What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
ok, obviously a lot to go through here but for this first part I'm going to address the performance itself.

Flat, very flat is how I would describe that and it was obvious from the first set of 6, there was no speed at all in what we were doing and urgency in both attack and defence. It was no unexpected for me because when you score so many points and the media talks your attack up, as sure as the day is long, you will come up with a poor attacking display.

We did bomb 3 tries in the first sin bin period as well, we just couldn't get over the line. The 2nd half was a lot better in terms of dominating field position but the raiders kept turning up and deserved their win. It was nice to almost tie it at the end but we didn't deserve it IMO. I felt sorry for Kez as he is 3rd string at best and he looked distraught to miss it but it ain't his fault.

3 Teddy - nearly dragged us over the line on his own.
2 Toops
1 Collins

So, on the performance itself, I'm not too bothered about it. These things happen and I would much rather it happen now than in the finals. I think Robbo was of the same opinion as in the presser he said he was intrigued to see what would happen when the attack doesn't click. We didn't get the job done but it was hardly a disastrous effort either.

The elephant in the room are these f**king injuries. I would be more than happy to accept the result and move on with a healthy squad. It was devastating to see Sam hobble off with what we all knew was going to be an ACL tear and then it was compounded with Brandon getting his due to foul play and then the Radley shoulder injury. I thought we were due some luck with injuries after the last 4 seasons but it's not to be. This is the 4th time in 5 years that we have lost two players to an ACL in the same game so that's at least 8 ACLs in that time. I would be intrigued to know the figures from the other clubs.

Obviously it puts a huge dent in our chances BUT we are still in 3rd place and we still have the cattle to give it a good go although absolutely everything will need to go right for us. Sam is impossible to cover but Sandon Smith gets his chance now and at least him and Sualii can cover the goal kicking. Brandon Smith to be quite honest on form is not that hard to replace, I really like Watson in the position and Dockar-Clay as shown tremendous upside. The Radley injury I'm not clear on if that actually is season ending but we will see.

At the end of the day it's next man up and they need to get on with things and give it their best shot. The one advantage we have now is no one thinks we are a chance, the pressure is completely off. it needs to be a seige mentality from here and as @Babyface O'reilly said to me after the game, we will be watching with low expectation but an open mind that this team can buckle down for 3-4 games and produce something special. This week's game is meaningless, our next meaningful game is finals week 1 regardless of who that is against and where. It would be nice to beat souths to at least put pressure eon Penrith to perform against the titans.

H.H

Juniors
Yeah disappointing performance for sure and the writing was on the wall before the injuries that is for sure.

As I've said before, I just feel like we have again been shown up when a team stands up to us and pushes back. We just don't like it. Penrith and Storm the obvious examples but other games like the Cowboys and Manly in round 2 stand out.

Really hard to give points this week. I was at the game and without watching a replay, this is what I saw:

3 - Watson
2 - Ted
1 - Toops

Hard to see us doing anything serious from here, but yeah let's hope they can find something special as they'll need it.

Valheru

Coach
Well looks like rads doesn't require surgery so that's one good bit of news and he may well be right for finals.

Headless Chook

Juniors
It’s always tough handing out points after a disappointing loss and lack lustre performance. A few bombed tries didn’t help but on the whole we probably didn’t deserve to win. Congrats to the Raiders.

3. Tedesco
2. Collins
1. Toops

What’s people’s thoughts on Robbo‘s comments on Whitehead? Should he have come out and said what he said? It’s a pretty big statement to basically label someone a serial hip drop offender and to say he’s been doing it his whole career. I must admit I have no idea whether hes right or wrong, but can’t see what point it serves bringing it up at a press conference, especially after a loss. It gives the media something to talk about I suppose. That said he did generously praise the Raiders for their performance so in context of the entire presser the Whitehead thing didn’t seem like sour grapes.

Great summary @Valheru
I’m not gonna add too much just to say I was proud they dug in til the end. Bummed for Sammy, Cheese and Rads.
It was just a spoiling game from Raiders and we simply weren’t prepared for a street fight. Our hands let us down which is not something we’re not used to. Thought it was Manu’s best game since coming back from injury but would like to see more from him especially now as his time with us draws to a close.

Going forwards, I‘d like to see Keary step up as he’s been a little anonymous since Sam took over control of the team. Teddy will of course but I hope he doesn’t overplay his hand and tries to do too much as he’s done in the past - trust your team, Teddy. I’ve been stoked in Watson’s games this year and here’s his opportunity to step up further which I’m confident he’ll do. Young Sandon gets his chance to shine and he won’t get a better on field mentor than Kez. Suaalii will be back and will want to go out on a high. I’m looking forward to see how Whyte, Docker-Clay, Wong or Steep fare come finals especially now as there’ll be no pressure given that everyone‘s written us off so I hope the boys chance their arms and play fun, attacking football rather than play conservative. Here’s hoping.

3. Teddy
2. Connor
1. Toops

It’s always tough handing out points after a disappointing loss and lack lustre performance. A few bombed tries didn’t help but on the whole we probably didn’t deserve to win. Congrats to the Raiders.

3. Tedesco
2. Collins
1. Toops

What’s people’s thoughts on Robbo‘s comments on Whitehead? Should he have come out and said what he said? It’s a pretty big statement to basically label someone a serial hip drop offender and to say he’s been doing it his whole career. I must admit I have no idea whether hes right or wrong, but can’t see what point it serves bringing it up at a press conference, especially after a loss. It gives the media something to talk about I suppose. That said he did generously praise the Raiders for their performance so in context of the entire presser the Whitehead thing didn’t seem like sour grapes.
Not fussed with the presser. In fact, I hope it’s all people talk about and keep the attention away from the team. It’s worked for Bennett for years.

Latest posts