What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Sheenius already pulling his weight.
That’s why he was brought in.

Probably the case, mid year that the powers that be could see the failure of the current arrangements on their way. No doubt Hartigan was the smart one I’d say.

That pommie Shane Warne guy has huge wraps attached to him. He is legend.

C739DF5E-4762-4125-B049-FC5CF3032EF2.jpeg

If Ciraldo is a serious proposition, then it’s probably all over for Madge.

Madges contract says half price if we bone him.

What’s another $350k down the drain? That’s nothing to a wealthy club like us.

We gotta hope Lee is doing the secret legal work for that tool Christian Porter.

A minister who can’t afford a lawyer, ffs he must be friendless. Give the besuited knob a legal aid grant.

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Interesting snippet in this Danny Weidler story about Wayne Bennett. The narrative was always that it was Dave O'Neill who asked Ivan if he would be interested in returning to the Panthers, whereas in this version it was Ivan asking to be taken back. Not a big deal anymore, but would have been at the time if this had come out.

"Among all the controversy of the past week surrounding Bennett’s verbal sparring with Ivan Cleary, a sliding doors moment in Bennett’s career was overlooked. The underlying theme of revenge was forgotten.
Bennett was bounced out of the Panthers coaching job by Cleary after the supercoach had agreed to take charge of Penrith – not just once, but twice. A handshake deal between former arch-rivals Phil Gould and Bennett was done in the Woollahra home of Gould’s advisor, Wayne Beavis. The conversation lasted an hour and finished with Gould saying to Bennett: “I’ll leave Brian [Fletcher, Panthers chief executive] to sort out the money.”
Gould did the deal without knowing Cleary had asked Penrith chairman Dave O’Neill for another chance at the club. It was the shortest deal of Bennett’s career. He even reached out to the Panthers again when it looked like Cleary might not be able to get out of his deal at Wests Tigers."

Interesting snippet in this Danny Weidler story about Wayne Bennett. The narrative was always that it was Dave O'Neill who asked Ivan if he would be interested in returning to the Panthers, whereas in this version it was Ivan asking to be taken back. Not a big deal anymore, but would have been at the time if this had come out.

"Among all the controversy of the past week surrounding Bennett’s verbal sparring with Ivan Cleary, a sliding doors moment in Bennett’s career was overlooked. The underlying theme of revenge was forgotten.
Bennett was bounced out of the Panthers coaching job by Cleary after the supercoach had agreed to take charge of Penrith – not just once, but twice. A handshake deal between former arch-rivals Phil Gould and Bennett was done in the Woollahra home of Gould’s advisor, Wayne Beavis. The conversation lasted an hour and finished with Gould saying to Bennett: “I’ll leave Brian [Fletcher, Panthers chief executive] to sort out the money.”
Gould did the deal without knowing Cleary had asked Penrith chairman Dave O’Neill for another chance at the club. It was the shortest deal of Bennett’s career. He even reached out to the Panthers again when it looked like Cleary might not be able to get out of his deal at Wests Tigers."
Shout out and the love to Katoa.

Das Hassler

Bench

XXXL funny then that ivan stated at the time that he was blindsided by the invitation to come back when he thought he was attending a meeting about Nathan's contract.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The latest article sheds no new light to me at all, simply says we reached out to Ciraldo to see if he would be interested or not.

The review wouldn’t simply say YES/NO with Madge. It would have to say what options are available so we could make an informed decision on if he’s the best man for the job.

I know it hints that Ciraldo might not want the job, however to me if he didn’t he’d simply say no thanks, not ‘I’ll talk to you when the seasons over.’

I’m also very hesitant with CC. There’s been a stack of highly rated assistants flounder recently. Kristian Woolf is absolutely the man I would be going for.

JB04

Juniors
The latest article sheds no new light to me at all, simply says we reached out to Ciraldo to see if he would be interested or not.

The review wouldn’t simply say YES/NO with Madge. It would have to say what options are available so we could make an informed decision on if he’s the best man for the job.

I know it hints that Ciraldo might not want the job, however to me if he didn’t he’d simply say no thanks, not ‘I’ll talk to you when the seasons over.’

I’m also very hesitant with CC. There’s been a stack of highly rated assistants flounder recently. Kristian Woolf is absolutely the man I would be going for.
I agree Vic mate

Last night was a big defensive masterclass from both sides, but the Parra defensive coach is David Kidwell. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he our defensive coach at one stage? It's why I'd be hesitant to have Ciraldo as a coach. I'd be leaning towards Woolf or McNamara as my UK choices. Wane was Madges assistant when he was at Wigan, so he'd be Madge version 2

Last edited:

Yeah I’m very skeptical of press reports Vic but I gave some rare thought to your impression and I thunk it through.

