What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray warren retiring at end of season

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
I would never wish anyone ill health.
I can say I am happy Ray is going, but Hadley would be even worse.
What is wrong the people @ CH9?
Then again, I will never have to watch CH9 again.
Fox all the way.

pretty much this...

as much as I hate fox I am glad I wont have to watch reruns amateur hour every weekend on channel 9.

axl rose

Bench
Was a good commentator in the 80s and some of the 90s.
Has been crap ever since. I can't wait until he is gone.
Someone mentioned he is a good bloke, geez even his mates will tell you he is a prick of a man, maybe its the senility

His best mate is Ray Hadley. Need I say more. Channel 10 had the good sense to punt this has-been in late 80s.

Stagger Lee

Bench
CH9 need a near complete clear out not just Rabs - footy show as well as the games.

Voss I would keep
SLATER maybe because he is professional at least.
Yvonne Sampson - keep (is she still at CH9?)
Erin Molan - getting better but think they can do better

burn the rest of them

bluefox1968

Juniors
CH9 need a near complete clear out not just Rabs - footy show as well as the games.

Voss I would keep

burn the rest of them

100% agree. But can you see it happening? No - too much of a boy's club...

BuffaloRules

Coach

Voss I would keep

burn the rest of them

Nine should keep Voss.

Perhaps he should take Hadley under his wing and try to mentor him? I hear they are good mates..

Slater's work on the Footy Show last year was his best so far...

Yvonne Samson has left I think...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Loved Ray in the 90s but he's gone full Benaud now. The sad thing for Channel 9 is that he was actually their best commentator.......so glad we have the option of using Fox commentary for those games now.

Loved Ray in the 90s but he's gone full Benaud now. The sad thing for Channel 9 is that he was actually their best commentator.......so glad we have the option of using Fox commentary for those games now.

Benaud at his worst was still a class above Rabs.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Rabs is the best commentator Ive known since I followed League as a kid. Back then he was rated the best and not far behind him was Graham Hughes.

Really got you excited and come with up some classic calls over the years, including some nice clichés.

I think given the amount of games he's reduced calling, mainly Sunday, probably signalled for me that he wasn't far off retiring.

I would've thought he retired after the 2012 Olympics, but thankfully he kept going. Dunno how anyone would've put up with Raaaayy as the main caller.

And its fitting that he called one of the most talked about games of all time, 2015 Grand Final.

With Rabs retiring, Channel 9 would probably promote Mat Thompson as the main caller, considering he called 2 finals games last year, and get some other young caller to call the other matches. God help us if Tim Gilbert or Raaaayy are still calling, but thankfully Fox Sports also shows those matches.

Question for the QLD Cup followers, who would usually call those games if Mat Thompson is calling the NRL matches?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Antonio kaufusi did our trial against the donkeys in Mackay. Quality stuff I'd throw him at the top of the list ;)

Big Salad

Juniors
Qld Cup used Peter Psaltis (normally the sideline commentator) as the main caller when Matt Thompson was unavailable last year. I actually think they sound a bit similar and both do a fine job.

With Gyngell no longer running 9 it would be nice to see them get Voss back but I doubt that will happen.

Danish

Referee
Does anyone here listen to Denan Kemp's podcast The Locker Room? He did an episode with Fitler and in the Freddy alluded to Hadley not coming back to the coverage this year.

Didn't say it as a definite, but that he didn't believe Hadley was coming back in 2016 and said Ray was more of a radio caller. He also said Matt Thompson would be a good choice to replace Warren if/when he retires

Rabs has been past it for years but his voice in highlight reels was still iconic at least.

He's a legend of the game really.

Hawkins

Juniors
I don't watch with sound anymore because, well you've all heard the announcers. But it was nice to know he was still there.

Latest posts