What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Rate the Fullbacks

Arguably the position with the highest quality across the board. Rating in order 1-16 from each club... what’s your list?

I’m going like this..

1 - Tedesco
2 - Tuivasa-Scheck
3 - Trbojevic
4 - Papenhuyzen
5 - Ponga
6 - Edwards
7 - Nicoll-Klokstad
8 - Dufty
9 - Hopoate
10 - Gutherson
11 - Brimson
12 - Mitchell
13 - Doueihi
14 - Boyd
15 - Kennedy
16 - Drinkwater

For me there’s a few things about this

- The top 4 are absolute standouts and I believe there’s a split hair between them. Tedesco is still number 1. Papenhuyzen is my favourite to watch though.

- Ponga is a step behind the top 4, then not much between 6-10 (Could be rearranged in any order on any given day). I think Hopoate is the most under-rated of these, in an underperforming club.

- Brimson then Mitchell then Doueihi. I believe Mitchell is one of the best centres in the comp but still finding his feet at 1.

- While I have a soft spot for Boyd, admittedly he’s in his autumn years. 3-4 years ago I’d have him top 5. 10 years ago he was #1.

- Kennedy n Drinkwater are the two I’ve seen little of Possibly better than this, so many might disagree - but that’s the point of the thread - opinions..

Note - many clubs have used multiple fullbacks (eg Mbye for tigers etc) and prime fullbacks like Trbojevic have largely been absent. But I’ve picked what I think are the “primaries” for each club - but possibly arguable for some teams

So debate at will...

Vee

First Grade
Gutherson should be higher. What he lacks in talent, he makes up for in effort. Ahead of those below.

Edwards too high. A good, safe, developing fullback but not ahead of CNK, Hoppa (less athletic but very smart) and Dufty.

mongoose

Coach
1. Tedesco
2. Turbo
3. Ponga/Papenhauzen
4. RTS

Dufty, Edwards and Hoppoate are too high on your list. Gutherson is easily better than all of them...

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol @ Gutho at 10....

I'd honestly have him at 2 right now. Which is skewed by RTS turning to plod, Ponga having a mid-teenage years crisis, Turbo being unable to put more than about eight games a year on and that bloke from my clubism....so 4/5 is reasonable, but ten? Oh dear

SDM

First Grade
I guess it depends on if you are judging who is capable of the best performance vs who will actually play 90% of the games.

Turbo is the best player on the list imo, but I wouldn't want my club to sign him, his hamstrings have destroyed another season for Manly.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'd swap Gutho & Edwards around. Very similar players, but Gutho has been consistent for longer.

Meth

Staff member
1 - Tedesco
2 - Tuivasa-Scheck- probably would be Turbo, if not for his injury. RTS's form has not been good this year
3 - Trbojevic
4 - Papenhuyzen
5 - Ponga
6 - Nicoll-Klokstad
7 -Gutherson
8- Dufty
9 - Mitchell
10- Edwards
11- Brimson
12 - Hopoate
13 - Doueihi
14 - Boyd
15 - Kennedy
16 - Drinkwater

Meth

Staff member
Papenhuyzen hasn't even played 50 games yet, and he gets to do it at a good club, he hasn't shown enough to be 4

fair enough. These sorts of things are a mix of form and past performances. I'd say there's daylight between 1 and 2 and then probably daylight between 3 and 4

SDM

First Grade
fair enough. These sorts of things are a mix of form and past performances. I'd say there's daylight between 1 and 2 and then probably daylight between 3 and 4

I know what you mean, I just think at this point the only difference between Brimson and Papenhuyzen is the clubs they play for.

Lol @ Gutho at 10....

I'd honestly have him at 2 right now. Which is skewed by RTS turning to plod, Ponga having a mid-teenage years crisis, Turbo being unable to put more than about eight games a year on and that bloke from my clubism....so 4/5 is reasonable, but ten? Oh dear

Understood. I reckon there’s almost nothing between 6-10 on that list , almost a dead heat across them all, as in my comments on original post. And I’ve discounted injuries. But all good opinions.

I reckon it’s close to the best crop of fullbacks across the board in NRL (and it’s predecessors) history, only stronger when Slater & Inglis were still playing two years ago.

If only we had halves as strong across the board, coz I think it’s completely the reverse of this at the moment, the lowest quality as a collective I can recall.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
There is a two-tier split of fullbacks: Matthew Dufty, and everyone else. You could rate the fullbacks in terms of how much of a Dufty a player is worth. Obviously Dufty himself rates 1.0, and everyone else will somewhere between 0 and 1.

Dufty Score Fullback Ratings

1. Matthew Dufty 1.0
2. James Tedesco 0.8
3. Tom Trbojevic 0.78
4. Clint Gutherson 0.77
5. Kalyn Ponga 0.76
6. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 0.73
7. Ryan Papenhuyzen 0.72
8. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 0.7
9. A.J. Brimson 0.67
10. Latrell Mitchell 0.65
11. Dylan Edwards 0.63
12. Will Hopoate 0.6
13. Will Kennedy 0.55
14. Adam Doueihi 0.5
15. Just who the f**k is the Cowboys fullback anyway?
16. Darius Boyd -1.0

shear_joy9

Coach
People have been watching too many Nable promos to have Ponga so high. Can look great in attack when he feels like playing, which is once a month, but is at Darius Boyd level in defence. He’s the ultimate “I’ll just pretend to go for the intercept or act like I intend to make a tackle” when the last line of defence