What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

speedster

Juniors
Just on that topic, I thought Keaon looked fit and strong for Tonga the other night. He is also one that is prone to quick weight gain if he slackens off at all. Of course, he'll return to training later than most along with the other rep guys so hopefully he doesn't let himself go in that time pre-xmas.

He was doing a bit of ball playing too playing at lock which was sometimes good and also one horror forward pass he will learn not to throw in future (I hope). But, interesting to see him expressing ball skills we rarely see when playing for Souths.

Will he play middle in 2025 with Wayne apparently recommending it earlier this year which coincided with us going on a winning streak? He'll have to play in the prop rotation unless Wayne decides to play Murray at edge which is uncertain but probably will stick with Cam at 13.

We are flush for locks at Souths with Murray and Keaon. Arrow is also really a natural 13 as is Duncan. But with Murray there, the other 3 have to play either at edge or in the middle rotation which is fine although none are of the large middle variety which is why I think we need one more big bopper still to compliment the mobile middles.

speedster

Juniors
Wonder if Wayne might consider throwing Nene McDonald a train & trial or dev contract to possibly be a candidate for a wing spot while AJ is still recovering. He would be quite reliable to have for depth I reckon. He would certainly get a good rap from JD and I'm sure Wayne still talks with JD regularly so there is a connection there.

Of course I hope Mellars has a break out preseason and earns that spot himself. I don't see Tass as a winger. Lacks the pace. It's centre of bust for Tass in my opinion.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Just on that topic, I thought Keaon looked fit and strong for Tonga the other night. He is also one that is prone to quick weight gain if he slackens off at all. Of course, he'll return to training later than most along with the other rep guys so hopefully he doesn't let himself go in that time pre-xmas.

He was doing a bit of ball playing too playing at lock which was sometimes good and also one horror forward pass he will learn not to throw in future (I hope). But, interesting to see him expressing ball skills we rarely see when playing for Souths.

Will he play middle in 2025 with Wayne apparently recommending it earlier this year which coincided with us going on a winning streak? He'll have to play in the prop rotation unless Wayne decides to play Murray at edge which is uncertain but probably will stick with Cam at 13.

We are flush for locks at Souths with Murray and Keaon. Arrow is also really a natural 13 as is Duncan. But with Murray there, the other 3 have to play either at edge or in the middle rotation which is fine although none are of the large middle variety which is why I think we need one more big bopper still to compliment the mobile middles.
Agree with all that, but he is still terrible at grounding the ball over the line

speedster

Juniors
Look, I thought he played quite well over all.
It's just that grounding a bouncing, wobbling ball in goal hasn't really ever been a strong suit of his....
It's a basic skill you'd think they would practice at training but maybe they don't drill it closely enough?

I would think the best practice would be to try to catch the ball on the up securely and then ground it unless it's traveling too quickly, you're in a tight race with a defender or it's close to the dead ball or touch-in-goal line.

I've found it really easy to do from my lounge chair. :)

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
It's a basic skill you'd think they would practice at training but maybe they don't drill it closely enough?

I would think the best practice would be to try to catch the ball on the up securely and then ground it unless it's traveling too quickly, you're in a tight race with a defender or it's close to the dead ball or touch-in-goal line.

I've found it really easy to do from my lounge chair. :)
Yeah, was having this very discussion today with workmates, we pretty much agreed with what you said.
By the way, I'm an expert at it from my lounge room coaching box 🤣

speedster

Juniors
Meanwhile, November 1 is almost upon us. Just another week and a bit to go and 2025 NRL calendar year ticks over, training commences and we push the 2024 season further into the back of our minds and into ancient history pronto.

Steenson123

Juniors
Buying hunt would be a bandage fix the guy is 35 and we don’t need two of the spine in there mid 30s so in a couple of years we would be back in the same position and with other teams coming into the comp halfbacks will be costly I hope Wayne can get the best out of the blokes we have and they flourish and we can spend our money on someone else in another position who is young and on the rise
Agreed. No Barry HUNT!!

Steenson123

Juniors
Saw a photo of Trell at Sea World with his family on Insta. He looks the slimmest I’ve ever seen looks like he’s lost about 12kg I barely recognised who it was.

Positive signs I think he’s taking it seriously.
This will be Mitchell's LAST shot at FB with The Crisps and probably his final chance to remain at the club.
No more fishing trips off The Heads and laughing about pre-season weight sessions. If he plays fools games Burt will simply terminate the man. Its that simple!

Steenson123

Juniors
Is there any SP about Campbell Graham?
Claro, sides need good men up front BUT Graham is SPECIAL both as a player and a leader.
Hearing nought about Graham I find concerning, given that by the start of next season he will not have played for some 18 months!
We cannot replace his class and committment!

Eric the great

Juniors
This will be Mitchell's LAST shot at FB with The Crisps and probably his final chance to remain at the club.
No more fishing trips off The Heads and laughing about pre-season weight sessions. If he plays fools games Burt will simply terminate the man. Its that simple!
Trell owes Wayne after he let him down leading into th 2021 finals and he hasnt rose to any great heights since so let’s hope he pushes all his demons to one side and gets on with the football everyone knows he is capable off

Rabbits20

Immortal
He finished his rookie year in 2024 as South Sydney's top tryscorer - but there will be no room for Jacob Gagai at the Bunnies next season.

The younger brother of Queensland State of Origin star Dane, Jacob was one of the few success stories at Souths in a troubled year in 2024.

He debuted in Las Vegas at the age of 28, scoring a try on the big stage, and went on to play 17 games for the club.

The speedy winger finished with nine tries - more than any of the Rabbitohs' flashy outside backs including Alex Johnston and Latrell Mitchell - but has not been offered a contract for 2025 and is expected to join English club Huddersfield in coming days.

"Jacob was a late bloomer and had a great season," his manager Gavin Orr told Wide World of Sports.

Jacob Gagai.

Jacob Gagai. Gettynormal

"In the end, his age (Gagai turns 29 in December) probably counted against him.

"Souths would have liked to keep him but had other priorities.

"But an opportunity has come up in Super League and it looks like he will be taking it."

Rabbits20

Immortal
Gagais been cut, going to huddersfield, just too old at 29 to take up a spot, good luck to him,tried hard
So, our wing/centre stocks for next season are:

Alex Johnson (returning from a ruptured Achilles)
Campbell Graham (returning from 18 months out with sternum injury)
Isaiah Tass (returning from long term ankle injury)
Jack Wighton (32 years old)
Tyrone Munro (7 NRL games)
Fletcher Myers (5 NRL games)
Haizyn Mellars (0 NRL games, 0 NSW Cup games, always injured)

We're one injury away from nuffies. Again. For like the 10th year in a row.

FFS.

All good to let Kennar, Milne and Gagai go but we’ve replaced them with nobody.