Rd19: Parramatta v Warriors LIVE GAME DAY thread 27/7/19

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by TheParraboy, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Pazza

Pazza First Grade

Gutho was doing his best Luke Burt impersonation on some of those returns.

2. hindy111

hindy111 Referee

Dad grounded me you merkin not mum.

3. T-Boon

T-Boon First Grade

Try doing that when we have Fergo and Semi taking the first two hit ups.
    The guy earlier who said he would rather two solid forwards rather than Semi does not realise that starting a set off with Semi hit ups off the back of Fergo hit up or vise versa will turn average forwards into star forwards.

4. hindy111

hindy111 Referee

Well to me they where far more aggressive with 3 or 4 guys beating our first 2 charges.
    Parry was rag dolled like a 10yld and wasn't physically up to nrl yet. Hoffman is far more ready.

Noise and Happy MEel like this.
  5. Soren Lorenson

Soren Lorenson Juniors

Sivo got pushed back a couple of times too. The refs were very very slow to call held.

6. eel01s

eel01s Bench

I reckon Parry will be a monster after a good off season. He is very willing for a collision. A lot of upside.

7. I'm a loser baby...

I'm a loser baby... Referee

Even for us at the end I was dreading square ups but we seemed to be able to lay on them for quite a while.

8. Soren Lorenson

Soren Lorenson Juniors

I was at the game so didn't hear any commentary, but it seemed like the warriors were slowing the play the ball by holding us up, rather than wrestling on the ground

9. Noise

Noise Coach

Holding the player up is the best way to wrestle. Wrestling on the ground you are far more likely to give a penalty away

10. Suitman

Suitman Immortal

Pretty much this.
    They knew when to halt momentum. A Bellamy tactic that Kearney has taken on board.
    Our performance was awful to be honest. Can't believe we won.
    Line defence speed was still slow compared to our opposition. Still dominated in the play the ball. Kick chases were really average. All these things are really basic stuff, yet we can't get them right consistently.

Unless things improve, we'll be cannon fodder in the finals. We just look really lazy at times, just doing the bare minimum, It ain't good enough, and it certainly won't win us a comp.
    So, the same old same old.

11. Suitman

Suitman Immortal

I was at the game too, and I reckon they tried to do both.

12. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Yes they were definitely holding the tackled player up and delaying the call for held.

Wally21 likes this.
  13. Djay

Djay Juniors

Agreed, he was brilliant today, he had footwork and was making great yardage all day.

Good to get a tough gritty close win, but sorry to be negative but our defence is just simply awful.

They scored nearly every time they were in our red zone, we didn't turn them away once.They nearly walked over the line with ease for every try, we simply can't count and get over lapped every time. I saw Blake absolutely roast Parry for coming in when Maumalo scored, it's simple and we make it look so hard. The past month has been piss poor as far as defending goes. Unless this is going to be fixed we are not doing anything, we may make the semis but we will be making up the numbers.

Thought Gutherson and Moses were really good today and special mention to Drown who struggled the first few games back is starting to slowly find his feet, his short kicking game was brilliant and his defence for someone so small was also very good.

Good win but far from convinced.

Glenneel, Happy MEel and Gazzamatta like this.
  14. Matty Bhoy

Matty Bhoy Juniors

Some really glass half empty posts here tonight. Are people forgetting we had the wooden spoon last year? We’d have lost today’s game by 20+ in years gone by. Our forward pack is light weight and we had no Fergo, had a centre/wing pairing that probably haven’t trained together let alone played together and still managed to guts it out.

We aren’t going to win the comp this year, so enjoy the progress we are making. With a couple of astute pick ups in the off season we potentially are entering a premiership window. Up the Eels!

emjaycee, Wally21 and DaveMc like this.
  15. Delboy

Delboy First Grade

Good win, and a vast improvement on last year, but what is obvious is that the defensive basic structures are terrible. We are certainties to be get an overlap on the edge when defending scrums and set piece.

That should be a reason of itself to change the person whose responsibility is the defensive side of the ball. That was the problem at Wests Tigers and other stops on his journey, so expect more of the same if changes aren't made for 2020.

Noise likes this.
  16. I'm a loser baby...

I'm a loser baby... Referee

I know what you're saying and I think usually I'd be of a similar point of view but watching it, it was a depressing win, if there is such a thing. Obviously perspective matters a lot and a couple of decisions with big consequences can change that, like their knock on before the dodgy try can change the whole complexion of the match. But we also did a lot of crap stuff that the real contenders don't seem to do. The positive is that is was mostly simple stuff to fix. So I'm glad we bagged the points and not slitting wrists but not much more hopeful than I was earlier.

Noise and Happy MEel like this.
  17. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

The [NZ] TAB has refunded $44,000 worth of bets on the Warriors in the wake of the Kiwi NRL club's controversial defeat to Parramatta on Saturday.

The Warriors were denied what would have been a spectacular match-winning try in the dying stages after the referees ruled Roger Tuiavsa-Sheck's flick pass to have gone forward.

The visitors were also on the wrong end of a 9-2 penalty count, with the Eels not conceding a penalty between the ninth and 80th-minute.

A message on the TAB website said the bookmaker had decided to refund all head-to-head bets on the Warriors, labelling it a "justice payout".

"A disgraceful officiating decision has denied the NZ Warriors a thoroughly deserved victory against the Parramatta Eels," the statement said. "Usually it would be "Bets Gone Warriors", but not this time. We have refunded all head-to-head bets placed on the Warriors in this game."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...sgraceful-officiating-decision-in-eels-defeat

hindy111 likes this.
  18. T-Boon

T-Boon First Grade

Yep, hold them up for 5 seconds then a
    third man circles around and grabs the legs, twist him onto his back as he falls, another guy drops on top, while little guy around legs takes his shoe off and throws it into crowd.

19. hindy111

hindy111 Referee

Wow anyone ever sat in bays 220?

20. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

Merkin the only bay you ever sat in was Long Bay!

Obscene Assassin likes this.