What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Poised To Sign Fifita

possm

Coach
Reports that David Fifita and his partner .

Canberra are preparing to offer Titans star David Fifita a $2.7 million deal over three-years, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The Raiders will also off Fifita’s partner Shaylee Bent a contract to join Canberra’s inaugural NRLW side in 2023.

The Gold Coast signed Fifita on a mammoth $1.2 million per season deal but the extension they’re set to table is $700,000.

Despite the cash on offer in Canberra, Titans coach Justin Holbrook believes he’ll keep his star backrower.

“I’m confident David will stay,” Holbrook told News Corp.

“I’ve made it clear I’d like Dave to stay and all the indications from Dave are that he will be here.

“We’ve managed to get a number of guys to recommit to the club. Tino, Beau Fermor, AJ Brimson, Jojo Fifita, we are keeping the guys we want and I believe David wants to stay.

“We still have to go through a process with his management. It was hard to do anything while Dave was away, but we will do everything we can to keep him at the club.”

Surely, we have the salary cap to offer Fifita 1m per season for 3 seasons and his partner a job in our NRLW team! I believe Fifita would make all the difference in our forward pack for 2024 and beyond.

DfL

Juniors

Canberra are preparing to offer Titans star David Fifita a $2.7 million deal over three-years, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The Raiders will also off Fifita’s partner Shaylee Bent a contract to join Canberra’s inaugural NRLW side in 2023.

The Gold Coast signed Fifita on a mammoth $1.2 million per season deal but the extension they’re set to table is $700,000.

Despite the cash on offer in Canberra, Titans coach Justin Holbrook believes he’ll keep his star backrower.

“I’ve made it clear I’d like Dave to stay and all the indications from Dave are that he will be here.

“We’ve managed to get a number of guys to recommit to the club. Tino, Beau Fermor, AJ Brimson, Jojo Fifita, we are keeping the guys we want and I believe David wants to stay.

“We still have to go through a process with his management. It was hard to do anything while Dave was away, but we will do everything we can to keep him at the club.”

Surely, we have the salary cap to offer Fifita 1m per season for 3 seasons and his partner a job in our NRLW team! I believe Fifita would make all the difference in our forward pack for 2024 and beyond.
I don't know possm.. 3 million dollar contract over 3 years for a guy that has been out of form is a bit ridiculous.
Also dragons don't really want to let shaylee bent go

Crush

Coach
So very Dragons, having Shaylee as the ultimate trump card…. And end up missing Fifita and losing Shaylee.
Haha, classic dragons.
They’ll somehow put a positive spin on it though.
Just like when they missed out on every forward on the market for 2023, it’s a great opportunity for the local juniors!!!
Oh and Sloan and Bud aren’t leaving!
Yay dragons.

BLM01

First Grade

He is not worth it as lazy and hangs out wide. Watched him closely at the Titans game at home near end of season. He parks himself at centre on the right side and thats it

Maximus

Coach
Why would we pay 1m to the laziest player in the game. He's the most destructive ball runner in the game the 1 time he puts in any effort, but what about the rest of the game?

He's also not going to solve any defensive issues since he's even lazier in defence.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
David Fafita is one of the most over-paid players in the NRL.

Statistically speaking he's had 1 good season in 5 years of 1st grade. Eg:
2018 - Broncos - 11 games 2 trys
2019 - Broncos - 24 games 7 trys
2020 - Broncos - 9 games 4 trys
2021 - Titans - 22 games 17 trys
2022 - Titans - 18 games 7 trys

One has to ask the question of why the Broncos, and, if factual, the Titans are willing to let him walk or offer a reduced salary. Of course Fafita would be looking for the golden egg where someone is willing to fork out ridiculous money for a 'sometime' player.

If you look at the stats above and take comparison to Beau Fermor who scored 11 trys last season, or even further, ook at young Nanai and see who you would rather spend your Cap on, but again, the question remains why are teams willing to let Fafita walk?

If he does join the Raiders, then good luck to them. However, living on the sunny beaches of the Gold Coast is far removed from the icy cold pit that Canberra can be.