I could be wrong, but I concluded thats it’s not in CC’s best interests to outright deny that he is interested in our job because if Penrith or another club ( offering him an assistant role) think he’s in demand, then he’s in a stronger negotiating position with them and others.

And I agree with his position that this years job isn’t done which I think is a worthy comment from him.

He had that post-Hook coaching command and won 3 from 6 including the storm, Titans and nz and then only lost the second semi to the Sharks by 1 point.

As the Panthers defensive coach, in the regular season, he is the best in the nrl by about 10% to the storm and then his achievement improves markedly against all other clubs.

The Sharks were after him as soon as Fitzy was appointed for next year but at that time, he committed to Penrith for 2022 as an assistant. The wind may have changed.

Jobs as a head coach in the nrl are very rare and you grab one if you can. You have to move, you can’t hesitate.

Another attribute of CC is that he is job-ready, up to speed with the whole show and won’t need an extended induction period.

He’s more than familiar with the whole Panther junior catchment and would no doubt assist Hartigan in a magnificent pillage of their best and brightest.

I conclude that our strong interest in cc as a head coach is quite well founded. We may have been better served by vigorously denying it, but we aren’t the best at these things.

10% better defence than the storm in the regular season is about all one needs on the resume!

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
If we went for Woolf he would probably attract some quality super league players. Even if he couldn't come next year and Sheens filled in Sheens would know he was doing it for Woolf. They would work together on signings. Tim would be able to set Woolf up with info on who trained well, who didn't. How some players are best handled etc. I would be happy to wait a year for Woolf in that scenario if needs be.

Hoops swinging this pink styrofoam pool duck into Madge last night on Fox website.

tbh its an fluffy opinion piece with nothing really new to add.

An alleged rift between Lee and Madge.

I read something uninspired like this and am almost persuaded that Madge should be given another 3 years.

I trust everyone saw the might and power that was Bea Arthur’s coaching on the weekend. My own view is they punched well above their weight and we could do worse than picking up the phone and inviting him in for a welfare check.

400CB9E5-9148-427D-A2D1-A1F253A11AE9.jpeg
Crowd photo from last weekend.

What’s going to sober Karen up is when Bellamy climbs on his back and makes him re-live last years grand final a hundred times over.

And Lee’s limo turns up to game afterwards and Ciraldo jumps in the front to drive him home to Concord Heights.

gordsy

Juniors
Madge staying seems to suggest they couldnt land anyone else in time or scumbags on fox and the scumbags tele and Chammas couldn't agitate enough to get him sacked. I just hope we don't sack Mage 8 - 10 games into next year and we have a plan moving forward. I have no faith this will happen however.

Last edited:
Madge staying seemd to suggest they couldnt land anyone else in time or scumbags on fox and at the tele and Chammas couldn't agitate enough to get him sacked. I just hope we don't sack Mage 8 - 10 games into next year and we have a plan moving forward. I have no faith this will happen however.
Sheens will be back full time and he will have no choice but to own some of the results as Madge will be directly under him.

So all hell will break loose.

Sheens will get everything he wants.

Further failure is not an option.

Vozzy

Juniors
So in other words the daily telegraph boys were just guessing about Madge getting the sack and now that they are wrong they make up another article that they never told Tim Sheens. I'm wondering if there are people leaking false information because they want the media to make up articles about them. Kind of like craving attention even if it's negative attention.

Das Hassler

Bench
So in other words the daily telegraph boys were just guessing about Madge getting the sack and now that they are wrong they make up another article that they never told Tim Sheens. I'm wondering if there are people leaking false information because they want the media to make up articles about them. Kind of like craving attention even if it's negative attention.

I think it's mostly as simple as them just creating stories from broad brush speculation. ...really. ..i mean who here couldn't do any of the so called RL "journos" jobs and come across just as knowledgeable ..let alone Ennis ...Anasta & Co ?... the machinations of the NRL are not exactly team sport's formula 1 engine....more like the complexity of a $79 chinese compressor. ..they don't need inside info...anything that does or doesnt happen is a one in three chance at worst. These lazy idiots proclaim priveliged knowledge of what's a fair chance of happening to anybody who knows what a corner post is.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
An embarrassment and a debacle: Tigers boss’ candid Q&A over Maguire saga
By Michael Chammas
September 21, 2021 — 9.01pm

Sydney Morning Herald rugby league reporter Michael Chammas spoke to Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis to find out why Michael Maguire was spared the axe.

Chammas: What transpired in the last 24 hours because it appeared Michael Maguire was a dead man walking on Monday? Was there a meeting or not?

