes a better option to finish off his break. The Dolphins threw a lot at us and were playing very up tempo and correct me if I'm wrong but I think Bennett had used his whole bench by the 25 minute mark - fresh players on a very humid Brissie evening, smart play.
We weren't as cohesive as we were in the Titans game but overall still better than in most games last year.
I haven't watched the second half, not sure I'll bother but our completions, line breaks and defence in the first half were all good. Our line speed was not.
Hunt is still doing too much. Round 1 him and Kyle have 58 receipts each and Kyle takes a few kicks, Round 2 it's Hunt 62 receipts and Kyle 42 with Kyle kicking just once. Let Kyle into the game more and get out to second receiver Benny and let Kyle take more kicks if just to put the defence in doubt on the 5th.