We seem to have an obsession with signing a player from another club, some 'big' name that really shows no dedication to the club they play form, only their bank account. This is a recipe for disaster both on the field and into our juniors and ultimately screwing up our salary cap for many years. Yes, we may take a hit for 2023, however, our young troops are highly regarded and have far greater dedication to the Red V, just need to watch the video from the Couchman boys to see that. If I reference the 'Where will we be in 5yrs" thread, then I can say that, if we nurture these youngsters we will have the opportunity to be consistently in the 8 if not the top 4. It definitely won't be that way if we continue to overspend on lazy "once in a while" overpaid players, that will see our youngsters playing at other clubs, and us asking the question why didn't we keep them.
We'll now you have an answer.

Dragon David

First Grade

One has to ask the question of why the Broncos, and, if factual, the Titans are willing to let him walk or offer a reduced salary. Of course Fafita would be looking for the golden egg where someone is willing to fork out ridiculous money for a 'sometime' player.

If you look at the stats above and take comparison to Beau Fermor who scored 11 trys last season, or even further, ook at young Nanai and see who you would rather spend your Cap on, but again, the question remains why are teams willing to let Fafita walk?

If he does join the Raiders, then good luck to them. However, living on the sunny beaches of the Gold Coast is far removed from the icy cold pit that Canberra can be.

We seem to have an obsession with signing a player from another club, some 'big' name that really shows no dedication to the club they play form, only their bank account. This is a recipe for disaster both on the field and into our juniors and ultimately screwing up our salary cap for many years. Yes, we may take a hit for 2023, however, our young troops are highly regarded and have far greater dedication to the Red V, just need to watch the video from the Couchman boys to see that. If I reference the 'Where will we be in 5yrs" thread, then I can say that, if we nurture these youngsters we will have the opportunity to be consistently in the 8 if not the top 4. It definitely won't be that way if we continue to overspend on lazy "once in a while" overpaid players, that will see our youngsters playing at other clubs, and us asking the question why didn't we keep them.
We basically have one marquee player in Ben Hunt in our squad for 2023 at the moment.

I don't wish us to be paying another player in excess of $800,000 per year to be part of the squad for the next few years.

We have a good blending of players at the club and plenty of youth in the system which I am sure that the club has faith in them to be successful in a few years.

Provided we can improve our defensive structure by at least 80%, we will be a team that will surprise many next year. It is up to the coaches to focus on our defence in the pre-season. It is one area that really needs working on. Our attack is there and can even improve once our defensive issues are sorted well and truly out.

DfL

Juniors
We basically have one marquee player in Ben Hunt in our squad for 2023 at the moment.

I don't wish us to be paying another player in excess of $800,000 per year to be part of the squad for the next few years.

We have a good blending of players at the club and plenty of youth in the system which I am sure that the club has faith in them to be successful in a few years.

Provided we can improve our defensive structure by at least 80%, we will be a team that will surprise many next year. It is up to the coaches to focus on our defence in the pre-season. It is one area that really needs working on. Our attack is there and can even improve once our defensive issues are sorted well and truly out.
Well said!!!!!!

Maximus

Coach

To be fair, I wouldn't take Fermor over him. Left side backrowers at the Titans do well as the left side half knows how to utilise them, as was shown by Fifita's 2021 season which was primarily on the left.

Campbell only really plays right side, and his only play is to throw a dummy, step off his right foot and get tackled by the sliding defence. Even the best ever backrower would struggle outside of him

Fifita has the talent to be the best in the game, just not the effort.

Also, judging seasons based on tries for a backrower is crazy. His 2019 season as a 19yo is very similar to Nanai's 2022 season (as a 19yo) in everything but tries.

He's had 1 great season, 1 good season, 1 shit season, 1 season impacted by a serious knee injury, and a decent rookie season.

possm

Coach
Yep sorry possum , but the Dragons badly require a 80 minute player who is prepared to give his all . Fifita unfortunately is not that , the man needs a coach that can get the best out of him , perhaps Ricky Stuart is the one able to do so .
Or do the Dragons need a match-winner which Fifita most definitely is.

Gareth67

First Grade
Or do the Dragons need a match-winner which Fifita most definitely is.
He is a match winner when he is on his game , however if he is being somewhat lazy he simply is not in position to be so .

I wonder on just how many occasions Neil Henry has uttered a swear word or two when cursing the big man for not being in place to charge on to the ball and go over for a try or off load to a support ?

Nevertheless matey it seems quite obvious that he will not be in the Dragon’s colours next season so I believe it’s best to accept that .