Hagipantelis: There was a football committee meeting at 2.30pm [on Monday]. Michael Maguire addressed the football committee for the purpose of responding to concerns that had been raised by the internal review document. There was a 4pm board meeting scheduled to take place if required following the football committee. After Michael’s address, it was decided that the board meeting did not need to proceed, and therefore I cancelled it. The football committee reconvened this morning [Tuesday] after deliberating overnight and affirmed Michael’s engagement as the NRL head coach.

Chammas: The club’s performances haven’t improved in the last three years. What makes you think things will change next year?

I think there have been changes over the last three years, which aren’t reflective of the results on the paddock. There’s no doubt that we haven’t improved to the extent that we wanted. We finished 13th this year, 11th last year and ninth the year before. It is not the direction we wanted to go in, but I think we’ve put around Michael resources and opportunities for him to really excel next year and progress. We’ve got a very young and talented roster. I think it’s the youngest in the league. There’s a real smell about 2005 [when the Tigers won the premiership] with this roster, that they’re young, they’re keen and they’re hungry to learn. I think Michael Maguire is the right person to teach them.

Chammas: Are you concerned about recruitment, given the talk about Michael’s inability to attract players?

Hagipantelis: That’s a narrative that we’ve had to deal with. Unfortunately, there is a perception that it’s a self-fulfilling narrative but that’s not the impression that we’ve had. We’ve had a very positive response from players and from player managers to Michael and to the club itself. We regard the Wests Tigers as a destination club. There is a lot to offer at the Wests Tigers. I think Tim Sheens is going to be a very attractive proposition. So, it is a narrative that we’ve had to deal with but I don’t think we need to be concerned by it.

Chammas: You have been very critical of the team’s performances under Michael. Have you changed your opinion of him?

Hagipantelis: No, I’m very critical of losing. It’s not something that I’m used to and not something that I’m ever going to accept. But I’m not critical of Michael. I don’t have the level of experience or expertise to criticise him as a coach. He is a two-time premiership winning coach. He has all the qualifications and experience necessary to do the job. I’m unhappy finishing 13th, as our fans and members should be, but as a person and as a coach I’ve never been critical of Michael.

Chammas: He will head into next year under enormous pressure. How do you expect him to perform in an environment where an axe hangs over his head every week?

Hagipantelis: The pressure will be external, it won’t be internal. It won’t be pressure we’ll be putting on Michael or the playing group. We will provide them all the support and resources that they need to succeed, and we expect them to succeed. The pressure will be from journalists - such as yourself Michael and others, of course - who have an expectation now moving forward as to why the employment was confirmed. We expect Michael to do his best.

Chammas: Were you concerned that you couldn’t get Cameron Ciraldo as coach? Did that play a part in the decision-making process?
Hagipantelis: Well it would have, had we made a play for Cameron Ciraldo. The fact is we didn’t. We did not consider any alternatives whatsoever. We did not approach any alternative candidates, and we did not speak to anyone about any alternative candidates. Our focus was solely on the Wests Tigers and the coaching department as a group within the football department, which was the subject of the review.

Chammas: What was Michael’s reaction when you told him?
Hagipantelis: I think relief. There’s been a lot of media pressure on Michael and his family. Sometimes we forget that there’s a real-life human being behind all of this. We forget that Michael’s a married man with a young family. I think it’s very unfortunate for him to go through this process, but having said that I think he’s appreciative of it. I think he realises that there was an opportunity for us to actually really take time to pause, look at the organisation holistically, look at what we’re doing well, what we haven’t done well what we need to address moving forward to improve.

Chammas: What will change next year, and how does Tim Sheens fit into that?

Hagipantelis: Well, there will be some structural changes with respect to key personnel, there’ll be some procedural changes as well. They will be dealt with in-house. I think Tim Sheens will bring a lot to the organisation. I’ve dealt with him quite extensively over the last few months. He’s very impressive and his knowledge of the game has been next level. I think he’s going to be of great assistance to Michael and the NRL team. This is a man, of course, who has coached over 700 first-grade games. You don’t see that often. I think he will be an incredible value as a resource to the football department as a whole.

Chammas: Will Michael report to Tim Sheens next year?

Hagipantelis: I don’t know if we sorted out exactly the management structure as such, and I’m not really fussed about reporting. I think people work together. There is a hierarchy in place, but in terms of nuances of where people sit in that hierarchy - that doesn’t concern me. They’ll work it out for themselves. The fact is, Tim by reason of just his stature in the game and who he is, will take on a very senior role.

Chammas: What does this all mean for the future of Luke Brooks because it’s said he hasn’t enjoyed his time under Michael Maguire?

Hagipantelis: That’s not the feedback we’re getting at board level. The response we’re getting is Luke is absolutely committed and loves this club. He’s a local junior. He’s played all of his professional career with Wests Tigers. We would like to see him finish his career with the Wests Tigers despite reports to the contrary in the press. Luke Brooks is staying with the Wests Tigers and will be our halfback in 2022 and beyond. So if there are any genuine, legitimate concerns that we need to deal with, they’ll be dealt with in-house. But as I say, that’s not my understanding or impression as to what’s happened.

