What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rd 1 vs broncos teams

Caged Panther

First Grade
Mar 11 - Here are Penrith's sides for this weekend's matches in 1st Grade, Under 20s, SG Ball and Harold Matthews.

NRL - Vs Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium, Sunday 16 March - 1.00pm Kickoff (QLD time)

1. Rhys Wesser 2. Luke Rooney 3. Brad Tighe 4. Maurice Blair 5. Michael Jennings 6. Jarrod Sammut 7. Joe Williams 8. Adam Woolnough 9. Luke Priddis 10. Petero Civoniceva (C) 11. Trent Waterhouse 12. Tony Puletua 13. Nathan Smith. Interchange: 14. Paul Aiton 15. Frank Pritchard 16. Brendan Worth 17. Frank Puletua 18. Matthew Bell

Toyota Cup 20's - Vs Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, Sunday 16 March - 10.45am (QLD time)

1. Lachlan Coote 2. Sonny Tuigamala 3. William Isa 4. Chris Ward 5. Junior Tia Kilifi 6. Trent Iselin 7. Luke Clydesdale 8. Sam McKendry 9. Masada Iosefa 10. Tinirau Arona 11. Michael Leeds 12. Bradley Goodwin 13. Jamie Theoharous Interchange: 14. Joel Romelo 15. Joseph Paulo 16. Shane Blackett 17. Ollie Tia Tia

NSW Cup - Windsor Wolves Vs Bulldogs at Windsor Sporting Complex, Saturday 15 March

1. Richie Williams 2. Mark O'Halloran 3. Geoff Daniela 4. David Georgiou 5. Zoram Watene 6. Ben Harden 7. Josh McCrone 8. Hutch Maiava 9. Keith Peters 10. Fatualua Mumu 11. Junior Moors 12. John Nuumaallii (C) 13. Josh Bateman Interchange: 15. Jason Chan 16. Andrew Pearn 17. Lino Salafai 18. James Nightingale 19. Alister Taua'a

S.G. Ball - Vs Gold Coast Titans at CUA Stadium, Saturday 15 March - 4.00pm

1. Ali Beale 2. Ulise Fahina 3. Matthew Wright 4. Ben Blair 5. John Feiloakitau 6. Wade Graham 7. James Smart 8. Everett Vaurasi 9. Shane Smith (C) 10. Samson Sene 11. Andrew Pritchard 12. Lota Fiaalii 13. Sam Jones Interchange: 14. Gavin Taylor 15. Zac Bohan 16. Allan Tuiala 17. Ben Takiawai 18. Kilifi Tia Kilifi 19. Senetali Lilomaiava 20. Matthew Minto

Harold Matthews - Vs South West Academy at CUA Stadium, Saturday 15 March - 2.30pm

1. Nicholas Mataia 2. Michael Compton 3. Jon Pepa 4. Tevita Feiloakitau 5. Andrew Tauvao 6. Robbie Mate 7. Harry Seijka (C) 8. Junior Masaga 9. Blake South 10. Jon Taefu 11. Sam Hollis 12. Vaipuna Tia Kilifi 13. Corey Carl Interchange: 14. William Beale 15. Solo Alone 16. Thomas Eisenhuth 17. Dean Zammit 18. Tyrone Viiga 19. Jacob Brenner 20. Paul Lolesio 21. Keti Nanai

All I will say is what the f**k is eliott thinking playing the best centre in the club by a country mile on the wing???:?

Black Majik

Juniors
I think you will find (and I hope) Jennings being on the wing allows him that "rovers" role that the modern day winger is supposed to do. NB: I did say I hope!

mxlegend99

Referee
Worth? Matt Bell should have been picked ahead of him. Although i'll give him the BOTD since i heard he has slimmed down quiet a bit.

Smith? He is a great BACKUP (ie. last choice/no alternative) lock, but deadset... he shouldn't be anywhere near our starting team. Masada Iosefa is the man for the job.

Jennings on the wing? Up against either Boyd or Robinson... that could be a genius move actually. Much better then opposing Hodges again.

Jennings on the wing is a puzzler.

Although you might be right , up against the Broncos wingers it may be a good match. Although i hope its only this round.

mxlegend99

Referee
It could also be that he is better on the wing then Tighe and Blair... and without Gordon, this is the best way to fix that problem.

When Gordon is back on the wing, i would imagine Jennings will partner Tighe in the centres... with Blair moving either to lock, bench or Windsor Wolves.

murraymob

Coach
the windsor team is interesting as well

Ritchie williams fullback..
mark ohallaran on the wing
But i do agree its strange playing the best center in the club Jennings on the wing.

Big Mick

Referee
well...many liabilities there

Don't know how we will hide Tighe, Sammut and Williams..along with an ineffective defender in Smith...

