What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Ilias-Hastings swap deal off the cards​

South Sydney halfback Lachlan Ilias has informed coach Wayne Bennett of his intention to stay at the club despite the Newcastle Knights showing interest in his services for next year.

Lachlan Ilias is staying put, for now.

Lachlan Ilias is staying put, for now.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The Knights and Rabbitohs held discussions about a potential swap deal that would have seen Jackson Hastings reunite with former Great Britain coach Bennett at South Sydney, paving the way for Ilias to head to the Knights.

Bennett was open to the idea, having worked with Hastings in the Great Britain side in 2019, but was not going to push to remove Ilias from the club despite the halfback requesting permission to explore his options elsewhere.

Ilias, who is much loved by his South Sydney teammates, called Bennett on Wednesday to get an understanding of where he stood, given the arrival of St Helens playmaker Lewis Dodd in 2025.

The Rabbitohs coach said he was happy for him to remain at the club and fight for his position, but would start behind Dodd in the pecking order. He also told Ilias that he could be used as a hooker. Ilias then informed Bennett of his desire to stay.

Reading that article it sounds like the pecking order for the 7 jersey is

1. Dodd
2. Illias
3. Humphreys

Will be interesting to see how he goes.

handyman2190

Bench
Hard to say how any of them will go at number 7. Humphreys, Dodd and Illias are all pretty unproven in the NRL. Illias will probably change positions but there's every chance we're running a Walker/Wighton combo halfway through the season which would be another disaster season. I wouldn't be paying a million a season for Hunt but if we have any cap space left it would be worth enquiring.
Stop dreaming,we need props and a winger, out of form ben hunt ,34, and top dollar, no cap and even if we did,no thanks,rather toby sexton

Walker 6 dodd 7 humpreys 9 ilias + mamouzelos off to the reggies where they belong both are duds both are not first grade players and never will be.what club would have ilias at 7 and mamouzelos at 9 souths thats who our recruitment is a dud ilias is a dud and mamouzelos is a dud.Only the smart people would understand what I am saying.

Eric the great

Juniors
Walker 6 dodd 7 humpreys 9 ilias + mamouzelos off to the reggies where they belong both are duds both are not first grade players and never will be.what club would have ilias at 7 and mamouzelos at 9 souths thats who our recruitment is a dud ilias is a dud and mamouzelos is a dud.Only the smart people would understand what I am saying.
Wow you off your pills again

speedster

Juniors
I hope to see Humphreys spending plenty of time at training at dh and competing with Pistol Pete who I have more time for than some on here. Mamo is not the worst and I've watched him over the years in reggies show some real spark and have some big attacking games. He hasn't transferred that to NRL level as yet but has been steadily working through his apprenticeship as Cook's understudy for the past few years.

But both these boys could spur each other on to find their best. Humphreys has more pace but I have barely seen him at dh yet and wonder what his passing game and skill is like from there. Hopefully they bring the best out in each other and whoever claims the 9 jersey is really playing well to keep the other at bay. I liked what little I saw of Humphreys in the trials and in that 1 NRL game when he got a go.

Latest posts