What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race to 100 Tries & Beyond for Parramatta - Gutho & Sivo

Thanks for that captain obvious contribution champ... is someone not allowed to have a differing opinion around here?

I just hope Gutho stays for a bit before being released - which might also reduce any freight payment we'd potentially carry - and has the opportunity to climb up that ladder. Is it what it is...

Gronk

Staff member
Sivo earned his tries you muppet.
As did Gutho.
It is what it is.
I honestly hate comments like this.
Disparaging a 100 try Eels player.
Shame on you.
I think it’s sad that Sivo has left the club with a “see ya, don’t let the door it you on the way out” because as you say, he’s one of our and NRL’s most prolific try scorers - in history.

Here, he is not recognised as a good player at all.

Meanwhile, on his exit, he leaves such a beautiful heartfelt message to us fans.

eel01s

Bench
On try scoring stats Sivo should be regarded as an Eels legend. However there will always be the rider that he was lazy and wouldn't take a hit up at full speed.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think it’s sad that Sivo has left the club with a “see ya, don’t let the door it you on the way out” because as you say, he’s one of our and NRL’s most prolific try scorers - in history.

Here, he is not recognised as a good player at all.

Meanwhile, on his exit, he leaves such a beautiful heartfelt message to us fans.
Maybe if he wasn’t such a lazy merkin he wouldn’t cop half the heat. Look at someone like Simo he has half his talent and he makes some bonehead plays but he’s always trying his arse off.

Plus he’s not here anymore, so maybe the critical fans were on the money??

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe if he wasn’t such a lazy merkin he wouldn’t cop half the heat. Look at someone like Simo he has half his talent and he makes some bonehead plays but he’s always trying his arse off.

Plus he’s not here anymore, so maybe the critical fans were on the money??
I think you missed the point.

Gronk

Staff member
Not really, he would be remembered much more fondly if he wasn’t such a lazy merkin. Pretty self explanatory really.

Nothing pisses fans off more than merkins not having a go.

There's that and there's this. Pretty sure there was an ACL in the mix somewhere too. He was also playing for a team that wasn't traveling consistently well every year. No he wasn't perfect and I yelled at him too.

It is a shame that he wasn't Semi 2.0. However in hindsight, he did pretty good. As I said, I just think it's a shame that he's not getting recognised for what he did good. Seriously 115 games and 104 tries is a f**king good knock.

1729822191681.png

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There's that and there's this. Pretty sure there was an ACL in the mix somewhere too. He was also playing for a team that wasn't traveling consistently well every year. No he wasn't perfect and I yelled at him too.

It is a shame that he wasn't Semi 2.0. However in hindsight, he did pretty good. As I said, I just think it's a shame that he's not getting recognised for what he did good. Seriously 115 games and 104 tries is a f**king good knock.

View attachment 95765
None of this has anything to do with being lazy and not having a crack at times.

T.S Quint

Coach
On try scoring stats Sivo should be regarded as an Eels legend. However there will always be the rider that he was lazy and wouldn't take a hit up at full speed.

I think he did very well to be such a prolific tryscorer, even though he is such an average player.
It's amazing.

Nathan Merritt mk2.

Gronk

Staff member
None of this has anything to do with being lazy and not having a crack at times.
Exactly the same as Jarryd Hayne. However we can still pull our heads out of our arses and give a player a nod to what they were good at and the great memories they were part of.

Eelogical

Referee
Sivo.
Ability to find the try line from 10 metres out : 9/10.
Taking a bomb under pressure : 5/10
Play the ball speed: 5/10
Open field speed for a winger: 4/10
Kick returns : 6/10
Tackling discipline around the shoulder: 5/10
How to read the play while in defence on the try line: 5/10

Suitman

Post Whore
Sivo.
Ability to find the try line from 10 metres out : 9/10.
Taking a bomb under pressure : 5/10
Play the ball speed: 5/10
Open field speed for a winger: 4/10
Kick returns : 6/10
Tackling discipline around the shoulder: 5/10
How to read the play while in defence on the try line: 5/10

Harsh.

Suitman

Post Whore

View attachment 95765

Extraordinary stats.

Was he lazy at times bringing the ball back from kicks? Absolutely.

Yet, there was an equal number of moments when he wasn't lazy actually and he put in big time, particularly in defence.
It wasn't his fault that on many of those occasions his inside defenders were numpties leaving him in two minds. Eric Grothe Jnr used to be accused of the same defensive mistakes.
Defensively, wingers are on a hiding to nothing and more often than not have to cover up the deficiencies of their inside defenders.
Furthermore, whenever Parra were on the offense and attacking, I rarely remember him shirking his duties. It's probably why he has such an amazing try-scoring record for games played. It must be remembered that a lot of those games were while we were a pretty shite team.

I for one will forever be remembering Sivo for only the positives that he brought to our club, because there were so many more of those than negatives.
We dragged him out of Penrith's reserves, and he scored over 100 tries in six seasons for us while we were mostly shite, yet some people are glad to see the back of him.
I just don't get some of you lot.

Suitman

Post Whore
Mostly shite?
We made the finals in his first 4 seasons of FG. Only in his last two seasons did we not make the finals.

You know what I mean.
Besides '22, we were never a great side.
Even then, we played pretty average football.
He never actually played in a GREAT side, yet his try-scoring stats were pretty remarkable.

T.S Quint

Coach
You know what I mean.
Besides '22, we were never a great side.
Even then, we played pretty average football.
He never actually played in a GREAT side, yet his try-scoring stats were pretty remarkable.

Ok, not a great side.
But 2 of those 4 years we finished top 4. The other two just outside the top 4.

When I think of shite teams I tend to think of 2011-2013. Now those were some absolute shite teams.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yet, there was an equal number of moments when he wasn't lazy actually and he put in big time, particularly in defence.
It wasn't his fault that on many of those occasions his inside defenders were numpties leaving him in two minds. Eric Grothe Jnr used to be accused of the same defensive mistakes.
Defensively, wingers are on a hiding to nothing and more often than not have to cover up the deficiencies of their inside defenders.
I guarantee for every try Sivo scored untouched (and there were plenty) there were opposition fans screaming at their own winger to STAY ON YOUR WING FFS!!!

Latest posts