What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raper desperate for a job

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20963613-23214,00.html

A HEARTBROKEN Stuart Raper has turned to NRL boss David Gallop in a desperate attempt to return to rugby league.

Sacked by his beloved Sharks in bitter circumstances, a down-on-his-luck Raper last week asked the league chief for advice on how he could rebuild his shattered career. With just three days until Christmas, the forgotten coach is laid up at his Gymea Bay home on crutches. A touch football accident has capped up a forgettable year for the former Sutherland-shire golden-boy who was given a $200,000 handshake after failing to end the Sharks 39-year premiership drought.

"I tore my achilles heal playing touch and it has just topped it all off," said Raper. "I will battle through Christmas but I am looking forward to forging ahead next year."

In a revealing interview, Raper told of how he approached NRL boss David Gallop and asked for help as he looks to get his career back on track. "I have been thinking about it a lot lately and I want to be involved in rugby league," he said. "I have looked at other opportunities in business but rugby league is something I know very well. I have enjoyed working with my wife Cathy in our formal hire business but football is something I have been involved in all my life and I want to stay in it.

"I went in to see David Gallop the other week and I have also had a chat with ARL boss Geoff Carr. It was very informal and I just wanted to let him know my position. He might be able to put my name forward if something comes up."

Raper had an emotional reunion with his former Sharks players at Harry Eden's funeral on Thursday. The talented coach revealed he never got a chance to say good-bye to his players after his sacking.

"I caught up with a few of the guys yesterday and it was really good," he said. "They all came up and shook my hand and I have to admit I really miss them. I guess I miss the interactive part, I just loved being involved with a footy club. I will always remember the good times and the laughs we had."

"Luke Douglas came up and thanked me for what I had done for him. I never got a chance to speak to him before I left. I am really looking forward to watching his career develop."

Although eager to return to coaching Raper ruled out a move to England but said he would take on an assistant's role in Australia. "The jobs aren't jumping out at the moment but I am remaining hopeful," he said.

"I had a chat to Michael Searle the other day. It wasn't about moving up to the Gold Coast but maybe doing a Matthew Johns type of role where I can come in for a few months and be Mr-Fix it. I wouldn't even have a problem being an assistant coach if it was the right role. I have done my time putting out witches hats but a role similar to Royce Simmons' or a Dean Lance's would be perfect."

While still having ambitions to be head coach, Raper said he would be a loyal assistant. "I have ambitions to be a head coach but I will never be a backstabber," he said. "I have never played that game and never will. It has properly cost me a couple of jobs in the past because I haven't been ruthless enough."

Inferno

Coach
Any club want him; even just to set out the witches hats?

Personally I wouldn't trust him to wash my car.

Philby

Juniors
The Braidwood Bears r looking for a conditioning coach for next year. We dont pay anything but im sure he would get a few free beers from our major sponsor and a seat on the bus for our end of season trip :)

coolumsharkie

Referee
Philby said:
The Braidwood Bears r looking for a conditioning coach for next year. We dont pay anything but im sure he would get a few free beers from our major sponsor and a seat on the bus for our end of season trip :)

Take heaps of Nescafe' and make sure you quote text from the bible alot.:roll:

McLovin

Staff member
Philby, your team logo looks alot like the Memphis Grizzlies team logo...

image.php

Philby's team

images

Memphis Grizzlies NBA team logo

:sarcasm: Carn lads!!!!

Go Nulla

Bench
I think that his talents would be more suited to Eels style of play. f**king useless ... maybe he could be Smith's fairy grog mother lol.

Mr Saab

Referee
Thats a very sad story.
He should swallow his pride and just hang out on the princess hwy with a sign saying "I want a job"

wittyfan

Referee
You'd think Raper was the first coach to ever be sacked.

He couldn't cut in the NRL. End of story.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Geez, sacked for failing to deliver a premiership to Cronulla. A bit like when David Wait was punted for not winning the Ashes with GB.

Inferno

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Geez, sacked for failing to deliver a premiership to Cronulla. A bit like when David Wait was punted for not winning the Ashes with GB.

lol, no he wasn't, he was sacked for being an absolute sh*thouse coach, nothing more, nothing less.

BWNB

First Grade
Misty Bee said:

No thats not the reason he was sacked, his team performed mediocre resuts over his 2 year coaching career at the Sharks, When you team is top 4 midseason and drops ten games in a row someone has to take the blame and in its case it was Raper.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Stuey, Im always fishing down in "The Bay" mate. If you want to get your mind off it all give me a call, we can head out for some Jewies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He should go and coach France, god knows he can't do a worse job than Monie is doing over there!

Latest posts