What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders v Tigers @ Davies

langpark

First Grade
Anyone going to Canberra v Wests Tigers at Davies Park next Saturday nite? I am, and can't wait, I've never really had the experience of being in a local ground that is absolutely packed, which it will be. Plus it's gonna be the last ever game at Davies and my Dad was a Souths fan back in the day, so yeah. I reckon they'll only fit 5/6000 in there, but i hope it's more.

Tickets aren't available til midday that day, try get there early coz i reckon this match WILL sell out. more info here: http://www.southsloganmagpies.com/newsroom.php?nid=00113

b&wdynamite

Juniors
langpark said:
Plus it's gonna be the last ever game at Davies and my Dad was a Souths fan back in the day, so yeah. I reckon they'll only fit 5/6000 in there, but i hope it's more.

Hi Langpark, Can you tell me why it is the last game? I grew up in Brisbane and played some matches there, and although the Magpies have moved to the
Logan district, I thought the ground was being maintained as the primary venue for the 2nd Division, playing prelims and finals there. Or is it going the way of the rest of West End and being converted into yuppie unit blocks overlooking the beautiful coronation drive!!??

Cheers.

colonel_123

Juniors
b&wdynamite said:
Hi Langpark, Can you tell me why it is the last game? I grew up in Brisbane and played some matches there, and although the Magpies have moved to the
Logan district, I thought the ground was being maintained as the primary venue for the 2nd Division, playing prelims and finals there. Or is it going the way of the rest of West End and being converted into yuppie unit blocks overlooking the beautiful coronation drive!!??

Cheers.

I think I read somewhere that they're building a hotel there.

langpark

First Grade
yeah they are permanantly moving to Logan, and Davies Park will probably be demolished and have an apartment block sitting there unfortunately. I think their lower grades will still play their this year. Email the club and ask, they should reply.

langpark

First Grade
I thought they played most of their Q Cup matches at Brandon Park at Acacia Ridge last year. And i think the only difference is that that's gonna become their 'sole' home ground.

Tigertread

Juniors
They are playing their games at both Davies Park and Brandon Park this year. They do not have an official home ground for next year yet.

bjm8

Juniors
langpark said:
Anyone going to Canberra v Wests Tigers at Davies Park next Saturday nite? I am, and can't wait, I've never really had the experience of being in a local ground that is absolutely packed, which it will be. Plus it's gonna be the last ever game at Davies and my Dad was a Souths fan back in the day, so yeah. I reckon they'll only fit 5/6000 in there, but i hope it's more.

Tickets aren't available til midday that day, try get there early coz i reckon this match WILL sell out. more info here: http://www.southsloganmagpies.com/newsroom.php?nid=00113

I'll be there, as i was last Saturday for the Souths v Tigers game. Seemed like there was only about 500 people there then, i was just planning on turning up before the Premier League game and hoping to get a ticket. Also, they were advertising the tickets as being avaliable from the clubhouse post-game last Saturday.

langpark

First Grade
bjm8 said:
I'll be there, as i was last Saturday for the Souths v Tigers game. Seemed like there was only about 500 people there then, i was just planning on turning up before the Premier League game and hoping to get a ticket. Also, they were advertising the tickets as being avaliable from the clubhouse post-game last Saturday.
Really? I emailed the club a few weeks back and they said midday on the day. I'll email again in case things have changed.

500 you reckon? Courier Mail today said 4500!! :shock: Were the temporary stands or anything up yet?

bjm8

Juniors
lol na.

there was a line of people along the perimeter fence, spaced out so you could easily get a spot. plus a few peole scattered along the eastern hill (montague rd). probly a hundred or so in the bar and around the clubhouse. i reckon 500, it may be a bad estimate but there was no way in hell there was more then 1000.

Papa_smurf

Juniors
will this game sell out?

i gotta drive from redcliffe and dont finish work until 5.30?, and dont wanna miss out on a ticket

can i drive down there during the week and buy tickets?

langpark

First Grade
Papa_smurf said:
will this game sell out?

i gotta drive from redcliffe and dont finish work until 5.30?, and dont wanna miss out on a ticket

can i drive down there during the week and buy tickets?
i'll find out tomorrow, i'll give them a call. and yes, i'm almost certain this match will sell out, all types of footy fans are gonna come outta the woodwork for this one.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I'll be there again. Last week was great it was really nice to go to a match where it was very personal and you could chat to the players before and after the game. It was my first time there and it really is a shame such a nice ground is getting dempolished for a hotel. I know the land must be worth a fortune but it's a crime to do it to a grand old rugby league ground.

bjm8

Juniors
Its true but if i owned the place... for the money you could make developing that much land on the river...

you couldnt exactly say that west end is a suburb that follows football anymore either. driving through the place it looks like half the populations sport of choice would be a fashion show and the other half would be stealing cars.

langpark

First Grade
Yeah i agree, it's shame it has to go, but times have changed and it has to be done. West End is now a yuppy/hippy suburb, where many people are hugging trees or sipping latte's rather than supporting their local team, whereas 30/40 years ago it was more working class and full of Greek migrants who supported the team more. And of course there was no NRL at the time which helped too.

langpark

First Grade
ok, i just called the club, and tickets can be bought from the club today, tomorrow and on Friday between the times of 10am and 4pm, then from midday at the gate on matchday.

miccle

Bench
I'm gonna get on down for this one too. Usually work from 12-8pm on Sats but the boss will let me skip out early!

Latest posts