What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rah-rahs put us to shame - Gould's column

nqboy

First Grade
http://smh.com.au/news/League/Rahrahs-put-us-to-shame/2004/12/18/1103312787494.html?from=moreStories

I don't know about you but I could not help feeling more than a little jealous of the Australian Rugby Union when it announced Perth as the successful bidder for the fourth Super 14 franchise in Australia. To tell the truth, as a devout rugby league fan I felt bloody embarrassed over the whole thing.

The manner in which the ARU reached and announced its final decision this month was a credit to the people involved and an embarrassment to the administration of our NRL.

The ARU showed professionalism, expertise and independence in the way it conducted this very important exercise. When Super 12 rugby officials announced they were increasing their competition to 14 teams, the ARU seized upon the opportunity to expand horizons here in Australia.

It proudly announced it would have a fourth rugby franchise and called for applications.

It didn't ask permission from other Super 12 organisations; it didn't seek approval from media partners and sponsors. On the contrary, it sold the idea to sponsors and broadcasters, in effect telling them: "This is what we are going to do and how exciting is it going to be?"

The bidding process was short and sweet. The manner in which the applicants, Melbourne and Perth, used the media to state individual cases was a lesson to rugby league.

The excitement generated over the examination period and the elation and sorrow witnessed at the announcement of the decision was superbly orchestrated.

When you compare this with how the NRL handled the Central Coast, Gold Coast and Wellington bids, you can see how the ARU puts the NRL to shame.

The NRL never called for applicants. Nevertheless, it allowed these three areas to apply and had them believe they were a chance.

They spent millions, approached local, state and federal governments and promoted the idea to fans and junior league organisations.

The NRL subjected these people to 12 months of pressure, stress and false hope, and allowed the media to interfere with the bidding process.

The NRL administration asked the NRL clubs for opinions and preferences.

In the end none of this mattered because News Ltd was always going to have the final say and it listens to only one bloke when it comes to rugby league decisions. This bloke was against the Gold Coast and Central Coast so there was never going to be any expansion.

The NRL wasted the time and emotions of all concerned and the final announcement quite sadly broke the spirit of many enthusiastic people. We are a joke.

But there are some interesting points to come out of all this.

Firstly, the decision to select Perth rather than Melbourne is interesting.

When John Quayle was running rugby league he made the same decision back in 1994. He had cultivated Perth over a number of years and decided the time was right. He knew to steer clear of AFL in Melbourne and knew Perth had a core group of rugby league supporters.

Sadly, Perth then signed up with Super League in 1995 and the rest is history. Like most things Super League touched it was stuffed in a few short years and the players were sent packing to Melbourne and other clubs. Perth was lost to rugby league.

Secondly, it was interesting to note the comments made by the Minister for Sport in Victoria, Justin Madden.

Of the ARU and Melbourne, he said: "Imagine how relieved the AFL would be if you award the team to Perth and imagine how soccer will welcome the announcement of Perth. It will guarantee them No.2 spot in Melbourne."

I don't see the words rugby league anywhere in that sentence. That's right, the Minister for Sport in Victoria is saying AFL, soccer and rugby union all hold pride of place over rugby league. In fact, rugby league did not even get a mention.

So what the bloody hell are we still doing in Melbourne when this is all the impression we have made after six years and millions of dollars?

The Gold Coast and Central Coast are crying out for rugby league recognition. They have the support of local and state governments, not to mention sponsors and fans, but we ignore them and persevere with sinking millions into Melbourne.

During the bidding the Victorian Government pledged $100 million to build a new stadium at Olympic Park if Melbourne was awarded the Super 14 franchise.

Has such a generous offer ever been made to the rugby league?

Has anyone from the NRL ever approached the Victorian Government suggesting it build a new stadium for the Storm?

Since Melbourne's bid failed, has anyone from the NRL approached the Victorian Government to see if that funding is still available?

I read somewhere that this money may still be available for Olympic Park, but we would have to share the ground with other sporting bodies.

Have we spoken to the Victorian Government? Maybe someone has but we haven't heard about it.

I guess the Victorian Government might rightly question the NRL on how long it intends to support a Melbourne team before it considers any funding for a rugby league-shaped ground.

Maybe we don't have the answer to that little poser, so it is best we avoid the question.

We shall watch the situation with great interest.

Willie right not to toe the line

Congratulations to big Willie Mason for having the courage to stand up and tell the truth about the injury he sustained playing for the Kangaroos against the US in Philadelphia last month.

Mason has no doubt the injury was caused by the artificial turf the guys were made to play on, giving a further boost to the argument that the game was poorly organised.

Mason has had surgery on his right foot after separating the first and second metatarsal bones and rupturing the ligaments that hold them together. He is expected to be sidelined until June.

The silence has been deafening from the NRL and other media organisations since Mason's comments. It is the last thing they wanted anyone to say publicly.

I applaud Mason and thank him for his honesty. Fans want honesty in reporting. Not misrepresentations and agendas. Just the facts.

Mason and the Bulldogs are entitled to heavy compensation for this injury. I would support any claim they made against the NRL, whether for financial restitution or concessions under the salary cap to replace Mason and injured teammate Mark O'Meley for the time they are unavailable.

Our elite blokes play too much football as it is, without subjecting them to a game such as this, at the end of a long season, on an unsuitable surface. To pass it off by saying injuries are part of the game is treating the players with disrespect.

