What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Hadley must be eating humble pie

blaine train

Juniors
After advocating for so long the relocation of Melbourne to anywhere, how must he be feeling after seeing the TV ratings for the grand final, and improved crowds as the season went on? This also served another reminder of the after effects of state of origin three in Melbourne, because it is no coincidence that the popularity of the game has increased since then.

taxidriver

Coach
the melbourne ratings on the surface are good.

I'd like to see them going head to head versus afl next season.

maybe then you can talk about Ray eating some pie.

blaine train

Juniors
Obviously there is a long way to go, but imagine if the NRL had of taken his stance and relocated the team? Atleast now it seems there is potential there

PARRA_FAN

Coach
He's still carrying on, I didnt listen to 2GB myself but someone told me after the grand final he said something like "It just proves you cant win Grand Finals not producing your own players. Brisbane have always been a top side cause they produce their own players. Melbourne cant do that in their own turf so they pinch players from other clubs and other areas. Thats why they should relocate to Sydney or the Central Coast, where they can produce their own crop of players and supporters. There were hardly any when they left Melbourne.":roll:

Did anyone else listen to that comment? wouldnt surprise me if no-one else did, cause 2GB have lost supporters.

If thats true, then the NRL should automatically ban the ratings from not only 2GB but also Ray Hadley. All he does is bag Rugby League in Melbourne, come up with made up stories like the one about Tim Smith and laugh at his own jokes. I just hope the NRL are smart enough to give the ratings to 2SM, Graham Hughes. All day they'll talk RL as well as MG and Langers. Best show in Sydney.

taxidriver said:

maybe then you can talk about Ray eating some pie.

The Melbourne ratings for the League GF have been good for a few years now.

There were more people watching the NRL GF in Melbourne than watched the AFL Grand Final in Sydney in 2002, 3, 4 & 6.

Going head to head with AFL would be stupid and pointless. The only game I can recall where AFL went head to head with the NRL in Sydney it was soundly beaten and there's no way they'll go close if they put it up against our FNF in Sydney, we should do it either.

I don't think anyone thinks League can take over in Melbourne, a decent niche the size of the Swans and good audiences for our event games is what I think the aim is. At the moment, the event thing is working well with good SOO crowd and ratings when live, same for the GF.

The Storm's new ground will certainly help and their profile over the past few weeks won't hurt either.

PARRA_FAN said:
He's still carrying on, I didnt listen to 2GB myself but someone told me after the grand final he said something like "It just proves you cant win Grand Finals not producing your own players. Brisbane have always been a top side cause they produce their own players. Melbourne cant do that in their own turf so they pinch players from other clubs and other areas. Thats why they should relocate to Sydney or the Central Coast, where they can produce their own crop of players and supporters. There were hardly any when they left Melbourne.":roll:

Did anyone else listen to that comment? wouldnt surprise me if no-one else did, cause 2GB have lost supporters.

If thats true, then the NRL should automatically ban the ratings from not only 2GB but also Ray Hadley. All he does is bag Rugby League in Melbourne, come up with made up stories like the one about Tim Smith and laugh at his own jokes. I just hope the NRL are smart enough to give the ratings to 2SM, Graham Hughes. All day they'll talk RL as well as MG and Langers. Best show in Sydney.

its pretty sad but i think the NRL are scared uf upsetting hadley and Alan jones by giving someone else a crack at calling the games. If Hadley is talking rusbish now imagine what he will be doing when he has to go up against 2ue, 2sm and MMM! funny thing is i remember him being interviewed on sports tonight when 2ue lost the radio rights and they went exclusivley to 2gb, he was blowing up like youve never seen and then a year or so later he went and signed with them(2gb).

Quidgybo

Bench
taxidriver said:

Why on earth would you do that, it's just commercial suicide. No one here is foolish enough to believe that the AFL are not the biggest game in town in Melbourne. But that doesn't mean we can't build a substantial following of our own if we're smart about when and where we take on the giant. The past weekend proves that. The undeniable fact is that the NRL Grand Final telecast in Melbourne outrated the AFL Grand Final telecast in Sydney in raw numbers despite Melbourne being only 3/5 the size. Isn't that enough for you?

Leigh.

so when the storm have a bad season or 2 and no one is going to the games or watching them on tv the NRL should /will ignore it THEN or will they always make sure they are successful as they did this year.

I would have moved the storm to the gold coast and relocated souths to the central coast and then offered incentives for further merges such as penrith and parramatta and cronulla with stgeorge- illawarra

12 team comp - 2 rounds - top 8 still

gregstar

Referee
marshall stalin said:
so when the storm have a bad season or 2 and no one is going to the games or watching them on tv the NRL should will ignore it THEN or will they always make sure they are successful as they did this year
it took well over 800 posts but well done.

unless of course someone with common sense has hijacked your keyboard.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
marshall stalin said:
so when the storm have a bad season or 2 and no one is going to the games or watching them on tv the NRL should /will ignore it THEN or will they always make sure they are successful as they did this year.

I would have moved the storm to the gold coast and relocated souths to the central coast and then offered incentives for further merges such as penrith and parramatta and cronulla with stgeorge- illawarra

12 team comp - 2 rounds - top 8 still

no thanks Dennis.

greenhat

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:

Having no local juniors never stopped the Roosters.

LESStar58

Referee
What were the ratings for Melbourne?

I was actually waiting for the Sydney media to start sharpening the knioves on the back of a Storm loss.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:

Hadley is a professional troll. Suggesting that they relocate Melbourne to Sydney proves it beyond a doubt.

super_coach

First Grade
Marshall Starlin-----what a great idea a top 8 in a 12 team comp

That means their are only 4 teams that miss out on the top eight,with the sharks and south both morgages on two of those positions,its near impossible to miss the playoffs--why not have a top 12 and start the comp in september with one big finals comp

I thought we reward average teams enough now with a top eight system

Latest posts