What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd6: Eels v Raiders GAME DAY thread @ Cbus Stadium 17/4/21

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They seem to have a different perception of what makes a good player.

Nicoll-Klokstad is another. Patrick Herbert at the Titans is also a pretty decent player they let go.
This just means they produce a lot of players. You can't keep them all. As for signing Kane Evans, they needed some size in their pack. He's certainly a lot taller than Papali'i and I reckon better at running at a set defence.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I also want to shout out Moses - he understandably cops a lot of criticism because of his erratic play.

But I thought he was outstanding tonight - his kicks were on point, his running game looked better than it has in years, and he defended well.

I am a fan of Will Smith, but I'm glad he didn't try ro overplay his hand - he let Moses run the team, and we looked slick.
Much easier when your pack isn't being dominated.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
tenor.gif
A young @hineyrulz before he had his lime scooter.

IFR33K

Coach
Yeah if you've got a team full of mentally weak no-hopers you at least want a game plan that takes the pressure off them.

Mate, we’ve struggled to win away from home in recent years. We’ve adjusted that. We’ve struggled to win at Canberra in years, that’s now not the case. Hopefully if we make the finals we jag a couple of wins. It’s taken some time, but the mentally of the team is changing.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Mate, we’ve struggled to win away from home in recent years. We’ve adjusted that. We’ve struggled to win at Canberra in years, that’s now not the case. Hopefully if we make the finals we jag a couple of wins. It’s taken some time, but the mentally of the team is changing.
Our mental strength has never been the issue imo. We always put in.

Composure and the ability to play smart when we are being overpowered is where we struggle. Sometimes we panic and take bad options.

IFR33K

Coach
Our mental strength has never been the issue imo. We always put in.

Composure and the ability to play smart when we are being overpowered is where we struggle. Sometimes we panic and take bad options.

I don’t agree. We failed to focus for the full 80, in previous years. We’d let teams back into games when we had a decent lead, or in close games we’d piss our pants and roll over. Allowing the opposition to score plenty of points.

IFR33K

Coach
Anyways, if matto is fit next week, does papa move into the middle? We’d be weakened by that move IMO. I think our edge forwards have been decent overall the past couple seasons, but papa has been on a whole new level. Scoring tries and creating opportunities. His defense has been excellent too.

maybe matto when fit could be our ‘utility’. Go with three forwards and matto on the bench. He could fill in, in the forwards, 5/8 and centre if need be. Will smith showed last night how easily he could f^*k things up given an opportunity. And still not convinced on Bryce

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don’t agree. We failed to focus for the full 80, in previous years. We’d let teams back into games when we had a decent lead, or in close games we’d piss our pants and roll over. Allowing the opposition to score plenty of points.
It hasn't been an issue for the last 3 seasons. Was surprised by some of the commentary in the lead up to the Raiders game suggesting it is still an issue. I put it down to our loss last week against a spirited Dragons side. Their forward pack really surprised me in that game.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Anyways, if matto is fit next week, does papa move into the middle? We’d be weakened by that move IMO. I think our edge forwards have been decent overall the past couple seasons, but papa has been on a whole new level. Scoring tries and creating opportunities. His defense has been excellent too.
I'd like to keep Papal'i'i'i' on the edge. Based on form I'm not convinced a fit Matterson should be an automatic starter.

yy_cheng

Coach

maybe matto when fit could be our ‘utility’. Go with three forwards and matto on the bench. He could fill in, in the forwards, 5/8 and centre if need be. Will smith showed last night how easily he could f^*k things up given an opportunity. And still not convinced on Bryce
I think ba would put Papa back on the bench. And play him up the middle. Emu and carty won't play big minutes.

Though he should put matto on the bench and let him ease back in but really to push his asking price down

IFR33K

Coach
I'd like to keep Papal'i'i'i' on the edge. Based on form I'm not convinced a fit Matterson should be an automatic starter.

Agree. Papa has outplayed both our edge forwards this season (including matto from last season) and he’s meant to be a middle. IMO you need ruthless edge forwards capable of breaking tackles and creating opportunities. We’ve lacked in that department with lane and matto.

IFR33K

Coach
I also like the fact will smith’s involvement was limited. Apart from the stupid kicks, I don’t recall him out there. And he played 80 minutes.