What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders V Panthers Pre and Post Game Discussion

greeneyed

First Grade
Let's hope this works for this weekend.

From today's CT:

Business as usual for Raiders
Rugby league By Peter Fitzgerald
Wednesday, 14 July 2004

Canberra Raiders coach Matt Elliott is confident the off-field dramas of the past week will not have a negative effect on his side when they play Penrith on Saturday night.

In fact, he thinks it will act as a motivator.

Despite the announcements that Ruben Wiki, Luke Davico and Joel Monaghan will be leaving the club at the end of next year and continued speculation that the club is in crisis, Elliott believes all the negativity will act in the Raiders' favour.

"A lot of the commentary and comments from the past week have been based on misinformed, ill-informed information and I think that will motivate out guys to be successful on the field," he said.

"Some of the energy-sapping stuff off the field has been well-documented but we're starting to build some momentum and I think we're ready to rebound from that."

The Raiders have won their past three matches, making them second only to the Bulldogs as the NRL's most in-form side.

In stark contrast, the Panthers have lost their past two games, including last weekend's humiliating 30-6 loss to the Rabbitohs - similar form the Sharks and Warriors had in the lead-up to their surprise victories over the Raiders earlier in the year.

While Elliott is wary the Raiders may be playing the Panthers at a time where their season may be on the line, he knows how committed his side is to cementing their spot in the top eight.

Pending other results, the Raiders may even sneak into the top-four with a victory on Saturday night.

"We may be getting Penrith at a bad time but they may be catching us at the worst time possible as well," Elliott said.

"I'm certainly hoping [the past week] brings out the best in me and I've got a great deal of faith of the people here and always have and I'm feeling really strongly about the way we can perform this week."

Elliott yesterday named an unchanged lineup to that which defeated the Cowboys last week but an injury cloud still looms over Jason Croker's head.

Croker injured his neck last week and has been troubled by it ever since but he is confident it will right come Saturday.

"[The neck] is coming along pretty good," he said. "I couldn't move it much on Monday but it's improving really well.

"Now I've got full movement of it one way and pretty good movement the other ... I can't see it stopping me from playing."

If Croker is unavailable, Terry Martin will replace him at lock.

Martin has recovered from a hip-flexor injury which kept him out of the Raiders' 32-28 win over North Queensland at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

In other Raiders news, fullback Clinton Schifcofske is in the midst of negotiations with Raiders management regarding an extension of his contract.

Schifcofske, who joined the Raiders from Parramatta in 2001, is already sealed with the club until the end of next year but hopes to play the rest of his career in Canberra.

"The ball's in the Raiders' court," he said yesterday.

"Matty [Elliott] has made it clear to me that they're keen to keep me on until I finish my career so hopefully we can sort something out in the near future.

"I think I've got a good three years left in me so we'll see what happens."

jed

First Grade
I think it's a bit rich setting up the post-game thread a full 3 days before the game starts, greeneyed. :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
But there are always 10,000 threads on the same topic. Better to have it all in one place. Maybe our Mods can set up a system. :)

jed

First Grade
Providing each thread is actually a different topic, there is no problem with multiple threads - I know that both #1 and myself merge the similar threads (even without being asked to)

greeneyed

First Grade
We made it onto Sydney Nine News tonight.... but the footage was from yesterday's WIN TV news. Focus on Croker's neck injury.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
greeneyed said:
We made it onto Sydney Nine News tonight.... but the footage was from yesterday's WIN TV news. Focus on Croker's neck injury.
Yeah, we got that on NBN news, too.

We also got an article on Phil Graham and Alan Tongue. It was about them coming back to the Tamworth area (where they grew up) to do some coaching with lil kiddies. Since Phil was on crutches, he pretty much just cast an eye over them but Tonguie was a bit more mobile at least and they said something like "...but Alan Tongue was able to get physical with them." Kind of stupid comment considering that even a minor touch from Tonguie would probably send them flying :lol:

thickos

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
Ben Ross got off from the judiciary.

Boo-urns.

They'll be full-strength this weekend. We better be ready!

Did you say Boo or Boo-urns?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Do you honestly think that the players think about which strip they are wearing when they get out there? :roll: :?: :roll: :?: :roll: However, I'll give Raiders2004 a bit more cred then I previously have, it ain't too bad when seen in the right light/from the right angle. However, I still think that the FoneZone logo doesn't suit it. :(

thickos said:
I Bleed Green wrote:
Ben Ross got off from the judiciary.

Boo-urns.

They'll be full-strength this weekend. We better be ready!

Did you say Boo or Boo-urns??
From the Simpsons episode where burns tries to get back his 3Million bux:
"Hello, my name is Mr Snrub...yes, that'll do..."

Freddo

Juniors
I hope the players are thinking it is like the lucky white strip

it could be most football players are superstiots. like i know im a bit that way. like do the left boot before the right. put the jersey on first then the shorts socks etc it could be the lucky white strip

greeneyed

First Grade
The players started insisting on playing in the "lucky white strip" the season before last.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Elliott is superstitious. That's pretty well known. He said if the away strip (when it was new) had 3 Losses in a row, they would never wear it again.