What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders to show faith in Carney!!!

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
After reading the news article in the Canberra times, it is clear to see the Raiders Won't be sacking Carney.

Raiders have duty to Carney: Raiders
Chris Wilson

Canberra Raiders chairman John McIntyre referred to the club yesterday as a "correctional facility" and said the Raiders had a responsibility to help wayward young star Todd Carney.
Carney will appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday on charges of failing to stop when directed by police, negligent driving and driving while disqualified.

The Raiders have suspended the 20-year-old halfback and teammate Steve Irwin after they were allegedly involved in a police pursuit through the suburb of Bruce on Friday night. Police did not charge Irwin, who was allegedly a passenger in his own vehicle. The Canberra Times understands Carney will meet Raiders coach Neil Henry today, when Henry returns from State of Origin duties in Queensland. The Raiders board, management and Henry will also meet at the Mawson Club tomorrow morning.

Mr McIntyre said the extraordinary board meeting was called not to sack Carney, but to explore a detailed rehabilitation plan. Mr McIntyre said sacking Carney would be like rejecting a family member.

"As another [Raiders] director said to me, 'If one of your family gets in trouble you do your utmost for the family to get together and trade your way out of it'," Mr McIntyre said. "This gentleman said, 'Toddy is one of our family'."

Carney has two previous drink-driving convictions, the latest from December last year. He is still serving a two-year good-behaviour bond in NSW. Mr McIntyre said the Raiders had demonstrated an ability to reform players, referring to the club as a "correctional facility".

He added he said it tongue-in-cheek.

The Raiders have recruited three players in the past two seasons who have either been sacked by their previous NRL clubs or deregistered by the NRL. Former Cronulla Sharks prop Jason Williams served a jail sentence for assaulting a teammate, former Newcastle prop Dane Tilse served a 12-month NRL ban for a pre-season incident at a Bathurst University in 2005, and the Brisbane Broncos sacked Neville Costigan last year for a string of alcohol-related incidents.

Mr McIntyre, who chairs the Raiders' board of nine, said most members were supportive of helping Carney.

"I see the major issue [of tomorrow's meeting] is the organisation itself addressing the issue of full-time professionalism for our players and how we manage that."

Mr McIntyre said he would even seek a meeting with Sydney Swans management when the AFL club came to Canberra this weekend to play the Western Bulldogs.

Mr McIntyre said behavioral issues occured across all codes and it could be beneficial to form an alliance. "Certainly I'll make my best endeavours to have a chat and set up some sort of an exchange of idea arrangement with the management of the Swans. I think what we've got to do is address the issue of how we manage the off-field situation of our players. The Swans have got an exemplary record. We've been pretty good too in that history of full-time professionalism. This is probably the most difficult one we've had to deal with."

Mr McIntyre suggested part of Carney's rehabilitation plan might include extra charity work, "concentrating his free time".

Should the Raiders retain Carney, who is contracted until the end of 2008, Mr McIntyre denied it would be a sign of weakness. "There's no suggestion of letting him off. Any disciplinary action is not an issue at this point in time, after all there is still the presumption of innocence until the court matter takes place."

Mr McIntyre said Carney's future was particularly important to the club because he was a Goulburn junior and the Raiders had invested a lot of resources in his development. "We'd be letting down all those people that have been involved in developing the Todd Carneys, the Laurie Daleys, the Bradley Clydes and the Ricky Stuarts and so on. I don't know there's another NRL club that comes within a bulls roar of what we spend on junior development."

The NRL has the power to de-register Carney. Raiders general manager Don Furner would not speculate on whether Carney would play again this season.

"I'll tell you one thing, there definitely won't be a decision on his future out of [tomorrow's board] meeting," Mr Furner said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Raiders want to help him and are showing great faith in him, this is the best news to come out since the whole thing happened. The next thing now is to get Carney signed up on a long term contract, lets try turn this negative thing into a big positive, one that helps bond the team together more. Maybe the glory days are just aroudn the corner??

GO THE RAIDERS:)

badav

Bench
Makes you wonder will this latest incident see him get back on track?? After atleast three serious incidents you would be entitled to wonder.

A sacking could be the kick up the arse that he so obviously needs. If it was a lesser player there is absolutely no doubt they would have been sacked, probably after the 2nd incident.

jed

First Grade
What lesson would he learn from being sacked? He'd be signed-up within the hour. Rather than making a knee-jerk reaction in sacking him, the club is demonstrating that they'll work with him to improve his situation.

Macko8

Juniors
Im pritty sure the raiders wont be releasing carney so all you other rival nrl club fans can take a chill pill and sit the f**k down.

The raiders and Carney didnt work there backsides off for the past 5 years developing him into the next best thing just to throw it all away.

Just on Mullen last night in origin, i still dont know how he got picked in the number 7 when you have experience in orford,kimmorley or gower, his first half was ok, but ive always said it, Carney is the better player and will be for the next 10 years.

