What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Rate the Fullbacks

The_Frog

First Grade
I think it’ll be another season to see how good a fullback he can be. I think he’s possibly the best centre going around but it’s become an “unsexy” position for some reason which I don’t get..
It's simple really. Fullbacks get paid more. Latrell likes his dollars.

The_Frog

First Grade
Edwards too high.
It would help him if he could stay healthy for longer. Not much of a ball player but supports line breaks as well as anyone. And he wouldn't be taking up the cap space of some of his rivals.

Fangs

Coach
Does Darius have some injury that he has carried his whole career? I have never seen someone get wrong-footed that many times. You could blame a tired front rower in the 79th minute but not your fullback.

The guy makes some of the most laughable defensive mistakes at fullback.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Latrell has the most linebreak assists in the NRL, equal third for try assists, and only 3-4 more errors total than Tedesco, Dufty, Gutherson, et al.

I'd rather a fullback that creates points consistently than one that runs 200m and does not much else.

Of course we can't all be Tedesco who does both equally amazingly! But Latrell deserves way more recognition for his transition than he has received

I prefer fullbacks that know where to be positionally, LM is a great player, but there is more to being a great RL player than attack. LM's positional play at FB is atrocious. Doesn't stop him from doing great stuff in attack but it certainly stops him from being a great FB at the moment

DeeJ

Bench
Does Darius have some injury that he has carried his whole career? I have never seen someone get wrong-footed that many times. You could blame a tired front rower in the 79th minute but not your fullback.

Torn heartilage. Gus and Joey still rate him as the best defensive fullback in the game though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Darius the diver?

Calling it diving is way too kind. At least you might get a penalty out of a dive. I watched the highlights this morning and the Butcher try is horrible. He literally drops to his arse on the deck. And the final BMoz try he just jogs into him and calls that an effort at defence.

But I reckon the Josh Morris try in the 70th min was the worst. Darius literally just jogged towards the touchline.

While it’s a theory only... the last 2 seasons is the first time he’s been coached by anyone other than Wayne Bennett. And that coach has had issues if his own to deal with.

It shouldn’t be an issue or excuse for a professional footballer at all, but there’s no doubt that Bennett got the best out of Boyd, who’s had a difficult past.

Thurston was well below par in his last year of NRL, like many others. Boyd’s in the twilight of his career and the transition to retirement I think may be more difficult for him than many others.i hope not though.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Dariarse does his keep best to keep a low missed tackle count by doing everything he can not to not touch the attacker

AJ Brimson is at least in the top 8 on this list now for mine.

Corey Allan would rate highly also now Mitchell is gone.

Both played against SOO fullbacks tonight. And Brimson schooled about 6 Knights inc Ponga for a try..

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Brimson had really impressive footwork in that try but the knights also were pretty soft. He looks an absolute talent though

Watching round 1...

• Papenhuyzen was blistering
  • Mitchell showed (after missing the last portion of 2020) ominous signs of what he could be..
  • Tuivasa-Scheck was brilliant, particularly in defence near his line.
  • Tedesco was everywhere causing chaos (except for goal kicks..)
I still think it’s the position with the highest quality of talent in the NRL. And by a mile.

Last edited:
For mine, Trbojevic is now the best fullback in the NRL.

Not just on his awesome display today against the Warriors... but since returning from injury he’s been sensational...

That Manly were shot to pieces when he was out, and have won all bar one game since his return (the loss being a close fought encounter against the undefeated panthers..) isn’t just a coincidence.

Tedesco, Papenhuyzen and Tuivasa-Scheck are all outstanding fullbacks. Tedesco the best of the 3.. But...

But Trbojevic is just a level above. The influence he has on his side far exceeds the others IMO.

In playing against any fullback in the comp, I’d most fear Trbojevic and by a long way. That’s nothing against Tedesco or the others. It’s just how good he is....

I’d prefer TT at #1 for NSW in the SOO. Unless Tedesco is injured I can’t see it happening but that’s how I’d go, he’s that good.

For mine, Trbojevic is now the best fullback in the NRL.

Not just on his awesome display today against the Warriors... but since returning from injury he’s been sensational...

That Manly were shot to pieces when he was out, and have won all bar one game since his return (the loss being a close fought encounter against the undefeated panthers..) isn’t just a coincidence.

Tedesco, Papenhuyzen and Tuivasa-Scheck are all outstanding fullbacks. Tedesco the best of the 3.. But...

But Trbojevic is just a level above. The influence he has on his side far exceeds the others IMO.

In playing against any fullback in the comp, I’d most fear Trbojevic and by a long way. That’s nothing against Tedesco or the others. It’s just how good he is....

I’d prefer TT at #1 for NSW in the SOO. Unless Tedesco is injured I can’t see it happening but that’s how I’d go, he’s that good.

But if you want both in the Blues, you keep Teddy at FB because Tom can play anywhere in the backline. He’s more adaptable.