What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading the Tea Leaves- WT Recruitment

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I’ve been trying to figure out the inscrutable tactics of WT management and make sense of their recruitment.

Recruited- Gareth Ellis (2nd row), Josh Lewis (half or 5/8), Ryan Carr (hooker), Liam Roach (prop), Jaylan Connelly (centre?).

Promoted to NRL squad from lower grades- Lazarus (fullback), Ayshford (centre), Dunley (half or 5/8), Tagive (wing), Laurie (prop / 2nd row), Tim Moltzen (fullback, half or 5/8).

Now, it would seem they have finally reacted to the failure of Morris at half and recruited a motza of players capable of filling that role, similarly 5/8 has good coverage if Marshall has another injury. Props seem threadbare with little coverage for injury and despite Longmuir in his newsletter of 21 October 2008 saying WT were seeking a prop for the 25th spot in the squad, they are no closer to signing such a player. I suspect with such little time left before the start of the 2009 season trials and the need to cement in players to train- maybe that is that and Liam Roach will be named the 25th player for the main squad. Ryan Carr would seem to have been recruited as an understudy for Farah at hooker, since WT let Flanagan go to Raiders, they had no obvious replacement.

So, as to coverage of positions:

Fullback- unknown quality but raw talent. I’m sure we will miss Gallant.
Wing- good
Centre- good
5/8- good- but raw backup players
Half- good- but raw backup players
Lock- good
2nd Row- good
Prop- threadbare
Hooker- good- but raw backup player.

Captain- I’d say Heighington with Farah as vice captain. (I’m against giving Farah or Marshall captaincy as we need them to concentrate on their own game).

Club Captain- Todd Payten

I still reckon WT should not rush to re-sign Farah and Marshall- let their fitness be shown on the field and then commit. If they want an earlier deal- let them test the field- we already know Farah is. They will take up a sizable chunk of our salary cap and for that we need commitment and ability to stay on the field. Of the two, I’d say Farah is the more important.

Still cant figure out the final 17 for the first few rounds but I'm toying with blooding the new buys, putting Tuiaki on the bench and leaving the "also rans" we currently have out of the equation.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
im almost certain that 25th player will be john skandalis

Oh, how I'd love that to be true- but I suspect his knee is gone. But maybe they can sign him up for match payments and he can be an emergency reserve but not the 25th squad member.....................

westie

Bench
How sad is our current situation. At the end of '05, Skando leaving was an obvious and practical thing to do. He was past his best and we should have gone to a new level as per the coaching staff's plans.

Now a few years later we actually want him back.

How sad is our current situation. At the end of '05, Skando leaving was an obvious and practical thing to do. He was past his best and we should have gone to a new level as per the coaching staff's plans.

Now a few years later we actually want him back.

How old was Skandalis when we let him go? 29? And we replaced with him with Ryan O Hara who while unlucky with injury played less games that Benji in the 3 years we was with us. I would rather we kept Skando those three years.

I say give him a shot. He'll have more impact off the bench that Bronson Harrison had last year, or Corey Payne. He can't be that out of shape if he was playing last year...

SCOB

Juniors
How old was Skandalis when we let him go? 29? And we replaced with him with Ryan O Hara who while unlucky with injury played less games that Benji in the 3 years we was with us. I would rather we kept Skando those three years.

I say give him a shot. He'll have more impact off the bench that Bronson Harrison had last year, or Corey Payne. He can't be that out of shape if he was playing last year...

good point,

I have read alot of bagging of skando saying that his last year with us was sh*t. but I reckon they all did squat in 06 not just Skando,
If he can give 15 min in each half, while big red has a blow, he could be good for a season.

super_coach

First Grade
Skando's days in the sun are long over. Yes we are desperate for a couple of quality front rowers, but Skando isnt the answer. He would be best used coaching the likes of Davidson, Roach and the likes.

