What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders vs Broncos - *SPOILER*

chub

Juniors
That performance after half time shows our reliance on Jason Smith - when he was off the broncos ran in the 24 pts, come back on and we looked half decent again. Raises questions as to why he was off at the start of the half at such a crucial time -bad coaching decision? Definately going to miss his influence next year.

Bay56

First Grade
chub said:
That performance after half time shows our reliance on Jason Smith - when he was off the broncos ran in the 24 pts, come back on and we looked half decent again. Raises questions as to why he was off at the start of the half at such a crucial time -bad coaching decision? Definately going to miss his influence next year.

chub if the old codger was on the field and we made the same mistakes we still would have been caned ... it had very little do with Smith

remember we we had 1000 points scored against us against the Knights and by the Roosters, with Smith on the field ... he is slow and a lot of the time cant even get back in the defensive line

Bay56 said:
mate I've seen it on slow-mo enough times ... it never leaves his hands until just after it hits the ground when Webcke forces it out of his loss grasp ... if he had held onto it after that he would have had his arm wrenched out of its socket

I just super-slow-mo'd it on the dvd...turns out it looks better in slow-mo. In normal mode it looks like webcke stuffed it. If it went to the video ref it would of been a try due to benefit of the doubt.

As to the game, it was the Raiders of the end of 05 again! Get in the lead, go to sleep, and lose the game. However, I still think the positive is when the bronco's hit the lead they kept themselves in the game. In the end ball-handling let them down. And that strip against Tongue was bullsh*t.

stevo

Juniors
I went to the game last night and i must say it was good to see so many Raiders supporters there. From what i could see the mob with the Egg Mogg sign were a great bunch, considering they had some annoying Bronco supporters near them, they could be heard quite clearly from where i was sitting. I found it quite amussing how the Broncs supporters continued their ever original sucks chant during the Raiders chant even though the Broncs were losing for most of the game.

Nothing better then going to Suncorp when a good crowd of Opp Fans turn up. The last two Knights games that i went to up here had so many Knights fans that you could hear us better then the Broncos Fans.

Congrats for all the guys that made the trip

Sully

Juniors
Right,

1stly if you lead 18-0 at half time you do not go on to loose 30-28! AS GALANT and effort as it is esp. up at suncorp it is still not good enough.

Yes, we put in effort each week and yes we almost beat a GOOD side in the Broncos but almost is NOT good enough. WE NEED TO WIN GAMES!!!

Second point is that with the current roster of players locked in on incrediable $$ compared to ability this club is in trouble!

We can not start from a clean slate, we are in for a long haul supporters.

Woodgers often says at the games to the RA lads, premierships dont come around often and when they do we need to savour them, but Paully mate I dont think we will see a premiership before 2015! AND THATS BEING REALISTIC.

hrundi99

First Grade
legend said:
The players are equally responsible but it concerns me we accept close losses as the norm these days. Even the fans don't possess a winning mentality any more, rather taking comfort in the knowledge the side was competitive.

I saw some of the basic mistakes on the footy show and we piss our pants when we have the lead.

The only side worse than us is the Warriors who are diabolical at times, today included.

I have a winning mentality, but I also have a realistic mentality. The Broncos are a better team than us, so for one game I am moderately pleased that we only lost by 2 rather than being thumped.

The Broncos are a better team than us. We were playing them in Brisbane.

The team we have at present (with Elliott's favourites or not) is not one that can consistently challenge the best teams in this league. We need to accept this. We have to accept our standing and support the development of our junior players as they are the ones who will be wearing lime green in the coming years.

They will get better with more experience and with a few possibly decent signings the quality of our team will improve. The coaching shake-up will give the place a freshen up as well.

When I watch the Raiders run out on to the field (whether at the ground or on the box) I'm always optimistic for a win, regardless of the opposition, but until the core of our team reaches their potential, I also accept that I'll see my share of losses. The fundamental thing I do want to see is effort, and I think more often than not they are providing effort.

