What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders renew bond

Chachi

Bench
OCTOBER 24: The Canberra Raiders have reaffirmed a long-term allegiance to the Souths-Logan Magpies with head coach Neil Henry in town singing the club's praises.
Among a number of moves, Henry confirmed Canberra would be sending its fringe first graders north next season to play for the Magpies in the Queensland Wizard Cup.

Canberra have also kept development manager Paul Bramley on board and added former NRL first grader Mark Tookey to Souths-Logan to ensure the talent on the southside stays with the club.

"We'll be sending some of our full-time players up here if they're not picked in the first 17 or 18 for first grade and they'll be playing in the Queensland Cup for Souths-Logan,'' he said.
"So you can expect players like Michael Weyman and Troy Thompson and the young guys that have played nine or 10 NRL games, or guys coming back from injury to come up here, so it's an exciting time.

"I think outside the NRL, it's the next tier in the Australian Rugby League scene.
"I'm confident it's a step above Jim Beam Cup and above Premier League in many ways.''
http://www.questnews.com.au/article/2007/10/23/21459_lwl_sports.html
:eek:

legend

Coach
Is the Qld Cup really superior to Premier League?

How do the guys with families go if they are back and forth every weekend?

What about the cost?

Seems like a real bad move to me and one that is likely to deter any future prospect from signing with the club.

I find it interesting that he's mentioned Thommo and Weyman , does he see them outside the top 18 or is he referring to them coming back from injuries. QLD cup would have to be a notch below PL but well above JB cup, alot of our players come from QLD so they already are away from family , Storm seem to manage Ok as well , time will tell if we do , Hows Tookey going can he be drafted in to play for the Raiders? or is Logan players just that,The S.Logan isnt our PL team we just lend our players outside the top 18 each week? Next year will be an interesting year with the set up of the clubs including U20's

overtheline

Juniors
Is there any news of the Wests Magpies relationship. I thought is was going ahead. But now it seems to have gone very quiet. The Magpies have removed all posts on their forum about it.

Chachi

Bench
As far as I knew the Wests Magpies thing is still going ahead. I'm not so sure about the QLD thing being a huge negative for the players - going up north during winter each weekend during our winter isn't exactly punishment.

Bay56

First Grade
My gut feel is ... "Why" ... "What a waste of money and resources"

time will tell but imo in the long run the disadvantages will far outweigh the advantages

maybe it's a strategy by management in an attempt for some tax payer funded holidays for friends and business partners to the Gold Coast .. :-k

dubby

Bench
The QLD Cup is a very strong competition. To say its better than PL is hard to say, but at the least they are even.

In many ways tho, it reminds me of the ESL, where you have some very strong teams (Aspley, Redcliffe, Young Guns, Tweed) and some very weak teams (Central, Souths) with some decent mid range teams; Easts Tigers, Burleigh, Ipswich.

Dont forget guys that we were beaten by a QLD cup team in February.

jed

First Grade
Raidersrawesome said:
I find it interesting that he's mentioned Thommo and Weyman , does he see them outside the top 18 or is he referring to them coming back from injuries.
Logan IMHO is a cert for 1 of the Prop jerseys, leaving 1. Weyman's a benchie at best (based on his last few seasons), and I think there'll be a lot more competition for the 2nd Prop position, sadly I don't think Thommo's guaranteed his place in the starting 13.

Bay56

First Grade
c'mon jedski Weyman is far more than a benchie ... should be runing out with the starting 13 imo.

fourxman

Juniors
He is so a benchie. He hasn't proved anything yet. And until he does, he is a PL/Bench Player.

ak47

Juniors
interesting

dunno what to say

maybe the trip will be a pain.......making players push harder at training to stay in the 17/18

but you cannot ignore the good in that we are creating a bigger avenue to lure young talent.

when the young QLD chaps pair up with Weyman and Thomo (as per above hypothetical example)...they will want to lift, and make a show, and see how they stack up to NRL 1st graders.....and in some cases, some will make the step...which then become our boys esseincially

it is definately a good move to get our injured list back into some kind of fitness - i am unsure of how next years under 21 thingy JB thingy, or PL thingy is structured, and how we do or dont play a part of it, so am i right in assuming this is an alternative?

Bay56

First Grade
fourxman said:
He is so a benchie. He hasn't proved anything yet. And until he does, he is a PL/Bench Player.

He's not !! ... so there.

C'mon dude, what do you mean he hasn't proven anything yet ... just because he's not in the Sydney spotlight, playing for a team that gets far more exposure than ours, doesnt place him in the PL department.

fourxman

Juniors
He hasn't lived up to the hype that surrounded him. that's for sure!

But that isn't my point really. He is very slow and can't keep up with the pace of the NRL as yet. He is not mobile. He is injury prone. He doesn't make up for these things with a high workload. He has brain snaps and gives away stupid penalties. These are qualities of a PL player and until he works on these things and proves that he is of NRL standard i will continue to say so.

julian87

Juniors
Not having a PL team of our own will hurt IMO. But maybe the travel will imrpove some attitudes. I also like the fact that half of the QC team being ours will increase our fan base and perhaps the experience and knowledge of our players.

Mark Tookey is playing with them this season and I just think it may work.

fourxman

Juniors
I think using only the Q-Cup is an interesting choice but i don't think it will hurt us.

The Q-Cup has been quite stong and with it being the feeders for other NRL sides will increase the value of this competition.

Broncos, Titans, Cowboys and us will be using the Q-Cup to develop over 20's fringe players. I am of the understanding that Melbourne will no longer be using it though which is very interesting considering the talent they have developed through the Norths Devils (Smith, Slater, Inglis, Folau, Cronk). Hopefully we will have some scouts roaming the Q-Cup, and lower grades for next Inglis and Folau now that we are placing a bigger importance on Souths Logan.