What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs Tales of Reinstatement

callmack1

Staff member
Thought this deserved it's own thread.

Today marks a very significant day for all Souths fans, it marks a day I'm sure we all will never forget and it marks one of the most important days in the club's history. We all know it, 20 years since reinstatement.

I was only a young fulla in primary school at the time so probably didn't realise the magnitude of the situation that had been going on for the past two years but I still remember this day 20 years ago clearly, as I'm sure we all do.

20 years on since South Sydney's biggest win: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/07/06/20-years-on-since-south-sydneys-biggest-win/

Winning the Fight: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/07/06/winning-the-fight/

To mark the occasion, here are all the tales of reinstatement if you've missed them.

"You can't have Rugby League without South Sydney." - Ray Martin: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...by-league-without-south-sydney.---ray-martin/

"Merge.... Or you're gone." - Whitney recalls lengths that others went through to destroy the Rabbitohs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...others-went-through-to-destroy-the-rabbitohs/

And Vossy broke down and cried: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/06/25/and-vossy-broke-down-and-cried/

"There's no way they could kick the South Sydney Rabbitohs out." - Wing: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-kick-the-south-sydney-rabbitohs-out.---wing/

"People had this big expectation we were going to make the Semi-Finals." - Coleman: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ere-going-to-make-the-semi-finals.---coleman/

"This is it, this is the end of the Club." - Pappas: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/06/29/this-is-it-this-is-the-end-of-the-club.---pappas/

"We weren't playing on a level playing field." - Coleman: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/06/29/we-werent-playing-on-a-level-playing-field.---coleman/

"It certainly was gloves off." - Denton: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/06/29/it-certainly-was-gloves-off.---denton/

"That was something you'll never see again." - Paul McNicholas: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ing-youll-never-see-again.---paul-mcnicholas/

It's a bit like St.George and the Dragon: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/07/02/its-a-bit-like-st.george-and-the-dragon/

"I didn't want to be the last Captain." - Garlick: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/07/05/i-didnt-want-to-be-the-last-captain.---garlick/

Rabbits20

Immortal

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I highly recommend reading the book "George Piggins - Never Say Die - The Fight to Save the Rabbitohs"

It's absolutely shocking and stunning the lies, cheating, rorting and corruption that prick Murdoch ALMOST got away with, in particular, the criteria that was used in 1999 to decide which teams would be admitted to the new competition based on solvency.

It was based on money available at the end of the '99 season, and Souths - who told the truth - were deemed financially non viable.

In the end, the court case uncovered how some clubs had been bankrolled by Murdoch to the tune over millions, in some club's cases, more than 10 MILLION DOLLARS!

Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Canterbury, Cronulla, Nth Qld, Penrith, Melbourne

Read it - it's shocking. It'd take too long to type out, but some examples include:
Nth Qld - 16 million in 1996, 29 million in 1997
Brisbane - 9 million for 1998-99
Canberra - 7.5 million in '98, 9.3 million in '99
Melbourne - 5.8 million in '99, on top of "player top up payments"

Melbourne, Penrith, Cronulla, Auckland and Nth Qld were all insolvent without this money. Auckland went broke after 2000, the franchise wound up, and a new franchise had to be be started.

And they kicked us out because they claimed we had $875,000.

You young'uns' should read this book, then you will think differently about these clubs, Super League, FOX, News Ltd, The Daily Telegraph, the journalists who worked for them, and that bastard Murdoch.

Murdoch tried to kill the whole league, kill nearly 100 year of history, kill us and our supporters and the suburbs represented by South Sydney for his own personal gain and pleasure.

How's the rugby Super League going? It's dying and is just about dead.

Look what Murdoch has done to democracy in the USA, supporting a fascist dictator in an attempted coup on a legit election and democracy.

F...you Murdoch

callmack1

Staff member
Awesome stuff from the club to put all this together in one big story. Finally!!

I remember when it was announced they were gonna do a doco of it, I got super pumped because this is something us fans have been crying out for for years!

Can't wait to watch the first episode, will probably watch tomorrow night.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I just finished the first episode @callmack1 you’ll love it mate and it will touch you on a deep level what a story and what emotion etc plus all that stepped up without them we have no Rabbitohs to support today!

Looking forward to ep 2 now. Ep 1 had me fully engaged on every word

Rabbits20

Immortal
@callmack1 the Lissing boys as well I know of them today mate I talk with them a lot and I have them as friends on facebooks. What they did to contribute for us mate they’re bloody legends what champions!

I see one of the Lissing boys in my local community we always stop and chat and at games too.

Even though they’re getting on these days they still get right into it at the games dont you worry about that!

I highly recommend reading the book "George Piggins - Never Say Die - The Fight to Save the Rabbitohs"

It's absolutely shocking and stunning the lies, cheating, rorting and corruption that prick Murdoch ALMOST got away with, in particular, the criteria that was used in 1999 to decide which teams would be admitted to the new competition based on solvency.

It was based on money available at the end of the '99 season, and Souths - who told the truth - were deemed financially non viable.

In the end, the court case uncovered how some clubs had been bankrolled by Murdoch to the tune over millions, in some club's cases, more than 10 MILLION DOLLARS!

Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Canterbury, Cronulla, Nth Qld, Penrith, Melbourne

Read it - it's shocking. It'd take too long to type out, but some examples include:
Nth Qld - 16 million in 1996, 29 million in 1997
Brisbane - 9 million for 1998-99
Canberra - 7.5 million in '98, 9.3 million in '99
Melbourne - 5.8 million in '99, on top of "player top up payments"

Melbourne, Penrith, Cronulla, Auckland and Nth Qld were all insolvent without this money. Auckland went broke after 2000, the franchise wound up, and a new franchise had to be be started.

And they kicked us out because they claimed we had $875,000.

You young'uns' should read this book, then you will think differently about these clubs, Super League, FOX, News Ltd, The Daily Telegraph, the journalists who worked for them, and that bastard Murdoch.

Murdoch tried to kill the whole league, kill nearly 100 year of history, kill us and our supporters and the suburbs represented by South Sydney for his own personal gain and pleasure.

How's the rugby Super League going? It's dying and is just about dead.

Look what Murdoch has done to democracy in the USA, supporting a fascist dictator in an attempted coup on a legit election and democracy.

F...you Murdoch
Those super league teams were paid 30 - 40 million dollars or more for what was only one year - i think it was originally a 5 year deal to play in that comp and when the comps merged they were paid out in full.

Norths and Wests never recovered in having to pay overs to keep players from going to super league and other clubs such as Balmain and Manly were not financial flush either forcing unwanted mergers.

Reggies were being paid 250k a season back then as well- be like Christmas to those players - would be lucky to make 250k in their careers as a reggies player

Last edited:
Yeah I have a barrister friend that gave up the league altogether on the back of Souths being booted. He didn’t even support you guys, just lost interest.

He started getting back into the game about 10 years later and you won him over and he’s Souths all the way.

He used to play, junior clubs, a giant massive back. Beautiful honesty about the pain, suffering and injury of the game.

He’s does a lot of stuff with mental health patients including trying to get the sane ones out. That would be tricky up against medical people.

I’ve even seen him give a poor street alco $20 to get his fix. No judgment, no life lesson or talking down, just helped a bloke whose shaking looking bloody desperate.

There’s some good people in the world. Wears that old Souths beanie without the Pom Pom.

He was 45 when he signed up in the service of the Rabbitohs and was soon rewarded with his premiership in 2015, sorry 2014. So never too late.

That’s his story from the reinstatement. I got a few more I’ll share if you want.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Those super league teams were paid 30 - 40 million dollars or more for what was only one year - i think it was originally a 5 year deal to play in that comp and when the comps merged they were paid out in full.

Norths and Wests never recovered in having to pay overs to keep players from going to super league and other clubs such as Balmain and Manly were not financial flush either forcing unwanted mergers.

Reggies were being paid 250k a season back then as well- be like Christmas to those players - would be lucky to make 250k in their careers as a reggies player
Yes, that is the point George Piggins is making in his book. The new league (with News Ltd lawyers) set the financial criteria, then Murdoch came in and bankrolled those clubs I stated from his book above, WITH THE FULL INTENTION to ensure Souths, Balmain, Wests, Norths, Illawarra were all killed off.

Your last point, that's not really the point because Nth Qld, Cronulla, Penirth, and especially Melbourne received player "top up payments" which with their salaries at the time (remember, the salary cap didn't work like it does now), FAR EXCEEDED the 250K you mention - this was just scraps off the table to keep people quiet and divert their attention from their killing off.

As at the booting off:-

It was a bridge too far for corporate control, the isolation and estrangement of hundreds of thousands of people.

There were many stories players at other clubs who were saddened and upset.

People left the game, Rugby Union was getting bigger as people had enough of league.

Crowds and the big marquee soo etc saw a drop in attendance. Sponsors upped and walked away.

The powerful did what they could to inflate and spin to no avail. The game was on life support. A lot of people hated it.

As i understand it, Souths still had a side but not in the top league. That isn’t well known.

Of course, the cold blooded murder of Souths did nothing to lift any of the struggling clubs or improve the game.

On a percentage crowd, ratings and participant basis, the game is yet to recover. Its a wound that will never properly heal.

A lot of journalists lost all credibility. There’s the body of your Reggie lying in the hallway. Blood all over him, dagger in his fluffy white back and they dare not look down lest their bosses see them.

It was the biggest crime scene in sporting history.

My next post will refer to some of the highlights of Souths in recovery.

Such as:

Callmack might not remember, but somewhere in the 2000s, Souths were one of the first sides to boast a side consisting of almost entirely Pacific Islander, Maori and indigenous players.

Sides selected on footy merit that just so happened to consist of many from these cultures. It was a portent to all of the exceptional players from these awesome cultures we see today.

They called you the “black rabbits” as a term of endearment and respect. And this group led the recovery into 2011 where your club went berserker and is still there.

There was a lot of fight and friendship with Souths v Warriors in NZ -as many of the players families from NZ and the islands went to the game to see their nephew in the red and green. It was very close, cosy and nice feel about it.

Like the Samoans living door to me, extended family. My kids are crazy about them, on some days, I wish they’d stay over!

The indigenous ties to Souths from our first people here are even stronger!

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
I'm yet to watch any of it. I said to myself I'd watch it in the Off-Season and still keen as to do so.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Another awesome episode had me captivated for every single minute and second as has everyone episode so far. The trainer at the end with a little insight into episode 6 I can’t wait for when the comes out.

Man @callmack1 you are gonna love it when you do watch these episodes it’s gonna be one of the best things you’ve ever watched trust me!