What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders' Jones retires

Pumba

First Grade
Raiders Ben Jones hangs up the boots

Hardworking Canberra Raiders forward Ben Jones has played his last game for the Green Machine, after announcing today his retirement from rugby league.

Jones, 28, finished the season early in 2008 after a knee cartilage injury, and decided following surgery last week that he would not pursue a contract renewal with the Raiders or any other Rugby League club.

Jones said family commitments and an opportunity to return home to Redcliffe in Queensland was the catalyst for his decision, and said he had no regrets in what has been a fine career with the Raiders.

"My Partner Jodie and I have decided to go home to Brisbane, and with my daughter Sienna and another child on the way we've decided to go home and go into business with my father," Jones said. "There was an offer from the Raiders and they have been great to me and I thank them for all of their support, but in the end it was time for me to retire."

Arriving at the club at the end of 2004 from Penrith, Jones was given the chance to play in the NRL in 2006 under the coaching of Matt Elliott, and he credited both Elliott and incoming Coach David Furner for developing him into an NRL level player.

"There was an opportunity to play first grade for me under Matt Elliott, and after a couple of years at Penrith I thought I would never get the chance to play NRL, but coming to the Raiders provided that," he said. "I had a good year with David Furner in Premier League in 2005 and I've got a lot to thank him for, his coaching brought me a long way and opened the door for me to play first grade."

Jones played 33 NRL matches over three seasons with the Green Machine and said he had plenty of fine memories of his time in Canberra, especially round one in 2006 when the Raiders knocked off the more fancied Manly Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval.

"Making my debut in 2006 was unbelievable and besides having my daughter it was the best day of my life," he said. "Another highlight for me was playing in Toots (Jason Croker's) last game, in the semi-final against the Bulldogs in 2006, but there have been plenty of memories to cherish."

Jones said he looked forward to watching the Raiders continue to rise in the seasons ahead, and wished the club all the best for the future.

"There's no doubt the Raiders are on the rise and they will be even stronger in 2009," Jones said. "They have a great team coming together and I wish them the best."

Link

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Didn't see that coming.

Solid player, a few too many errors in his game though.

Thanks for your efforts Ben , I thought he was a solid defender.

He might of struggled for a spot next year , looks like Bronson Harrison might join us for next year.

Macko8

Juniors
Thanks for your efforts Ben , I thought he was a solid defender.

He might of struggled for a spot next year , looks like Bronson Harrison might join us for next year.

cheers benny boy,hope you enjoy retirement.

bronson harrison would be a massive boost for our forward stocks.rumoured we are after danny galea as well

Mick_63

Juniors
Thanks for your efforts Ben.
You could produce a big hit amongst some very solid defence.
Good luck in retirement.

Good luck to "The Neck".

All the best.

80K or less, it's still some more change added to our paper stack. It's only a matter of time before we nab someone of high status.

dubby

Bench
Dont count on it bobby; alot of coin is being used to retain our promising NYC players and to upgrade Campo, TLL (hopefully he signs) etc

Chachi

Bench
All the best in the future Benno.

He was a great squad member and a really solid player in reserves. I thought he filled in admirably when given the chance in FG, but was never going to be part of a premiership winning team.

At least Furner seems to have a plan and is making all the right moves to strenghthen the club rather than tread water and re-sign players for the sake of it (Elliott style).