What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raper, The Imposter

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Dear Fellow Jets ,

For Those Who May Not Have Seen The Rlw, One Johny Raper Was Photographed In A Jets Shirt Playing Tennis, I Suppose After The Club He Played So Many Games For Now No Longer Wish His Services He Does Now Require A Place To Call Home,, Anything For A Free Beer And Sausage Sandwhich Will Do. or as they say where ever i lay my hat thats my home!! from memory thats is the north of England ?? or did he just lay his clothes there and wear his hat?? Hero Or Whore???

bluebag43

Juniors
I think it is good publicity for our Club that the greatest player of that era chooses to wear a Newtown T-shirt.

It may lead to some younger, less informed league supporters discovering that he was in fact a Newtown Junior.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
RL-raper.jpg

F.Y.I.: He played first grade for Newtown for two seasons before he got bought up by St George.

Be a bit gracious about an exceptional Newtown-made product you guys had the benefit of for ten seasons.

Club Career
Newtown 1957-1958 37 Games 10 Tries - 30pts
St George 1959-1969 180 Games 47 Tries 4 f/g - 149pts

Either you're a very sad sh*t-stirrer or an absolute idiot.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
hey dawson, get a life, he abandoned the jets yet still wishes to bath in the St George glory at Newtown functions, true Newtown heros are true firstly to them self and then the mighty jets..

koslecki

Juniors
it was the dragons that made him great. do u think anyone would of heard of playing fo a team like newtown..... I think not!

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
hey Kos, dont be too harsh, after all you are in the nwtown forum, show some respect and dont be a johny raper yourself

bluebagger

Juniors
I think it is time to move on Johnny Raper went to Saints over 50 years ago. If he wears a Jets TShirt it is good publicity for the club. You can't get upset about every player that left the club it is a professional sport. Johnny Raper was raised in Newtown ( went to St Joseph's Newtown School) his parents were lifelong Bluebag supporters . So I reckon that entitles him to wear a Newtown TShirt.
I remember when I was a teenager I was devasted that Neil Pringle went to Balmain . Hey life goes on. I saw John Ribot turn up to Henson Park to watch a game the year after he had left the club. He wanted to sit up in the Jet Set Longue Stand without paying but he had to ask Frank Farrington for a ticket. Guess what Frank gave him a free ticket . So let bygones be bygones I say.
Johnny Raper played for Newtown and St George if he is proud enough to show his allegiance to either club it is ok with me. I think Saints probably signed Johnny & Poppa Clay after Newtown beat them 55-7 in a Semi in 1955. The lure of the Money even had an effect in those days. Frank Facer was a very cluey administartor way ahead of his time . He was able to spot talent from other clubs & country areas eg, Clay,Raper & Provan all came from other clubs & keep on topping up his sides to win 11 comps straight. You can't blame Johnny Raper for celebrating being a part of that . If he wants to celebrate being a Jet & a Saint far enough I say.
CursedJet - Keep up the posts. I get the feeling that life on this forum is going to get interesting.

brendothejet

First Grade
As a fellow immortal who is torn between his love of St George as a fan, and his love of Newtown as a player I can empathise with Raper and his position.

Both clubs have given me tremendous amounts of joy and I have nothing but love for them both.

Who do I follow when they play?? St George of course, but do I get upset should we lose to the Jets. Never. In fact I smile.

I hope that has eased any pressure over the loyalties of Newtown and St George royalty alike.

2 True Blues

Coach
Ditto Bluebagger. Agree with your statement . It`s great having a stirrer on the forum, even if their knowledge is limited.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
2 true blues

my knowledge of rugby league may be limited, but at least i have a go, unlike you who is only able to pat someone with a greater intellect than yourself on the back.

Jeffles!!

are you a Muppet's character? sure does sound like it, anyway welcome to the perfect world of the Newtown forum.
you ask me to reveal myself!! for what reason? is the truth not welcomed in this forum?

2 True Blues

Coach
:lol: :lol: The ( person ) part of 2 True Blues that you are actually talking to was walking from railway stations to Jets games as early as 1950, and is one of the Jets longest and most passionate supporters. I find it amusing that you attempt to outwit someone that was outwitting obvious children such as yourself about 40 years before you were even an itch in your fathers silk panties. Thanks for the laugh though. LOL......:clap: :lol: :clap:

GO THE BLUES !!!

parra pete

Referee
THECURSEDJET said:
Dear Fellow Jets ,

For Those Who May Not Have Seen The Rlw, One Johny Raper Was Photographed In A Jets Shirt Playing Tennis, I Suppose After The Club He Played So Many Games For Now No Longer Wish His Services He Does Now Require A Place To Call Home,, Anything For A Free Beer And Sausage Sandwhich Will Do. or as they say where ever i lay my hat thats my home!! from memory thats is the north of England ?? or did he just lay his clothes there and wear his hat?? Hero Or Whore???

Johnny was not the Man in the Bowler Hat..He just claims to be.....
I think you'll find it was actually Denis Manteit...who wore the hat and a smile...

parra pete

Referee
Newtown Bluebags were (and still are a great Club)..I loved watching Tony Brown, Chicka Moore, Bobby Keyes, Ronnie Wright, Dudley Towers, Clarrie Jefferies, Bobby Whitton, Graeme Wilson, Noel "Tombstone" Dalton, Kevin Considine go around.
True Blue Rugby League players when League was tribal and passion - not money - ruled the game.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
parra pete said:
Johnny was not the Man in the Bowler Hat..He just claims to be.....
I think you'll find it was actually Denis Manteit...who wore the hat and a smile...
well thank you PP, you have just given more credence to my original post, he is exactly as I suggested, an IMPOSTOR