Chammas: What about the criticism of yourself, Justin Pascoe and the board in regard to this process?

Hagipantelis: Some of it is legitimate, some of it is not. The process did take a little bit longer than what I would have liked. The other thing that I do regret, and it’s most unfortunate, [is] that far too much of this process was played out in the media. There was far too much engagement, by some within the organisation, of the media. Yesterday, for example, was in my view a debacle and an embarrassment to the club. As the chairman, I’m greatly concerned. I made those concerns known to my fellow board members in no uncertain terms. The process itself, however, I thought was very fair and equitable. I thought it was an opportunity for all key personnel to address the board in a very comfortable and confidential environment.

Chammas: There’s a lot of pressure on Justin Pascoe to be removed as the CEO. He’s overseen the failures of the last six years. Is that fair or unwarranted?

Hagipantelis: I think it’s fair that we’re all subject to criticism. But I think there is an attempt to align Justin’s role with what happens on the field and I think that is inherently unfair. If someone can convince me that Justin’s termination as the CEO would reflect in better on-field performance, then I’d be happy to recommend that. Or if I felt that my resignation as chair of the organisation would result in better on-field performance, then I would resign. But I don’t see the necessary alignment between what we do in terms of administration and management, where we rely on the expertise of others, and they’ve got to be responsible or accountable for what they do. That’s not an attempt to shirk responsibility and say we can’t be held accountable for what happens on the paddock. If there are changes to be made at board level or executive level, I’m happy to entertain them once someone can convince me that those changes will result in a better on-field performance.

Chammas: How do you expect next year to pan out, because every week there is going to be speculation about Michael’s future. Has he been given assurances that he will see out next year?

Hagipantelis: Michael hasn’t been given that assurance, but I’m happy to do so. Michael Maguire still has two years on his contract. He’s expected to fulfil that contract. There is no suggestion whatsoever that there will be a review or consideration at a six- or the eight-round mark of season 2022.

An embarrassment and a debacle: Tigers boss’ candid Q&A over Maguire saga
By Michael Chammas
September 21, 2021 — 9.01pm

Sydney Morning Herald rugby league reporter Michael Chammas spoke to Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis to find out why Michael Maguire was spared the axe.

Chammas: What transpired in the last 24 hours because it appeared Michael Maguire was a dead man walking on Monday? Was there a meeting or not?

Hagipantelis: There was a football committee meeting at 2.30pm [on Monday]. Michael Maguire addressed the football committee for the purpose of responding to concerns that had been raised by the internal review document. There was a 4pm board meeting scheduled to take place if required following the football committee. After Michael’s address, it was decided that the board meeting did not need to proceed, and therefore I cancelled it. The football committee reconvened this morning [Tuesday] after deliberating overnight and affirmed Michael’s engagement as the NRL head coach.
Question not answered. Waffle and deflection.

Who cares when and what meetings were held?

Who voted for or against Madge?

Why did they vote that way?

What did the report say?

What did Madge say about it?

Can we have some information instead of spin city?

Anything?

Chammas you are a disgrace.

Lee, between you and Pascoe, the club is on its f**king knees.

Poor Madge putting up with this. If it’s not the lazy players it’s this incompetent flog.

Stand down Lee, you’re an arrogant tosser full of bullshit. You make Ivan Cleary seem like an attractive proposition as a blood relative.

I’m almost ready to change clubs after this.

This is the worst club pr I’ve ever read in my life.

I’m very angry 😡 furious.

And the biggest laugh about the inference that things are getting better for fans members.

We all know that we are the most hated and despised people associated with the club.

Lee, stop pissing on our backs and telling us it’s raining.

This is just my response to the first paragraph too.

Thanks @Ron's_Mate for posting. 👍 Much appreciated.

Last edited:
I think it's mostly as simple as them just creating stories from broad brush speculation. ...really. ..i mean who here couldn't do any of the so called RL "journos" jobs and come across just as knowledgeable ..let alone Ennis ...Anasta & Co ?... the machinations of the NRL are not exactly team sport's formula 1 engine....more like the complexity of a $79 chinese compressor. ..they don't need inside info...anything that does or doesnt happen is a one in three chance at worst. These lazy idiots proclaim priveliged knowledge of what's a fair chance of happening to anybody who knows what a corner post is.
Wtf Chammas letting Lee get away without answering anything. The worst nrl interview of all time. He’s a genuine moron with the iq of a lump of astroturf.

If Lee was trying to open and clear, we are better off with the perpetual lies and deceit these journalist pricks invent to sell us dodgy investments and trying to be cool.

Latest posts