What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment, or lack thereof - a pearler from mystical Mick

Iafeta

Referee
The Warriors were never in a position to compete with the massive contract Wigan gave giant prop iafeta Paleaasina, rumoured to be more than $500,000 a season. But don't expect the club to try and replace Paleaasina on the open market.
"It doesn't work that way - people don't understand that," chief executive Mick Watson tells RLW.
"You don't just go out and spend cash for the sake of spending cash. It has got to enhance your team."
"You have the likes of Epalahame Lauaki, Sam Rapira, Sonny Fai, Frank Paul, Godfrey Robinson and Marvin Filipo, so we have a production line coming through again."
"I think (Warriors development officer) John Ackland will wave that wand and there will be another one out there hopefully."
Ackland was, after all, the man who came across a young Sonny Bill Williams a few seasons back.

Courtesy of Rugby Laegue Week.

Beautiful. It has to be a good player to replace Iafeta Paleaaesina and to be frank there are obviously none available. I mean heck, that scrub Steve Simpson is no good, neither is Ashley Harrison, or Braith Anasta, or Matt Orford, Steve Bell's hopeless, Ben Ross is a nuff nuff.

So let me get this straight:-

We're losing

* Stacey Jones, #1 on the payroll, our halfback of 11 years
* Awen Guttenbeil - must have been on a decent enough wicket, maybe $150,000, former Kiwis rep
* HOPEFULLY Monty Betham who should PAY to play for the Warriors
* Iafeta Paleaaesina - must have been on say $150,000

And we're gaining old cousin Jack's brother who's playing for the thirds down at Opunaki, but gee whiz boys, in ten years time he'll be going good for a bench spot in the reggies.

Right on Mick, say Mick, I know a couple of companies I used to work for who could use an accountant like you :lol:

ozbash

Referee
doesnt do a lot to inspire confidence in our management.

although,,,,,

i do like the bit about john ackland and the mysterious dev squad developing Epalahame Lauaki, Sam Rapira, Sonny Fai, Frank Paul, Godfrey Robinson and Marvin Filipo.

long overdue i say but when do they get a game ?
is ackland the right man for the job?
is there really a dev squad ?
graham lowe should be in charge of the warriors or,,,, waiting, waiting.....

john hart !

carlnz

Bench
Sam Rapira and Sonny Fai are both out standing prospects...

Ok so they lose Paleaasina, im still trying to figure out why the let a good young prop - Kane Ferris - go after only 7-9mins againts the Roosters in 2004??

Iafeta

Referee
Ahh yes, quite right. And really, we also offloaded PJ Marsh and Thomas Leulaui post the spending spree. So either:-

A: They were contemplating the prospect of going into 2005 with a salary cap rort prospect so HAD to offload Marsh/Leuluai/Anderson pre 2005
B: We again played well under the cap, and that'll only get worse, and a hell of a lot worse at that in 2006

Carlnz, I hear Kane Ferris didn't want to play any rep footy this year, and hence I understand isn't turning out for the Canterbury Bulls either, just playing park footy in Christchurch.

carlnz

Bench
yeah i was told that after he got dropped from the Warriors he decidied to give the game away for a year, but i now see him playing in the local Canterbury Comp.

I hope he gets up gets a contract else where and prove the Warriors wrong..

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Wow, we havnt bought anyone since PJ, Leuluai, Vanderson, Guttenbeil, Jones and Paleaasina have been off loaded

Something major is being planned OR something major is stuffed up with the management and finances

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
we NEED to purchase, going on atm, our top 25 squad looks week as

1 Webby
2 Vatuvei
3 Toopi
4 Byrne
5 Meli
6 Ropo
7 Fein
8 Wiki
9 Hohaia
10 Price
11 Koopu
12 Anderson
13 Betham(rumoured to leave)

14 Faumuina
15 Villasanti
16 Lauaki
17 Mannering

18 TeMata
19 Tuimavavue (been told to look elsewhere)
20 Toshio (yet to make 1st grade debut)
21 Baxter (yet to make 1st grade debut)
22 Misi (yet to make 1st grade debut)
23-25?????

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Grahame Lowe should stay as far away from the Warriors as heaven is wide after what he did to them last time.

Iafeta said:
Courtesy of Rugby Laegue Week.

Beautiful. It has to be a good player to replace Iafeta Paleaaesina and to be frank there are obviously none available. I mean heck, that scrub Steve Simpson is no good, neither is Ashley Harrison, or Braith Anasta, or Matt Orford, Steve Bell's hopeless, Ben Ross is a nuff nuff.

So let me get this straight:-

We're losing

* Stacey Jones, #1 on the payroll, our halfback of 11 years
* Awen Guttenbeil - must have been on a decent enough wicket, maybe $150,000, former Kiwis rep
* HOPEFULLY Monty Betham who should PAY to play for the Warriors
* Iafeta Paleaaesina - must have been on say $150,000

And we're gaining old cousin Jack's brother who's playing for the thirds down at Opunaki, but gee whiz boys, in ten years time he'll be going good for a bench spot in the reggies.

Right on Mick, say Mick, I know a couple of companies I used to work for who could use an accountant like you :lol:

1 word

BROKE

Iafeta

Referee
Bulldog Power said:
price and wiki are on big money

No doubt, but that doesn't hide the inability of management.

Price & Wiki will be on the same cash in 2006 as they are in 2005. Koopu has got an increase, Ropati I believe has. Vatuvei probably came at the same price as Vinnie Anderson.

However, what about Jones' departure for 2006? Guttenbeil's? Paleaaesina's? And potentially a couple of others.

Where does the money saved there go?

I think this club is seriously financially struggling.

carlnz

Bench
Is it true that if the Warriors dont get like 12,000 to every game then they make a loss?? Gee they really only just statred promoting games on tv so no wonder people wont turn up!

Iafeta

Referee
carlnz said:
Is it true that if the Warriors dont get like 12,000 to every game then they make a loss?? Gee they really only just statred promoting games on tv so no wonder people wont turn up!

And seem not to give a rats about anyone south of the Bombays.

I noticed such a lack of hype south of Auckland about the Warriors, and still next to none in Auckland about them either.

Guess thats what you get when you won't talk to anyone like the case was in 2004.

ozbash

Referee
Graham Lowe f**ked up big time with the Warriors. I can't forgive him for that, I won't.

you just have to nzwazza, you have to find it in your heart to forgive and only then will you move forward and grow.
*sigh*

And seem not to give a rats about anyone south of the Bombays.

aint that the truth, if it was for peter leitch us poor folks in te puke would wonder who these warrior guys are.
mick watson is the epitome of arrogance, he believes he can do as he wants and is answerable to nobody.
trouble is, the other staff at the warriors are adopting watsons attitude.