What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R9 vs Knights

Pomoz

Bench
We look flat and not on our game. I don't like the look of this so far. This could be a long afternoon.

Puntastic

Juniors
The piggyback penalty against Mansour was soft, given in response to an unhappy crowd off the back of that Wallace kick (which was accidental).

Not giving up just yet.

Puntastic

Juniors
16-10 H/T.

Completion rate is quite impressive considering they might as well be playing under a waterfall.

Probably should have gone in 22-10 considering we had two sets on their line, but such is life.

Both Newcastle trys came off the back of penalties, they don't look threatening without a couple of piggybacks downfield.

If we settle down and play to the whistle, we might just get away with this.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We look flat and not on our game. I don't like the look of this so far. This could be a long afternoon.

I thought we've looked more threatening than we have for a long time, especially considering the conditions. Giving away too many penalties and a couple of sloppy drops and passes.

Segeyaro just gives the opposition one more thing to worry about that Kingston doesn't.

Puntastic

Juniors
Oh, we're also virtually playing with 15 men, with Yeo yet to have a run and Plum out for the game.

soc123_au

Staff member
If they play the same as the first half and cut the silly penalties out then the win should follow.

Pomoz

Bench
They improved as the half went on, no doubt. they must stop Gidley running from dummy half. he keeps giving them easy metres.

Puntastic

Juniors
Good performance overall considering the conditions.

A few more points would have been nice, decisions inside the opposition 20 haven't been ideal. A few silly passes etc .

Backline still looks flat.

They caught us with overlaps a few times, and we fail to return the favour.

Glad Segeyaro played a solid 80 minutes.

Whare, Mansour and Idris standouts for mine.

Big Mick

Referee
A few more points would have been nice? We scored 32 ...what more do you want lol.

Segeyaro was definitely more conservative and only took what appeared to be 2 runs all game...one of which was a try.

Not having Kingston there gave us better balance which is what we've all been saying for some time.

Add in Taylor for Yeo and Grant for Plum potentially and we've got the right players to make a run imo.

Sure adding a Nabuli would help but for now we seem to be clicking.

Soward played exceptional for mine. Defended well, Ran the ball well.

Wallace did his job and guided the team around and defended his ass off.

Whare, Idris, Mansour, Soward and Latimore were all great.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Good performance overall considering the conditions.

A few more points would have been nice, decisions inside the opposition 20 haven't been ideal. A few silly passes etc .

Backline still looks flat.

They caught us with overlaps a few times, and we fail to return the favour.

Glad Segeyaro played a solid 80 minutes.

Whare, Mansour and Idris standouts for mine.

So they were standouts...but still look flat...

Are you talking about their structure as in they are flat-footed or flat as is lackluster?

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Add in Taylor for Yeo and Grant for Plum and we've got the right players to make a run imo.

Yes, I would be happy with that. Possibly Simmons being phased out for one of the young guns.

Except for his silly play on the possible 40-20 kick, I thought Moylan was excellent. He's grown into the fullback role.

I would like to see this side for a good long while when everyone is fit:

1. Moylan
2. Simmons/Nabuli/DWZ
3. Whare
4. Idris
5. Mansour
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Grant
9. Segeyaro
10. Kite
11. Taylor
12. Manu
13. Docker

14. Peachey
15. McKendry
16. Latimore
17. Robinson

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Idris never really bursts onto the ball. He always gets it at half speed, does a half-step and then folds into the defensive line. If he started doing that, we'd be a lot more threatening.

Pomoz

Bench
Defence won us the game. They had plenty of ball in our half but we held strong. When they broke out wide we scrambled well. Our defence was so good the Knights forwards really struggled to make metres.
McKendry and Latimore chewed up the metres with 130m each. Our backs absolutely killed it, all making 100m plus except Jamal. He chipped in with 3 offloads and a try assist.

Peter Wallace made 30 tackles and really got stuck in. It is interesting to note that at the moment either Soward or Wallace fire up in a game, but so far not both at the same time. Today, Wallace did a shift down the mines playing like an extra lock and tackling hard. Soward made tries, scored a try, made line breaks, busted tackles and still had time for two offloads. If the two of them both hit their straps at the same time, maybe we can really pile on some points.

I thought Segyaro was OK. He still isn't running as strong as he was last year, but he played OK and chipped in with 35 tackles and a try.

Last edited:

Puntastic

Juniors
Are you talking about their structure as in they are flat-footed or flat as is lackluster?

I think there were a couple of trys in that game that other sides might have picked up - silly little errors in the opposition 20 which have plagued us all year. I never said I wasn't happy with the performance :crazy:

The backline as a whole still probably doesn't stand deep enough and attack the ball. They also rarely catch the opposition defence out with an overlap. It would be nice to see Idris hitting holes, or at the very least coming 1-1 with the opposition.

Mansour and Idris hardly play the role of conventional backs. Perhaps I should have clarified it better. I was especially impressed with Idris' defence. Whare is just fantastic.

Our backline just doens't look as potent as it should shifting the ball and we cant rely the tries that Moylan, Whare and Segeyaro scored to beat teams who aren't cellar-dwellers. Am I allowed to say it's something that still needs work? It doesn't mean we didn't play quite well today.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
So Kingston & Brown don't play & we still defend well... Yet looked deadly in attack all game. Never can anyone say 'we need x for their defence'

pantherpuddy

Juniors
Good win today from the boys as its never easy going to newey on a sunday arvo and coming away with the 2 points. We still have a lot to work on but I can see us building up some confidence as a team and progressing from one week to the next. Its great to see us having a much more competitive attitude every week so far this season

franklin2323

Immortal
So Kingston & Brown don't play & we still defend well... Yet looked deadly in attack all game. Never can anyone say 'we need x for their defence'

I agree Big Mick when I said we have the players to push top 4. It was virtually the team we had today. Taylor & Grant in of course