I was shedding tears on the sideline after the Warriors semi because I'd never been prouder of a Raiders team's effort.

thickos

First Grade
Well said hrundi.

I do not think I have a 'losers mentality', I was gutted we lost on Saturday night but I also took a lot of positives from the game.

Yes we do not get any competition points for winning the first half but our display in the opening 40 was clinical, our attack looked the best it had since the Manly game and we were making quite regular inroads into the Broncos - and we weren't doing it on the back of penalties either.

We were playing a very good side in Brisbane and there was no doubt they would come back into the game with some possession - sure it should not have been 4 tries in 15 mins but possession rules football. The best thing for me was unlike the friggin Roosters game earlier this year when we chucked it in, this time after we fell behind we SCORED THE NEXT TWO TRIES!

For me this was a good sign, the boys rallied for once, yes they conceded the match-winner with about 10 to go but at the end of the day we went to Brisbane with a plan to get a win and we almost did.

I don't accept 'almost' as good enough but with the young players we have in the side, looking to the future, they will take something out of stretching Brisbane for the entire match.

That's my take anyway.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Usually if we lost 30 - 28 to the Broncos in Brisbane I would think it was an ok result considering, but it's the way we lost that angers me. In that game I saw the best 65 minutes the Raiders have played in years but it also involved 15 minutes of the dumbest football I've ever seen. I don't usually have a go at Elliott but it was stupid to start that half with the side they did, it was a no brainer that the Broncos would come out firing in the second half and we needed our most experienced out there. Leaving Smith off at the beginning of that half was plain stupid. Also, I can't say it enough, Croker must be banned from offloading.

Stuart

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
2011 is my thoughts sully, it will take us till 09 to mop up the sh*te elliott leaves

Sorry to single you out 69 but i think saying we wont we be competetive till X is a pretty silly thing to say. Sides like the tigers and the panthers have shown that with one or two players playing to potential and a few good signings (plus no injuries) any side in the comp can be a chance for the title in any given year. If things go our way in '07 there is every chance we could be a chance at the title.

hrundi99

First Grade
Stuart said:
Sorry to single you out 69 but i think saying we wont we be competetive till X is a pretty silly thing to say. Sides like the tigers and the panthers have shown that with one or two players playing to potential and a few good signings (plus no injuries) any side in the comp can be a chance for the title in any given year. If things go our way in '07 there is every chance we could be a chance at the title.

The Tigers are a perfect example of what the Raiders should be doing, and can still do.

Quality juniors fulfilling their potential, a few key "stars" and a quality coach.

woodgers

Bench
Well i'm with Legend and Leethal. I went to the club to watch it and left not feeling let down or anything. I've come to expect it so you will have all noticed recently that I only give the Raiders as much of my time as i'm prepared to lose rather than stewing over results all weekend and early week. I even sat 10 metres away from the plasma screen so I could watch Man U vs Chelsea in conjunction with the Raiders. 2006 Canberra Raiders are almost already irrelevant to me, 2007 will bring new hope as far as i'm concerned and this year can't go fast enough.

Thickos is right. The attack in the 1st half was the best i've seen it this year. There was even a few decoy runners and even a cut out pass! They controlled the ball and went to the break with their tails up.

The Broncos had 1 game plan I reckon. To attack our right hand defence which is feeble at best. They didn't get a chance to in the first half but with some good posession early in the 2nd, they went for the achillies heel and couldn't believe their luck. I've been saying it for how long, and it was even reported in Big League 3 weeks ago that our right hand side defence is terrible. What did we do? Defend Carney out there with Howell and Purtell. Now i'm a big Carney fan but he isn't a quality defender by any stretch. If I can tell you this, Big League can tell you this and other teams are doing it on a weekly basis, why isn't the boss doing something to fix the problem? Surely he knows it as well so why not get some decent defenders to help cover that area?

While we pushed the Broncos, near enough isn't really good enough. When you consider that it was Toot's 300th and they were all up for it then we should have beat them. They played badly and still got the result.

