What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment vs Development; the future of the Dragons

possm

Coach
Right now for good reason, we are putting a lot of faith in our young gun wingers. We do need to recruit a top grade prop and edge forward. Yes we have some youngsters coming through but they should be considered our depth until they are ready; maybe 2022-23.

There would have to be some dramatic improvement in our forward pack during the off-season for them to be competitive in 2021.

redv13

Bench
Add to JAC- Flanagan, Cotric, Green.
They are making some very good signings.

I'm worried about the Dragons roster.
Its very weak.
Its all good to say that the coaches will get the young blokes playing to a level but you need some experienced top line players in your 17.

We need to sign some forwards.
Lawrie, Blacker, Ford, Ellis.
These guys are depth players and should be pushing the starting guys for a position, not BE the starting forwards.

Same with Pereria, Ravalawa, Williame, these guys are reserve graders.
If any of them get selected we are in trouble.
I agree that our roster is not looking overly flash but what would be the point in spending 500/600k on a winger??
We both agree that we need forwards without a doubt

Maddragon99

Juniors
We’re not comparing JAC to Norman or any other forward. He’s a winger, we have plenty of young talent coming through out wide and hopefully they are managed well under Griffin and his staff. Let’s not compare apples to oranges to lemons. We need forwards, not outside backs. Give me props and 2nd rowers with talent and mongrel

Im a Actuary so I’m always comparing productivity to dollars spent. Analytics.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Bulldogs buying up big is nothing new.They have done so for many years.Keeps their supporter base happy and interested.
DRAGONS unfortunately not so.Nothing has changed with us over the years.We are always hoping for the big signings that unfortunately rarely come.As they say we must look after our junior base.Clubs like Roosters and Bulldogs love to go after them.Same goes year in year out.
Good luck Dragons in 2021.

Crush

Coach
I agree that our roster is not looking overly flash but what would be the point in spending 500/600k on a winger??
We both agree that we need forwards without a doubt
I think we need a winger as well as forwards.
And why shouldn't we have a JAC type player in our backline?
Our whole backline is made up of rookies or players that wouldn't be on big money. I actually think we desperately need a JAC type player in that backline.
Ramsay is exciting but still extremely green.
Lomax also still learning. Fegai rookie. Williame reserve grader.

Why can't we spend 500-600K on the best winger in the comp?
Let's face it, Bulldogs are killing us in the recruitment department.

possm

Coach
Our whole backline is made up of rookies or players that wouldn't be on big money. I actually think we desperately need a JAC type player in that backline.

Wait until we face the Dogs on the field and then you can make judgement. I feel that there are only 3 problem players in our backline; Dufty, Norman and Hunt. I feel the new coaching staff will sort out at least one of these players dusing the off-season (most probably Hunt) which could result in the the following backline taking the field after 4 rounds:
Ramsey
Matt Feagai / Schiller
Lomax
Max Feagai
Ravalawa
Sullivan
Hunt

Dufty signs with an ESL club.
Norman signs with another NRL club.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
If JAC was a prop or 2nd rower then I’d be upset but he’s a winger. A good winger but not what we need. No loss to be honest
Not my point...my point is...he is a superstar in his position..we need props and second rowers? Do you think we’ll go out and sign a superstar in that position, or take another team’s reserve grade player?

Crush

Coach
Wait until we face the Dogs on the field and then you can make judgement. I feel that there are only 3 problem players in our backline; Dufty, Norman and Hunt. I feel the new coaching staff will sort out at least one of these players dusing the off-season (most probably Hunt) which could result in the the following backline taking the field after 4 rounds:
Ramsey
Matt Feagai / Schiller
Lomax
Max Feagai
Ravalawa
Sullivan
Hunt

Dufty signs with an ESL club.
Norman signs with another NRL club.
Have you seen the other clubs backlines?

