What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R23 Sun - Newcastle v Penrith... SPOON BATTLE!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NRL SUNDAY

r23-game7.jpg

NEWCASTLE v PENRITH
EnergyAustralia Stadium, New Lambton NSW :: Sunday 19 August
Gates open 11:05am, Jersey Flegg 11:20am, Premier League 1:00pm
First Grade Kickoff 3:00pm
Delayed Telecast at 4:00pm on Nine, Check Local Guides. LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE.

GET TICKETS HERE.

RefereeYellow.gif

JASON ROBINSON

Sideline Officials: Mohamad Fajajo, Steve Lyons
Video Referee: Paul Simpkins

Knights.gif

Newcastle Knights lineup

Kurt Gidley
James McManus, Brad Tighe, George Carmont, Cooper Vuna
Chris Bailey, Luke Walsh
Jesse Royal, Danny Buderus (C), Steve Simpson
Zeb Taia, Daniel Abraham
Reegan Tanner

Int - Michael Young, Cory Paterson, Mitchell Sargent, Adam Woolnough

PanthersAway.gif

Penrith Panthers lineup

1. Jarrod Sammut
2. Mark O'Halloran, 3. Michael Jennings, 4. Maurice Blair, 5. Michael Gordon
6. Luke Lewis, 7. Craig Gower (c)
8. Joel Clinton, 9. Luke Priddis, 10. Bryan Norrie
11. Frank Pritchard, 12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Nathan Smith

Int - 14. Matthew Bell, 15. Brendan Worth, 16. Frank Puletua, 17. Paul Aiton

Reserves - 18. Peter Wallace

LOWER GRADES
JERSEY FLEGG Knights v Panthers 11:20am
PREMIER LEAGUE Knights v Panthers 1pm

griffo346

First Grade
go them panthers smash them knights yeahhhhhhhhhh

on a seperate note WTF is Mark O'Halloran doing on the wing FMD Elliott is Geoff Daniela injured i didnt see anything on the game to say he was

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Penrith are just about specials now. Buderus is next to no chance of playing :(

gong_eagle

First Grade
Knights v Panthers preview

Wednesday, August 15, 2007
http://nrl.com/News/MatchReports/MatchReportsArticle/tabid/336/NewsId/6618/Default.aspx
Here ye, here ye, here ye: the royal battle to avoid the wooden spoon will commence Sunday August 19 at 3pm sharp in the Knights arena when the beasts from the foot of the Blue Mountains prowl into town.
King Brian Smith has called for a truce with the Knights of his square table after weeks of infighting, squabbles and battles which came to a head when chief Knight Danny Buderus spoke bluntly with a local scribe.
However, considering the decision to air grievances publicly surrounded the non-selection of three-year Knight Kirk Reynoldson – who has once again been dropped, now just one game shy of a contract renewal – one gets the feeling the truce could be a ways off yet.
So while the Panthers are still four points shy of their nearest rival, a win here will give them half a chance of a miracle over the last fortnight and with the Knights in absolute crisis, they won’t get a better chance.
Penrith will travel up the F3 with a few changes to the side beaten in golden point by the Cowboys.
Luke Lewis will suit up at five-eighth with Peter Wallace reverting back to the bench, Mark O’Halloran comes onto the wing for Geoff Daniela while Matt Cross and Tim Grant make way for Brendan Worth and Matthew Bell.
Paul Aiton is also included on a five-man bench.
For the Knights Luke Walsh and Danny Buderus come back into the side as does Reegan Tanner and Cory Paterson.
Reynoldson, Scott Dureau, Josh Perry and Terence Seu Seu are out of the side that was smashed by Manly last weekend.
Watch out Knights: Penrith are playing with a cavalier attitude and aren’t afraid to throw the ball around.
With nothing to lose the Panthers are chancing their arm so the Knights need to bustle them into mistakes rather than holding back and waiting to see what happens.
The likes of Lewis, Craig Gower, Michael Jennings and young Jarrod Sammut have the attacking skills to score plenty of points if they are given a chance.
Watch out Panthers: Danny Buderus is back from a lengthy injury lay-off and it’s the first time since making the team’s problems public – a move which saw his coach claim that disappointment from a poor personal season was to blame.
A deeply proud individual, Buderus will be out to prove himself where he knows it matters – on the field. He’s capable of winning games on his own – this spells danger for the Panthers.
Where it will be won: Attitude. Neither side has much to play for other than pride and the prospect of NOT winning the wooden spoon so whoever turns up ready to play will win.
The Knights might not want to win for their coach but they should want to win for each other.
There is all this talk about the brotherhood and mateship in the town and amongst the playing group – if this is the case, prove it.
Show us that despite all the drama you can band together and win for yourselves. If this is to be your final stand together, why not make it count?
The History: Played 28; Knights 15, Panthers 10; drawn 3. Newcastle has won the past three encounters and six of the past eight but the two clubs share the spoils at EnergyAustralia Stadium, winning six games each in the 12 match-ups.
Conclusion: It’s hard to get a real feel for what could happen here.
Penrith have shown plenty of fight over the past fortnight while the Knights have shown none – but they are still a team that represents a proud region and that region won’t accept quitters, whatever the circumstance.
If they fire up and have a real go, they are certainly good enough to win but if they continue to find excuses rather than solutions then the Panthers could get them and get a step closer to offloading the spoon after all.
Match officials: Referee – Jason Robinson; Sideline Officials – Mohamad Fajajo & Steve Lyons; Video ref – Paul Simpkins.

Televised: Channel Nine – Delayed 4pm; Foxsports 3 – Delayed 6pm.
* Statistics: NRL Stats.

badav

Bench
i have a 100% success rate tipping for Newcastle this season.
i have a 9% success rate tipping for Penrith this season.

i tipped newcastle. they have to win.

Missa

Juniors
badav said:
i have a 100% success rate tipping for Newcastle this season.
i have a 9% success rate tipping for Penrith this season.

i tipped newcastle. they have to win.

i hope we don't let u down with your 100%......;-)

Timmah

Staff member
Statistically speaking... from Big League magazine

Head to head
Overall 28, Newcastle 15-10, Three draws
At Energy 12, 6-all

Last meetings
Newcastle 40-4 at EnergyAustralia, 2006

Biggest victories
Newcastle 60-18, EnergyAustralia, 2001
Penrith 34-6 @ CUA, 2003

Grand Finals
Never met in GF

Opening market 1.90 Each
(TAB Sportsbet)

Jono078

Referee
Not raining yet.

Looks like there will be a few showers though.

So might be a game with a few errors.

I'll go with Panthers 28 - 20 Knights.

Big Pete

Referee
griffo346 said:
go them panthers smash them knights yeahhhhhhhhhh

on a seperate note WTF is Mark O'Halloran doing on the wing FMD Elliott is Geoff Daniela injured i didnt see anything on the game to say he was

Nope; he's listed to play for Premier League.

Weird decision. :?

Timmah

Staff member
Jersey Flegg Penrith 24-22

Premier League Penrith 24-14

Jono078

Referee
Knights get penalised and help Panthers get out of their own 20 and down our end...

Story of the season!