Lime_Green

Juniors
I think the most disappointing thing to come out of this saga has been the behaviour of clubs such as the Sharks.

How on earth can the Raiders effectively discipline the guy when he's been receiving (according to Parra Pete) big $$$ offers from the Sharks - before the club has had a chance to even meet over what to do with Carney.

Talk about desperate. If they had any integrity they would wait until AFTER he has been sacked or punished. As it is Carney now has at least one offer up his sleeve...

So the wash up, theoretically, could be that Carney gets sacked, gets picked up by the Sharks and is earning more $$$ than he was at the Raiders 3 weeks ago. That's hardly going to set him on the straight and narrow. (and yes I know the Raiders aren't going to sack him, but still...)

The NRL needs some sort of centralised disciplinary scheme that is applied consistently. As it is clubs are hamstrung by their need to keep marquee players from falling into the hands of other clubs. They cannot effectively administer discipline.

Baron Vo Mandor said:
So Carney is bigger then the Raiders.

Poor form.

Thats not really fair , what are the Raiders supposed to do ? How many other clubs have retained their own players after incidents. Would you kick out your own son out on the street after doing something like Todd did? We must keep him and make him see his errors and help him grow from them. They have invested too much in Todd to just throw him out on the street ( where the sharks are circling ).
Correct decision.

Chachi

Bench
I was always pretty confident that the club would do the right thing by Carney.

Can't say I'm so confident of the reverse.

parra pete

Referee
Lime_Green said:
I think the most disappointing thing to come out of this saga has been the behaviour of clubs such as the Sharks.

How on earth can the Raiders effectively discipline the guy when he's been receiving (according to Parra Pete) big $$$ offers from the Sharks - before the club has had a chance to even meet over what to do with Carney.

Talk about desperate. If they had any integrity they would wait until AFTER he has been sacked or punished. As it is Carney now has at least one offer up his sleeve...

So the wash up, theoretically, could be that Carney gets sacked, gets picked up by the Sharks and is earning more $$$ than he was at the Raiders 3 weeks ago. That's hardly going to set him on the straight and narrow. (and yes I know the Raiders aren't going to sack him, but still...)

The NRL needs some sort of centralised disciplinary scheme that is applied consistently. As it is clubs are hamstrung by their need to keep marquee players from falling into the hands of other clubs. They cannot effectively administer discipline.

No hang on... I haven't said he is getting big $$$ offers from the Sharks.
What I said that I have heard is that the Sharks will pick him up if he is cut by the Raiders --and go hard for him if he is not, to become a Shark in 2009 at the conclusion of his present contract. Same as other Clubs do, sweating on the good players to become available.
It was just mentioned to me in general conversation..that Ricky Stuart is very keen of luring Carney into the Sharks.

Lime_Green

Juniors
My apologies, I made the assumption that the Sharks were offering better $$$ to Todd (either in the short or long term depending on whether he was sacked) based on this statement you made:

I was just passing on what I heard.....and mate, don't kid yourself..Money talks all languages...irrespective of whether the kid loves the Club. Most footballers I know love money more...Loyalty is a thing of the past.

badav

Bench
jed said:
What lesson would he learn from being sacked?

That its time to pull your head in and straighten up if you want to make a career out of Rugby League.

Cases in point. Neville Costigan. Dane Tilse.

End of story.

parra pete

Referee
Lime_Green said:
My apologies, I made the assumption that the Sharks were offering better $$$ to Todd (either in the short or long term depending on whether he was sacked) based on this statement you made:

I was just passing on what I heard.....and mate, don't kid yourself..Money talks all languages...irrespective of whether the kid loves the Club. Most footballers I know love money more...Loyalty is a thing of the past.

Fair enough. I hope the Raiders keep him..he owes them a bit of loyalty that's for sure.
J R will be doing his best to keep him in the stable.

Timbo

Staff member
We still better slam him.

Anything less than a ten match ban, preferably a season suspention, would be soft IMO.

gph

Juniors
How would a suspension work? Would he still get paid? Does his salary still come under the cap? If not, could that money be used to do some creative paying of players to give us more room under the salary cap in later years?

Chachi

Bench
I think many contracts have a provision for the club to withold a proportional payment for games missed by the player due to disciplinary reasons. Whether the club imposes that is another thing. It's a bit of a juggling act if you want to discipline a player when you know full well he'll get a bunch of good offers from other clubs if you're too harsh on him.

This is what worries me about the situation. If the guy continues to stuff up and we lose other players (eg Dobbo, Goodwin, Zillman) or opportunities to sign other players, or even sponsors in the process, then we are basically going backwards after a LOT of hard work.

Pretty scary putting your future in the hands of a 20 year old with discipline issues - especially when a Dobson/Zillman halves combo could be just as potent in a few years time.

I think the Raiders are at a crossroads and Todd Carney appears to be holding all the cards at the moment. Feeling a tad uneasy I have to say...