What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders V Broncos

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Herbert went well today. Stepped up his involvement and for a guy in his second game of first grade you guys are giving him a bit of a death riding (especially cryptic). Carney has been given 4 seasons to show inconsistent form and poor behavior yet Herbert is a write off after 2 games. But Carney is the great white hope and the golden child (complete with Golden showers).

There wouldn't have been many teams that would have broken down the Brisbane defense today. We threw everything at them and were shut down in the three quarters by a quality defensive effort from boyd and hodges. Thurling was great.- and with a little bit of better execution and a little bit of luck we had that game.

Its only been the last 4 or 5 games we've showed any quality this season but it puts us in good stead for the future.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I don't want to bag out Herbert but Carney is plainly the better player. Even if you think that Herbet has the potential to be better than Carney (which I would disagree with) now is not the time for him to be feeling his way into NRL quality rugby league.

I think there is a spot for both of them in the team, but Carney is the better player and if we lost him it will set us back badly. He isn't the only player in the team, but he is an important player in the team.

Chachi

Bench
I think we need to start getting our heads around the distinct possibility that Todd Carney has played his last game for the club.

For mine, other than sh*thouse ball control, the key to that game was the far superior kicking game of Lockyer and the terrible terrible defensive effort of Adrian Purtell. That last try was the icing on the cake...what an awful effort. I have absolutely NO IDEA how he is in the centres and Best on the wing.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't think Herb was that bad. Keep in mind it was his second top grade game, and also he's been injured for much of the season. He was close to being a hero there once or twice. Carney is undoubtably a better player, but Herb is showing signs he could be a very handy halfback.

Also, I've said this so many times I'm starting to sound like a broken record - Milne is not a fullback! His ball control is shocking and he was shown up badly today with his positional play. I think the most telling thing was we started looking safer back there when Chalk-who couldn't have played fullback for 2 or 3 years-went back there after Milne got hurt. Yes he's got a devestating counter attack, but he's very wobbly back there.

schnitzel

Juniors
it was all downhil from the kick off... showed a lack of respect for the Broncs with that short kick and showed Campo has been reading his own press. Raiders wanted to entertain instead of playing field position and Bennett had it sussed.

Purtell was awful. He should be on the wing if in the side at all. He can finish off movements but when he is the one that needs to deliver the final pass he bombed two certain tries in first half that Best could have converted. His defence was even worse.

Herbert looked rattled after Manihera steam rolled him early in first half and left Herb prostate for a minute or so. After that he looked out of his depth and maybe slightly concussed, hence his poor passing options later on. Don't write him off yet.

Kudos to Thurlo and Tilse, tough effort from those two!

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Purtell was awful. He should be on the wing if in the side at all. He can finish off movements but when he is the one that needs to deliver the final pass he bombed two certain tries in first half that Best could have converted. His defence was even worse.

Why we put so much effort in to retaining Purtell is beyond me. He needs to finds some pace from somewhere. We are certainly lacking one or two quality outside backs. I would punt him for Chalk and let Chalk and Best alternate between wing and centre ( I know he is one of our leading tryscorers but has he ever beaten a tackle to score one). This would also fee up a back row spot for the return of Miller and/or Costigan.

Bay56

First Grade
it was all downhil from the kick off... showed a lack of respect for the Broncs with that short kick and showed Campo has been reading his own press. Raiders wanted to entertain instead of playing field position and Bennett had it sussed.

more a case of the press having placed too much emphasis on one single performance against an injury depleted Titans ... but yea , Brisbane would have read the press and a coach like Bennett would have instructed his players to shut him down ... and with no real alternative to take up the slack we were always on a hiding to nothing.

gph

Juniors
more a case of the press having placed too much emphasis on one single performance against an injury depleted Titans ... but yea , Brisbane would have read the press and a coach like Bennett would have instructed his players to shut him down ... and with no real alternative to take up the slack we were always on a hiding to nothing.

Yeah, all coaches base their game plans on what's written in the press. I don't even know why we need coaches all you need is a news paper subscription for the team :sarcasm:

Bay56

First Grade
Yeah, all coaches base their game plans on what's written in the press. I don't even know why we need coaches all you need is a news paper subscription for the team :sarcasm:

coaches and players will take all sources of information into consideration, including what they read in the newspapers

Mal Meninga

Bench
Our forwards did well but our backline was TERRIBLE... Did we catch a single f**king bomb? The right hand defence was just non-existant... And it wasn't in back tackling either it was in their CONSTANT overlap... I was counting the players in green out there a few times to make sure we weren't down a man it was that bad... Just a very disapointing game from start to finish minus a few good players (all forwards).
Thank God someone else saw it!!

Purts was horrendous but I refuse to bag him much when those who are ripping him to shreds cannot give him an inch of credit for being strong over the past few games. Even when he scored 3 tries against the Tigers, the dribblers pointed out to his one miss on Tuaki. :roll:

On the same token, Monaghan, pathetic! Nothing in attack all day, didn't break one tackle and was reduced to kick returns. Defensively he left Carney on an island which saw Manihera make two clean breaks, and later Thaiday ran through his coridor to score, than Boyd skinned him alive leaving Herbert to defend 15m of open grass which was impossible. But for whatever reason fans will gloss over his ineptness and blame his boot manufacturer.

Herbert is being given pats on the back for being smashed pilar to post. These are the same fans who probably blasted Withers and Campo for being too defensive orientated. I said last week I would be harsh on him, given my expectations of the side, and once again his defense was strong, passing was below average and kicking game terrible. Is that what we want from a halfback? Champion of a bloke but next to nothing FGer?

I've always been a fan of Thurling and could not understand why he wasn't a walk up starter. Whispers are that he's no Josh Miller or Glen Turner in terms of training and all the other traits of the teacher's pets but he's an animal on the field and that's what counts.

Macko8

Juniors
Thurling best player on the paddock.
i admire herbert for being smashed on a couple of occasions and getting right back up.passing and kicking needs alot of work.defence strong,attack not so.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
You deserved that flogging.
And you will get one next week as well when you face the mighty Panthers.

chub

Juniors
Thank God someone else saw it!!

On the same token, Monaghan, pathetic! Nothing in attack all day, didn't break one tackle and was reduced to kick returns. Defensively he left Carney on an island which saw Manihera make two clean breaks, and later Thaiday ran through his coridor to score, than Boyd skinned him alive leaving Herbert to defend 15m of open grass which was impossible. But for whatever reason fans will gloss over his ineptness and blame his boot manufacturer.

Besides that, he didn't pass the ball once all day!! I could not believe it - Carney had to go to dummy half to touch the footy!

Latest posts