What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R3 v Cowboys

steerlerbab

Juniors
To be fair there isn't a fan on here that wouldn't like to hit the factory reset button on this club but unfortunately that's not a reality. All we can do is look for new ways of moving forward. Those fans out there today were there to back us and when Flanagan went in I won't lie I felt myself choking up. Not because we were back but because I've forgotten the feeling of being a great team and for a moment it just reminded me of this.

I get a feeling Shane Flanagan will assist in this this move forward and maybe some times it will feel like we are going nowhere but I guess that's where trust comes in. Some of the things he's said/done around juniors is promising.

He will not be able to attract talent with us letting in 40 points every week however and this needs to be addressed post haste.

Yes we suck. The club's teetering on the edge of something not good I agree with you. I don't care about profits. I want us to be about winning.
Flanno has already hit factory reset button but he cannot let go all the FG side in one go. It will be gradual. This is still Hook's team The backline apart from Flanno Jnr is Hook's team. Half the forwards still Hook's team. As I said earlier, we need a backline leader, a forward leader and a second top line hooker. That will start the reset.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm now watching the Sharks v Tigers game. The Sharks will be up there this year and they have already got their man AFB coming in 2025. What a feeling that must be knowing that the team is already doing pretty good so far this year and then they look forward to AFB coming.

All we can look forward to are duck eggs.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I repeat !!!!!!!! getting hammered 42 point to 6 after leading 18 to 4 is totally unacceptable in any shape or form in any grade from any club in the NRL.....tbh how can you take any positives from this rabble after a capitulation like we have just witnessed.....we lose 3 of our starting line up thats been in the side from round 1 and we dish up this garbage.....if this is best remaining players available from our squad then we are in deeper shit than I invisaged

thebigredv

First Grade
Something radical must happen, I would actually get more joy if the club went back to the original St George team with the recognition of 15 premierships.
For the last 24 years, I have been reminded amongst every non St George bluh bluh Steeler Illawarra dragons that this club has 0 premierships and 1 lucky premiership.
I've said the same in the past but I've accepted that there's buckleys chance of going back to St George. I won't sit here and support another 5 years of this rubbish of St George Illawarra if it means playing dumb footy and treating it's fans like idiots. If Flanagan can't really improve us and then the gutless board end up replacing him with some average Joe that will definitely be my cue to switch sports or take up a new hobby. We are at a real pivotal moment as I see it.

As for the premierships I don't care what others say. We were once the best club in world sport hands down. And yet we will never go back to St George. Who's going to see to it that we do?

brissiedragon

Juniors
Obviously the "D" in D.Young doesn't stand for defense! What I dont get is that our defensive line in game one moved forward quickly and was aggressive. We limited their opportunities and won the game. Our last two games we have had zero defensive line speed and let both teams run at us resulting in them having field position and consequent scoring opportunities. All of the good teams have great defensive line speed, thus limiting field position and cut down the scoring opportunities. We were continually going backwards in defense and gifted them chances to score. If I can see that why cant our coaches see it.

TheRev

First Grade
He's not fit enough. The game is too fast for him.
Do you really think 8mins is too much? He needs to be in NSW Cup pushing out 50mins then.. I thought making him 18th man last week was a real over-site, we need this kid to be fast-tracked, hes well in front of our others but hes not getting any fitter doing 10mins a game on average.

TheRev

First Grade
Contrary too Flannos PR, we are not fit enough.
I've been thinking about this comment.. and the squad losing 120kg in the off-season (Leilua aside who wasnt here) was amazing.. but then if you think.. what if we had gone into that Pre-Season only needing to lose 10kg? Surely you end up with a lot more time spent on fitness/endurance.. and less on weight loss..

So next season you'd think we will be much fitter again.. but it doesnt help our 2024 situation.. definitely does feel like we cant rebound from things going against us, when a team gets a run on...

thebigredv

First Grade
Surely Suli shakes hands with the reserve grade coach this week
I understand coaches need to back their players and give them chances but I don't think this is what we need anymore.

I want to see players dropped and others rotated through it on merit.

When we find the right mix we play with them on the field but we have too many players that choose when they will put in effort and be professional. Too many who drop their heads when play goes against us. Suli is not alone in that. If it means we struggle to gel as a team so be it. We are already getting beaten by 4 plus tries and we should be blooding junior talent anyway where possible.

Sele, Sua, Molo and Liddle will all be back against Manly so there will be players dropped and I'd be giving Bird a spell along with Eisenhuth and RFM. What jokes those blokes are.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Flanno has already hit factory reset button but he cannot let go all the FG side in one go. It will be gradual. This is still Hook's team The backline apart from Flanno Jnr is Hook's team. Half the forwards still Hook's team. As I said earlier, we need a backline leader, a forward leader and a second top line hooker. That will start the reset.
What about a bartender

Do you really think 8mins is too much? He needs to be in NSW Cup pushing out 50mins then.. I thought making him 18th man last week was a real over-site, we need this kid to be fast-tracked, hes well in front of our others but hes not getting any fitter doing 10mins a game on average.
He doesn't even manage long stints in NSW Cup.

If Flanno is going to pick him in first grade, he should probably try to get 10 minutes either side of half-time out of him. Josh Kerr did that well for us last year. Mind you, Josh Kerr was fitter, was a better defender, had better carries, and his play-the-ball was lightning-fast.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
I understand coaches need to back their players and give them chances but I don't think this is what we need anymore.

I want to see players dropped and others rotated through it on merit.

When we find the right mix we play with them on the field but we have too many players that choose when they will put in effort and be professional. Too many who drop their heads when play goes against us. Suli is not alone in that. If it means we struggle to gel as a team so be it. We are already getting beaten by 4 plus tries and we should be blooding junior talent anyway where possible.

Sele, Sua, Molo and Liddle will all be back against Manly so there will be players dropped and I'd be giving Bird a spell along with Eisenhuth and RFM. What jokes those blokes are.
Its a real shit sandwich cause there isnt really any/many in NSW Cup that are even asking for selection... BMM one of the only ones.. this is the problem, unlike his time at the Sharks, Flanno hasnt been able to recruit jack sh** sadly.. the cap system is a complete mess.... it makes his job near impossible because how does he drop players if despite all his efforts.. and hes gone after almost everyone available.. he cant even secure ace cup players.. the one exception is Marshcke, a fallback from Volkman.. thats been his only real win.. even though I think RFM is a good reject to pick up also... but hes gone after dozens and dozens of players..

2010Dragons

Bench
So smug! So I'm guessing you're pleased with the result to justify your..... "I told you so"!?
No I'm disappointed, angry, and deflated.
BUT definitely not pleased.
I've followed my beloved Dragons for well over 50 years. I witnessed many grand final wins. I've watched hundreds of young men become excellent players and I've seen plenty of crap players as well.
So you could say I have very good understanding of the game and how my beloved dragons compare to other teams.

But more importantly I'm never in denial.

Players and coaches come go but us fans are here to support the Dragons forever.