Think we are in a bit of trouble tbh...but here's hoping their defence proves me wrong.

Fibroman

First Grade
My mail is Zoram Watene might be on the plane to Brizzie as an extra due to a few injury woes in the u/20's.

Kilkenny

Coach
Jennings on the wing is all about selecting the best available 17 players and then accomodating them into positions. I seem to recall he played on the wing for Austrailia in the junior sides when Inu and Lawrence were selected as the centres.

IMO the side is clearly the strongest ME could have selected for round one and it is now up to the selected players to do the business.

On Nathan Smith how could you possibly leave him out on the back of his form last season. He was week in week out one of our most consistent players and does a lot of the unsung work in defence that some of our more high profile forwards are not noted for.

On Worth he came to the club with big wraps and did well in his first season at a young age. He clearly has trained on well and he deserves our full support.

All in all it still boils down to the halves combination. Sammut - Williams huge question marks. Even had Luke Lewis been fit there would still have been huge issues. I fear the halves issue is going to haunt the Panthers in 2008.

Big Mick

Referee
Kenny...Worth showed nothing..and had no wraps...he was utterly useless and proved that.

WIth Nathan Smith, everyone says that, but if everyone watched tapes over again you'll see the following:

1) A number of tries from 30 out, or close to the line...Nathan Smith was the defender who missed the tackle.

2) When there was a dropped ball on the 50, 3/5 times it was Smith again

3) He never made a line breaking run and sprinted away

4) He never made a dominant tackle all season.

Thats a very potent backline in firstgrade, capable of a lot of tries!
Alot of Jennings play is centred around his ability for quick scoots, if you check his stats i think you will find a large percentage of his hitups last year were actually scoots out of dummy half, and arguably thats where he is most dangerous.

The NYC side looks good but i havnt seen a few of those guys play before so i cant tell too much. Although there bench does look extremely strong!
It will be a good gauge to see how they go against the broncs!

As for the windsor team , there side looks extremely strong! I think they may be a real force in the comp this year, the side on papre probably looks even stronger than premier league last year.

Big Mick

Referee
Tell u what...with Grants injury..we're lookin a bit skinny at prop now arn't we?

If one or two go down we'll be strugglin.

I know Hutch and McKendry are there...but geez its a gamble.

I'd rather see T.Puletua converted to prop..said it last year, saying it again...I believe he should be on the bench as an impact prop/ala Ruban Wiki/Steve Price that mobile prop who can get an offload away.

As his career winds down that is where his future is

Munky

Coach
In Pritchard, T Puletua and Waterhouse we have three backrowers capable of playing props circa 2003.

It's not like our backrow is full of tackling machines.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
Tell u what...with Grants injury..we're lookin a bit skinny at prop now arn't we?

If one or two go down we'll be strugglin.

I know Hutch and McKendry are there...but geez its a gamble.

I'd rather see T.Puletua converted to prop..said it last year, saying it again...I believe he should be on the bench as an impact prop/ala Ruban Wiki/Steve Price that mobile prop who can get an offload away.

As his career winds down that is where his future is

I've been advocating moving Big T into the front row for some time now as I truly believe he can do more damage getting us over the advantage line with the occasional second phase play when he can effect an offload. Playing Big T out wide in the last season or two simply hasn't been effective and I totally agree he needs to be used in the same way as Wiki/Price.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Black Majik said:
I think you will find (and I hope) Jennings being on the wing allows him that "rovers" role that the modern day winger is supposed to do. NB: I did say I hope!

Maybe Matty Elliot wants him playing on the wing so he isn't marked by Hodges??

Fibroman

First Grade
hadges embarassed Jennings last year with a couple of soft tries.

Don't forget Jennings is about 5'10" 88kgs and Hadges is about 6'2" 98kgs. It's a bit of a miss-match. I'd feel happier with Blair marking up against Hodges (who by the way is still a cat, but not as much of a cat as he was when he was playing for the goosters)

Caged Panther

First Grade
I had to laugh at some comment I read today about the panthers migh struggle with the heat and humitiy of brisbane. Have any of these people been anywhere near penrith during the middle of summer.

murraymob

Coach
the more they keep finding excuses why penrith cant beat the broncos the better for penrith.So far i have heard
1.the halfs are new .So are the broncos
2.the heat will affect penrith.They should look at temprature here its as hot here as there
3.The black jerseys will affect penrith.Weather prediction showers and 27 degrees hardly a problem
4.best of all the odds on penrith keep going up with the start and out right

Dave Q

Coach
Ive tipped the Panthers, I dont rate it as an upset but as a likely reality.

The Panthers have had a fierce off-season and are deadset fugging willing.

They will drive for the full 80 and at the end of the day, that will be the difference.