I was also very impressed with the ARU expansion process, why do RL people keep shooting the game in the foot?

t-ba

Post Whore
I think Melbourne is indeed a problem with the game. I don't think it should be booted out like Gould is implying, but certainly it needs a fresh start. Waldron is this fresh start.

The problem is Ribot imo. His last job was at the Broncs, in an RL mad city where the club didn't need to advertise itself (Though, rather Ironically, it really needs to now to compete Att wise with the well advertised Fitzroy Bears)

He took this marketing principle with him to the Storm, and they consequently suffered. Waldron may be the man for the job in Melbourne. lets hope so anyway.

drake

First Grade
For all we say Gould is a dickhead, the man has hit the nail on the head this time.
Good call Phil.

Eelectrica

Referee
Ye gods! I agree with Phil gould for once :shock:

At least the Gold Coast will get some more chances to once again prove the interest up here with the two trial games and what should be a great NRL clash.
Although I really believe the Gold Coast will have a team by 2008.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Gould's Column said:
Fans want honesty in reporting. Not misrepresentations and agendas. Just the facts.

the irony of this line, gould is the f**kin master of misrepresentations and agendas in his reporting... ok i went a bit over board, he is 2nd only to Rebecca Wilson
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
Gould and his mates DEMANDED the death of the Perth Reds as part of the "settlement"...... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o Talk about partial amnesia....

greeneyed

First Grade
And not only that.... he is NOW demanding the death of Melbourne Storm as well...... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o The hypocrisy of the guy is flabbergasting.

simon says

First Grade
All clubs that are MADE up are an abomination IMHO....no history,no tradtion,no love............get rid of em.

Gee Id miss Canberra if they were fair dunkum and made it a Country side.......imagine Tigers v Country at Bathurst.....Wagga wherever.

Raider_69

Post Whore
keep dreamin simon, keep dreamin
canberra are here to stay, we wont be merged and we wont be booted out.
Your gonna have to square with that one day.

greeneyed

First Grade
Simon.... EVERY club was "made up" at some point. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your second paragraph seems to make no sense.....

simon says

First Grade
Look...I'll make it simple for you.....I know you arent a rocket scientist.

Canberra pillage the country for their side.Instead of taking the glory for their thievery,they should make Canberra into "Country" and play their home games in all the country towns like Wagga.Bathurst,Lismore etc.

It'd be great for the game,the Country would have a real team to support,and I wouldnt have to look at those vile Green jerseys and llisten to you teen angst riddled children whining anymore.

Cheers.

Matt M

Juniors
All Melbourne really need is a lot of publicity and good marketing. Right now News Ltd makes sure that they don't go broke every year. If there was an effort made you would see crowds go up.

rugged

Juniors
Although I agree with most of the first bit, I don't at all agree with the second bit about Mason.

Even though it was stupid to play on a field as narrow as what they did in Philadelphia, why would the surface be to blame? NFL players do maneouvres similar to what Mason was doing all the time. Why would anyone think before the game that a multimillion dollar surface would cause more injuries? Every time there is a different surface and someone gets injured they always say it is the surface. What about all the other injuries on normal surfaces? (by the way, I have studied sports injuries and I would say the shifting sands of Suncorp at the time would have made Hodges injury less likely as usually a cruciate ligament is caused when the foot stays still and the body is forced around it - if the sand moves, unlike studs in grass, the injury would be less likely IMO.

greeneyed

First Grade
simon says said:
Look...I'll make it simple for you.....I know you arent a rocket scientist.

Canberra pillage the country for their side.Instead of taking the glory for their thievery,they should make Canberra into "Country" and play their home games in all the country towns like Wagga.Bathurst,Lismore etc.

It'd be great for the game,the Country would have a real team to support,and I wouldnt have to look at those vile Green jerseys and llisten to you teen angst riddled children whining anymore.

Cheers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I understand why you don't want to see our green jersey out there. Almost 50 years since your club has seen a win. The green machine dominated in 1989....

Plus, now the Raiders are doing such a good job of developing their region, the Sydney clubs don't find it so easy to "thieve" the area for themselves and have to rely on their own areas.

Putting aside the idea that Canberra should somehow transform into "Country", and looking at the proposition of a "NSW Country" side in the NRL: it wouldn't be workable and it would not be financially sustainable. There are no facilities for a NRL team in the towns you mention. The lack of home base, the ceaseless travelling you are proposing etc... it would be a disaster.

Rexxy

Coach
nqboy said:
In the end none of this mattered because News Ltd was always going to have the final say and it listens to only one bloke when it comes to rugby league decisions.

it's Sunday so my brain is at the office. But who is Gus referring to here? One bloke says what goes when it comes to League? ??????[/code]

bobbis

Juniors
Can't really agree with Gould sure the first bit where he says how the ARU expands more professionally than the NRL is right but after that can't agree with anything he says. He compliments the ARU on expanding then suggests the NRL should pack up and leave Melbourne, if the Storm were a burden on the game as so many think, given News Limited see the NRL as simply a business and also own the storm wouldnt they close them down. The storm brings the NRL a market of 5 million Victorians who while they may not turn up to games many of them still watch them on TV, infact i think more Melbournians watch the NRL GF than Sydney people watch the AFL GF, given TV money means a lot more in the grand scheme of things than 1 team that gets appalling crowds I really can't see it making any financial sense what so ever abandoning the storm.