What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders V Panthers Pre and Post Game Discussion

greeneyed

First Grade
From today's CT:

Raiders centred thanks to Mogg
Rugby league By Bevan Hannan
Friday, 16 July 2004

The intense off-field focus on the National Rugby League's trading period has deflected recent attention from a problem that has troubled the Canberra Raiders for the last 10 years.

Not since Mal Meninga retired in 1994 have the Raiders been able to find a long-term centre. They have tried plenty, but no-one has been able to seize the position for an extended period.

Until now.

During the Raiders' present three-match winning streak right-centre Adam Mogg has been heavily involved in almost half of Canberra's tries. It is no coincidence that all the wingers who have spent time on Mogg's side of the field - Phil Graham, Matt Gafa and Nathan Smith - have scored tries.

Senior player Clinton Schifcofske said Mogg had been the Raiders' "unsung hero".

"I feel sorry for Moggy because he doesn't get a lot of the wraps he deserves," Schifcofske said. "He'll probably tell you himself that, to start off the season, he wasn't playing that well after he had a really good off-season.

"Personally, I was expecting really big things of him and I think he was, of himself, as well. I think he put a little bit too much pressure on himself.

"But the last two months I think he has been our best player. He has won three or four players' player awards. If I was a winger, I'd definitely want to be outside him.

"At the start of the season we were all like that. We were a bit shaky but a lot of guys are starting to come into their own at the moment. Once you get one or two real good games under your belt, blokes around you are playing with confidence and it starts to rub off on you as well."

Mogg, 26, is a Caloundra junior who joined the Raiders via Parramatta last year. His role as the quiet achiever has not been lost on coach Matt Elliott.

"I'd like him to be noisy," Elliott said. "He didn't have a lot of fluency in his season last year. He is still really young and in only his second full season of first grade. But I think that he is at a point where he has come to terms with it.

"My expectation is he will become a dominant player."

The Raiders received a boost for tomorrow's trip to Penrith with back-rowers Jason Croker (neck) and Terry Martin (hip) both declared fit.

Martin missed one round with injury while Croker hurt his neck in the Raiders' last start victory against North Queensland. Jason Bulgarelli and Todd Carney are likely to be omitted from the six-man bench and drop back to Premier League. Much has been said about half-back Craig Gower and centre Ryan Girdler returning from lay-offs to the Penrith line-up, but Elliott is also pleased with his settled combination.

"I noticed our opposition has named a near-full strength squad," Elliott said. "I don't think we'll be far off either."

thickos

First Grade
Yep good to see Elliott giving Moggy some credit, he has been outstanding over the past month. I bagged the crap out of him earlier this season but he has really lifted his game recently.

Good work Moggy. :clap:

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Ye, I'm a big fan of MoggDog. It just annoys me when he has an unmarked winger on his outside and runs at the line himself. But a great player - defends well making a lot of tackles and takes some of the pressure off Germ with a few dummy half runs.

greeneyed

First Grade
On WIN TV news tonight:

The captain Simon Woolford and Mark McLinden both did not train today.

Todd Carney was woken up by a phone call from the coach and asked to come down to train at half this morning.

Hodgson reportedly also in some doubt for tomorrow's game.

The coach hopeful the selected team will play, with McLinden trying to sleep of the flu.

Brad Drew also trained with the squad "on stand by"..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

edabomb

First Grade
Not sounding good at all. We'll have to play really well to do the Panthers. I'm confident at full strength we'll give them a good go, not sure if Woolford and McLinden are both out though.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10156137-23214,00.html

Raiders captain in doubt
July 16, 2004

IN-FORM Canberra half Mark McLinden has the flu and is in danger of missing tomorrow's important NRL match against Penrith at Penrith Stadium.

McLinden will be given until the 11th hour to prove his fitness, with coach Matthew Elliott placing rookie half Todd Carney on stand-by.

The Raiders are aiming for their fourth straight victory.

Victory would also keep alive their hopes of a top four finish.

The Panthers have been boosted this week by the early return of injured captain Craig Gower and centre Ryan Girdler.

-----

Look at the title of the article...

Marty's our captain now? :?

Bloody Sydney media!

azza

Juniors
I think they just assumed he (radio) is in PL, but Elliot would be the goose of the century if he didn't leave Carney on the bench given McLinden wouldn't be 100%.

Livebynight

Juniors
Hmm a friend just told me foxsports said Campo is coming in for Mclinden. This doesn't sound right, why wouldnt Carney?
He cries wolf alot though so i dont really believe him.

azza

Juniors
greeneyed, thanks for that... SCOOP :lol:

Have any of the letters/emails etc. calling for management and Elliot's head had any effect? Doesn't look like it. We are probably condemned to this utter garbage quality of performance for another 2-3 years, with the occasional good performance (like against the Broncos). Meanwhile any promising juniors we have will leave for other clubs. That's what happens when the lunatics (ala Hawkins and Elliot) run the asylum. And to think Elliot wasted time on that NRL forum earlier this week... he should be coaching 24 hours a day to fix this team.

Bay56

First Grade
azza said:
greeneyed, thanks for that... SCOOP :lol:

Have any of the letters/emails etc. calling for management and Elliot's head had any effect? Doesn't look like it. We are probably condemned to this utter garbage quality of performance for another 2-3 years, with the occasional good performance (like against the Broncos). Meanwhile any promising juniors we have will leave for other clubs. That's what happens when the lunatics (ala Hawkins and Elliot) run the asylum. And to think Elliot wasted time on that NRL forum earlier this week... he should be coaching 24 hours a day to fix this team.
Good call azza (again apologies for calling you a reject :) :) )

Latest posts