What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recording Digital/HD telecasts

forward pass

Coach
I have an LCD Widescreen TV with an inbuilt tuner and want to know what sort of Video recorder or HDD recorder I need to record programs in widescreen.

Obviously a normal video won't do it so do I have to have a recorder with a hard drive??

I have seen some HD recorders with HDMI option - is that what I need? I am guessing I need a recorder that has an inbuilt digital tuner ... i think?

Any help would be appreciated !

C.P

Juniors
Your tv needs to have an HDMI input (which im pretty sure they all have now) then a HDD recorder can record in widescreen.
If your LCD is 12 months old or more it probably wont have an HDMI input so you'll only be able to record shows in half the resolution of your tv. Eg 1024 pixels will record in 512. Still passable but a tv with HDMI input will give you the full monty.
You dont need a HDD with inbuilt tuner. As long as your tv is outputting a HD signal (eg because you have an inbuilt tuner) you just need a HDD recorder.
A good option is a HDD/DVD recorder. You can record in either mode and it also doubles as a dvd player. $400 will get you there, only difference in higher prices will be how much HDD storage it will have

forward pass

Coach
Thanks CP.

Yes - I do have HDMI input on my TV so that is great advice. That makes a lot of sense - even to me !

Thanks Again.

And yes - I was talking FTA only not Foxtel !

Latest posts