Now I'm not saying that in the future players like Fegai, Sullivan, Schiller etc won't be good footballers but if you run that 1-7 out there is a good possibility that we will get lapped week in week out.

redv13

Bench
Not my point...my point is...he is a superstar in his position..we need props and second rowers? Do you think we’ll go out and sign a superstar in that position, or take another team’s reserve grade player?
A superstar in a shit hot Melbourne storm system. Going to the bulldogs is a couple of steps down. I’ll reserve judgment and see how he goes at Belmore without the other dozen super dooper players surrounding him like the last 4 years down south

Dragon David

First Grade
I feel sure that with Barrett as the attacking coach at the Dogs, they will be scoring a lot more tries than what they have done in the past few seasons. With the tries they score, conversions from Kyle Flanagan will have him near the top of the point scoring in the NRL and I am sure that they will be playing very attractive football in the next few years.

We on the other hand are hoping that our coaches will have the team playing good footie but will it be good enough to win games and will they be attractive?

Over the the past decades, the Bulldogs have given us tough games and they love to beat us. I am thinking that come rounds 9 and 14 in next years comp when we play the Bulldogs, we will see how both clubs are faring and I feel that the Dogs will be ahead of us on the table. I'll be fearing these games.

In 2020 they beat us convincingly 22-2 in the first game and we were very lucky to beat them in the return game. Their signings for next year will improve them and with JAC going there in 2022, they will be even stronger.

I know that our recruitment staff with Griffin are looking for forwards who will add more strength to our pack and are wanting to give it their all for the Dragons, but where will they come from and are there any wanting to come to play for us? I am not sure if there are any suitable at the moment.

At this stage I am envious of what Barrett has done already for the Bulldogs.

Como Connection

First Grade
I feel sure that with Barrett as the attacking coach at the Dogs, they will be scoring a lot more tries than what they have done in the past few seasons. With the tries they score, conversions from Kyle Flanagan will have him near the top of the point scoring in the NRL and I am sure that they will be playing very attractive football in the next few years.

We on the other hand are hoping that our coaches will have the team playing good footie but will it be good enough to win games and will they be attractive?

Over the the past decades, the Bulldogs have given us tough games and they love to beat us. I am thinking that come rounds 9 and 14 in next years comp when we play the Bulldogs, we will see how both clubs are faring and I feel that the Dogs will be ahead of us on the table. I'll be fearing these games.

In 2020 they beat us convincingly 22-2 in the first game and we were very lucky to beat them in the return game. Their signings for next year will improve them and with JAC going there in 2022, they will be even stronger.

I know that our recruitment staff with Griffin are looking for forwards who will add more strength to our pack and are wanting to give it their all for the Dragons, but where will they come from and are there any wanting to come to play for us? I am not sure if there are any suitable at the moment.

David
"Never live in a world of fear".
Stuff the Dogs!
CC

getsmarty

Immortal

More than likely more than that with 3rd party.

BLM01

First Grade

What about defence. Did you not watch Manly in his last year or 2.

Dragon David

First Grade
What about defence. Did you not watch Manly in his last year or 2.
Defence is the key and I know that Barrett fell short in this department when he coached Manly. They thrashed us in the only game in 2016 but we thrashed them in the 2 games in 2017 and 1 game in 2018

So, the games between us and the Bulldogs will be determined by who has better defence - hopefully we would be much improved to limit the Dogs scoring and we score more against their defence.

goldiesaintz

Juniors

The Doggies are always boom or bust.
Of late, they've spent more time being busted and or inhouse fighting.

I'm ok with our more steady approach.
I like the foundation we've invested in. ( Hook, Gentle & Elliot )
We can expect a much improved team next season simply because of the change in coaching personnel.
Trent Barrett is going to be under immense pressure to perform next season and we all know that it takes a lot longer than 12 month shape a team.

Yes, it would be nice to add to our roster for next season but getting the existing players to play to their expect level will be like buying half a team, without the added cost.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Roosters letting go of Flannagan after a year is saying something. If he was that good surely they would have kept him. Plus he did lose his spot to Lam. Burton will be a good buy but played in a good Panthers side on debut. Interesting to see how he goes at the dogs. I would rather Hunt and Norman at this stage and in 2022, Sullivan will hopefully be the Dragons fulltime half.

Cotric is a great buy, again interested to see how he goes in a weaker team.

2mil for JAC over 4 Years is a bargain. 500k a season for 1 of the best wingers in the comp? Morris was paid more to join the Dogs from memory hence why he left. This sounds like a huge 3rd party deal tapped in. Plus interested to see if he will be playing fullback which he is not proven