What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders vs Tigers Trial- Team

jed

First Grade
I know that, but why not just name Jones in the 18, why leave 18 vacant?

Juniors
put clinton schifcofske back in the number 1 jersey, and that would be a very solid team.. Amazing how much one player can affect a team, doesnt look half as good with chalk there, and from what i hear he was quite average last week

Chachi

Bench
Raider_69 said:
chachi, dont worry about up front
we have plenty of depth, thompson, weyman, tilse, miller, thurling, raston and williams (who has apparently carved pre season a new one) all with NRL experience.
Yeah man, I think that's my point. We've got some great depth up front yet for the last trial of the pre-season we've gone with Logan (who's apparently gone OK) and Tilse, with only Miller on the bench.

I'm just worried we could go into rd 1 a bit thin if this side is any indication.

As far as Zilly goes, I think it's a great sign that Henry has stuck with him all pre-season. He may or may not be dropped for Howell come round 1, but it has sent a clear sign that the coach has him right up there for first grade selection. As TiTTieS has said, you've gotta stick with these young blokes early in the season - Bennett, Sheens and Bellamy would do the same IMO.

thickos

First Grade
jed said:
Not a bad looking side at all.

What happened to the #18? Is that being saved for an extra player to make the trip up?

The 18 I reckon was Weyman, but he's nursing a minor injury according to reports and has pulled out of the match. Best to get him right for Rd 1.

I'm still not sold on Zillman in the centres, but we'll see.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think Zillman is a good choice for a centre but I think he would be better used as inside centre. I know it's a different game but he could provide a simular role that Matt Gittau provides in Rugby. They seem like very simular players.

Real Test for you guys, especially with the return of benji, however i know yous can win this, i like the look of the team, very young, its actually better than what i expected, i think yous will fight hard, but i think honestly tigers will win, but i think it will be closer than everyone thinks, good luck raids !!!

julian87

Juniors
I would still rather see Zillman at the back, Chalk used off th bench as a back rower who covers injuries in the backs as well. With Dunemann to f**k off to reggies.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm still pretty intersted to see what Dunneman can do before I write him off. Heard he did ok on the weekend.

Raider Azz

Bench
yeah, it's ridiculous to judge dunneman before you've seen him play. people were saying the same things about j smith and adamson when we just signed them too.

ak47

Juniors
i have heard from my UK mates that Dunnemann is a quality player that is consistent - he wont be a liability by any means

It seems as though the Super League in the UK is on the big improve in terms of quality

I havent seen better UK players than Morley n Carney since the Ellery Handly days

Then you have J Smith come back n terrorise the NRL
Then you have Adamson come back and play very well
The Tri-Series was awesome.
I know the WCC is played at the wrong time of the year but you gotto admit, that game the other day was full of quality.

IMO if the future requires it, we should seek more SL players, especially young up n comers that want to play in the elite comp of the world that being the NRL.

It appears money isnt an issue as made out to be
The aussies come back to retire - they dont care
The poms want to play the best of the best and want our weather - so they'll come

They just need an avenue - we should provide if required.

woodgers

Bench
TiTTieS_[CNTDN] said:
I don't really rate Bell all that much and Lyon will be in the #6 I believe. As for leaving Zillman in reggies, I couldn't agree more. Better off losing a few games at the start of the season than at the end of it (if this is even a result of Zillman playing).

Looks like your right actually. Most Manly fans think it will be Matai and Bell in the centres, with Lyon in #6 and Travis Burns to the bench. I'm no expert on Manly but I would have stuck by that Burns at 5/8, he had some great games at the back end of last year and looked the goods for a young player.

jed

First Grade
woodgers said:
Looks like your right actually. Most Manly fans think it will be Matai and Bell in the centres, with Lyon in #6 and Travis Burns to the bench. I'm no expert on Manly but I would have stuck by that Burns at 5/8, he had some great games at the back end of last year and looked the goods for a young player.
If you're going to throw a blank cheque at Lyon to join the club, you have to put him somewhere. Bell and Matai is a good centre pairing, I think they'll perform better there than Burns would at 5/8

viking

Juniors
god1 said:
I have a Q,
didnt Zillman play well in last years trials?
if so what positions did he play?

i'm pretty sure he played a little bit of half back in the trials last year