Sully could be right 2015....maybe.

woodgers said:
Well i'm with Legend and Leethal. I went to the club to watch it and left not feeling let down or anything. I've come to expect it so you will have all noticed recently that I only give the Raiders as much of my time as i'm prepared to lose rather than stewing over results all weekend and early week. I even sat 10 metres away from the plasma screen so I could watch Man U vs Chelsea in conjunction with the Raiders. 2006 Canberra Raiders are almost already irrelevant to me, 2007 will bring new hope as far as i'm concerned and this year can't go fast enough.

Thickos is right. The attack in the 1st half was the best i've seen it this year. There was even a few decoy runners and even a cut out pass! They controlled the ball and went to the break with their tails up.

The Broncos had 1 game plan I reckon. To attack our right hand defence which is feeble at best. They didn't get a chance to in the first half but with some good posession early in the 2nd, they went for the achillies heel and couldn't believe their luck. I've been saying it for how long, and it was even reported in Big League 3 weeks ago that our right hand side defence is terrible. What did we do? Defend Carney out there with Howell and Purtell. Now i'm a big Carney fan but he isn't a quality defender by any stretch. If I can tell you this, Big League can tell you this and other teams are doing it on a weekly basis, why isn't the boss doing something to fix the problem? Surely he knows it as well so why not get some decent defenders to help cover that area?

While we pushed the Broncos, near enough isn't really good enough. When you consider that it was Toot's 300th and they were all up for it then we should have beat them. They played badly and still got the result.

Sully could be right 2015....maybe.

i suggested defending Croker in the centres on the right hand side before the match, as we needed someone like him out there with Howell and Purtell. Just shows that the average bloke would probably do a better job than Matt Elliot

ak47

Juniors
We have no defense - worst against and most missed tackles in league

We have attack - how good is our expansive backline movements, running decoys and 2nd man plays, opening overlaps and going over untouched (unless ur names purtell), chalk would have scored that

You can score 50 pts per match but if you let in 51 you lose

They gotto fix their defense readings and turnstile actions - if we ever going to win matches

Also the stupid BS inside balls/change angled runs from dummy half dont work - u could tell Bennet saw this and at half time told his defense to move up and in the 2nd half, our inside balls proved nothing as the man got it, and was tackled before he even got passed the previous play the ball...ie no metres gained.

Or just rid of Elliotitis - it is clear he is the parasite, bleeding our club of talent progression, due to his abscence for next year

dubby

Bench
I applaud you Hrundi. You seem to be the only guy here to see things for what they are.

Our team just aren't that good. Not when you compare us to Brisbane who have rep players all over the place and we have none.

Guys, take a deep breath and just chill. Nobody gave us a hope in hell of getting within 2 points of Brisbane, and lets not forget that the BRonco's had won their last 5 games or so.

No, i don't have a losers mentality. No i don't accept mediocrity. I watched the game, and was impressed with our first half. The team starved the Broncos of the ball, ran options in attack, and scrambled in defence.

The 2nd half saw the Broncos starve US of the ball and pile on the points as only they can do.

Our guys fought back hard, they made some errors but that is due to a lack of composure (and some odd calls from the ref; that strip by TOngue...?? like Shif said, the VR hadn't intervened all game...why now?).

I agree, Purtell had an ordinary game. Why he is selected ahead of CHalk, i have no idea. Howell was found wanting in defence EVERY set and should be gone when Phil returns.

I honestly think Elliot had the game plan to beat the BRoncos. WE very nearlly did it. Apart from the players getting a little excited and losing some composure which caused the poor ball control if you ask me, we should have won.

I believe this team needs a strong, calm leader. Somebody who will instill confidence and a strength we have not seen since Laurie and Mal were captain.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think Purtell is there as a defensive option (not how I like my wingers), he's proven to be pretty safe under pressure. He's in the right spot in attack but he's too light to drill himself over the line as we saw on Saturday night (Flash-backs of Mathew Wood). I too would rather see Chalk there.

Latest posts