innsaneink

Referee
Hope its BS...Im pretty sure it is, you dont have an 11 year career in sydney, 2 years in the old dart then come back to NRL, thats like doin primary- high school - working for 20 years then going to uni - its ...
backup-out-of-order-sign.jpg

SCOB

Juniors
Hope its BS...Im pretty sure it is, you dont have an 11 year career in sydney, 2 years in the old dart then come back to NRL, thats like doin primary- high school - working for 20 years then going to uni - its ...
backup-out-of-order-sign.jpg

Maybe your right, but who was that prop who had retired for a couple of years then Newcastle found him playing park footy and brought him back for a season or two. Can't think of his name but i remember that he had an impact.

How old was he?

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Craig Smith you're thinking of? Then there's Danny Nutley who's done it twice I think, both those guys were decent when they came back.

On the other hand, Chris Beattie tried to come back to the NRL and wasn't up to it. Couldn't expect much if Skando did come back.

SCOB

Juniors
Craig Smith you're thinking of? Then there's Danny Nutley who's done it twice I think, both those guys were decent when they came back.

On the other hand, Chris Beattie tried to come back to the NRL and wasn't up to it. Couldn't expect much if Skando did come back.

Craig Smith, thats it!! thanks Tiger Hawk. Yeah he was a handy score at value rates. Whats the harm with the Skando try out who else is out there that we are honestly going to get anyway? I know thw answer no one.

I saw Skando on Fox a couple times didn't look that bad. we are only talking 20 - 30 min max a game. i don't think that he will score tries or set them up, but I expect he will trundle the ball forward over the advantage line, and be solid in defence, and all at discount rates.

Give it a twirl. We aint got nothin to lose.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Gallant- not given a slot in the 25 man NRL squad and I recall reading somewhere he was looking for opportunities elsewhere after failing to gain a WT NRL squad slot for 2009. I believe he is still with Magpies but will not swear to that.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
Well....I along with everyone else saw him (Skando) on NRL Summertime training with the boys.
If in fact he does pull on the boots once more I wish him well....but personally it will seem like a last resort, no one else so have a run, John

macnaz

Staff member
Gallant- not given a slot in the 25 man NRL squad and I recall reading somewhere he was looking for opportunities elsewhere after failing to gain a WT NRL squad slot for 2009. I believe he is still with Magpies but will not swear to that.
WTF far out!! :x These merkins have f**king rocks in their heads. That guy should have been in the first 13 picked,Instead lets go with that pathetic dumbarse junior burger, FFS here we come wooden spoon:?

But in saying that cant they still call him up during the year ??

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
WTF far out!! :x These merkins have f**king rocks in their heads. That guy should have been in the first 13 picked,Instead lets go with that pathetic dumbarse junior burger, FFS here we come wooden spoon:?

But in saying that cant they still call him up during the year ??

Yeah, but I suppose it depends if he has stayed with Magpies in 09 or goes elsewhere for the opportunity. I just wish I could find the article- I;'ve tried goggling for it without success- all I can recall is that he was very disappointed and examining his options.

I'd certainly prefer Galland to McDonnell but we all know who has got a contract extension.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Gallant has been training with the first grade squad since they came back from their end of season break. Just because he's on a Magpies contract doesn't mean he isn't training with the team or not in the frame for selection. He's very much in the running to play Fullback.

macnaz

Staff member
Gallant has been training with the first grade squad since they came back from their end of season break. Just because he's on a Magpies contract doesn't mean he isn't training with the team or not in the frame for selection. He's very much in the running to play Fullback.
I hope so Nick, i honestly belive mighty mouse would be a sensation in FG . The guys small, but no smaller that hodgson in weight and he has just as much ticker. He is fast and nimble and knows where how to run at holes. Him and Benji could form an exiting combination. It just frustrates the crap out of me how the selectors seem to be on a totaly differant wave length when it comes to veiwing players abilities .:?

Magpies Forever

Juniors

Thanks - thats good news.