What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rah-rahs put us to shame - Gould's column

The past? More like the future.

The future of Australian Rugby League lies in continuing to develop a vibrant and exciting competition on the eastern seaboard.

You expansion lunatics crack me up.

Re-locate a team in Adelaide, give Perth a club, ship the Dogs off to Wellington blah blah blah.

Stuff that. Apart from being non-achievable a national comp isn't even desirable.

rugged

Juniors
Yes, the only reason why the AFL comp has taken root nationally is because of the huge number of Victorians that have moved interstate for obvious reasons.

perth sharkie

Juniors
Daithi O'Conaill said:

The future of Australian Rugby League lies in continuing to develop a vibrant and exciting competition on the eastern seaboard.

Re-locate a team in Adelaide, give Perth a club, ship the Dogs off to Wellington blah blah blah.

Stuff that. Apart from being non-achievable a national comp isn't even desirable.

That's right. Let the AFL, Rugby Union and soccer dominate the national market and push rugby league out. The NRL can remain a provincial competition. And while we're at it, they may as well drop the "National" tag as well... :roll:

greeneyed

First Grade
Yes, the people who ignore the national market are living in the past. It is ALL about the national TV market. Teams in the Central Coast and Gold Coast don't matter one zot in relation to the national TV market.

greeneyed said:
Yes, the people who ignore the national market are living in the past. It is ALL about the national TV market. Teams in the Central Coast and Gold Coast don't matter one zot in relation to the national TV market.

Qld and NSW = two highest state populations in Australia with Queensland being the fastest growing in the country.

We've already got a presence in the third most populated state with The Storm.

We're set.

Forget the badlands. Stick to the green belt.

The future is bright, as long as we'd don’t let the expansionist nut cases have their way.

perth sharkie said:
Daithi O'Conaill said:

That's right. Let the AFL, Rugby Union and soccer dominate the national market and push rugby league out. The NRL can remain a provincial competition. And while we're at it, they may as well drop the "National" tag as well... :roll:

Push Rugby League out from where?

Adelaide?

Perth??

Broome???

We'd have to be there to be pushed out in the first place.

Nuke

Staff member
Perth 2008. Either a relocated side or brand-new team.
My reliable sources tell me the NRL and WARL are working hard with this aim in their sights.

Watch for it.

Paul Condon

Juniors
Gould is a good coach, but offers opinions from if he was the nrl chief. Obviously he doesn't know everthing that is going on, and is right to ask.
However the main issue is about none of 3 expansion teams being allowed in. I think whoever is pulling the decision making strings has got it wrong. All 3 bids looked good financially, they should have given concrete reasons as to why they said no.
If all 3 were fazed in over the next 5 years that would give them a time frame to work on.
At the moment, money is being wasted in a war of attrition.