What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reddy for the NRL

The Colonel

Immortal
Reddy for the NRL

Joel Reddy will be used as a utility back in 2007 with the talented, young Eel training at centre and wing, as well as his favoured fullback position, as he seeks to cement a place in first grade.

Reddy has been knocking on the door of establishing himself in the NRL and has impressed in the four NRL games he has played for Parramatta. However, with Luke Burt and Wade McKinnon contesting for the fullback jersey over the last couple of years, Reddy has been unable to hold his spot in the top grade despite a number of fine performances.

With Wade McKinnon leaving the club, Parramatta has less depth in the number one position this year, but with Jarryd Hayne making it clear that custodian is his preferred position, Reddy is set to give himself every chance of breaking through at the top level by familiarising himself with the centre position and also wing.

"I'm not really going to stick to fullback this year, I'm going to see if I can try and get myself in anywhere," Reddy told 1Eyed Eel.

"It doesn't worry me where I play so much this year, Michael Hagan has told me that I can try myself in the centres and even on the wing, as well as fullback so it's just a matter of trying to break through anywhere really".

He has trained at both centre and wing during the pre-season and has played both positions at Premier League level. Centre would appear Reddy's best chance of a breakthrough outside of fullback, as the Eels don't have a lot of depth at three or four, following the departures of Brett Delaney and Luke O'Dwyer to the Titans.

"I'm looking to familiarse myself with those positions, so that if I have to step up into any of those positions I'll be ready," he said.

Reddy said he'd like to improve his consistency this year, but he believes he has the game to make it as a regular first grader.

"I definitely felt up it and I actually enjoyed it a lot more, because while it's quicker, with the quality of players you've got around you, sometimes I even found it a bit easier [than Premier League]," he said.

"So I'm definitely hoping to get up there again this year, and hopefully stay up there, because that's what I play for, to play first grade".

Reddy has been one of the Eel's best in Premier League for the past two seasons, and his great form was certainly a major contributing factor in those sides going all the way for back-to-back Premierships.

"If you're not playing first grade, the next best thing is to win a Premier League grand final and we did that two years in a row, so that was good, but I'd take a few more first grade games, any day."

http://www.filthy_spammers.com/article.php?id=2236

The Colonel

Immortal
Personally, Joel should be playing fullback ahead of Burt this season. Two different players who offer different things but kick return metres are probably more important than ever when we have such an inexperienced front row......

Suitman

Post Whore
So, does that leave Burt out in the cold, as Grothe and Hayne will be the wingers, with Smith and Tahu centres.
Barring injury, I can't see him getting a run.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
I'm with the Suitmiester. He's an unremarkable fill in player at best. If we have a few injuries he might get a run. That is if dynamic young guys like Inu don't step up and take the job ahead of him.

strider

Post Whore
Suitman said:
So, does that leave Burt out in the cold, as Grothe and Hayne will be the wingers, with Smith and Tahu centres.

Suity
huh? - burt is fullback .... reddy is gonna fill in whereever he can

Suitman

Post Whore
Gronk said:
I'm with the Suitmiester. He's an unremarkable fill in player at best. If we have a few injuries he might get a run. That is if dynamic young guys like Inu don't step up and take the job ahead of him.

Hey Gronkyboy,

Do you mean Reddy or Burt, 'cause I reckon they are both unremarkable players?

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:

Suity

Ideally nmy backline would be Reddy, Hayne, Tahu, Smith, Grothe. Burty just isn't capable of huge kick return metres and that was evident in the last few games of the season. I don't think Reddy is unremarkable. He is strong returner of the ball, safe under the high ball and directs the defence very well. He isn't as exciting as Hayne or Inu but with so many exciting players in the backline someone who offers a safety net isn't a bad thing either.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Ideally nmy backline would be Reddy, Hayne, Tahu, Smith, Grothe. Burty just isn't capable of huge kick return metres and that was evident in the last few games of the season.

I agree on Burt, but frankly, I don't think Reddy is much better.
I'd have Hayne back there in a flash, and hide one of the other two on the wing - probably Burt, for his goal kicking.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
Suitman said:
I was replying to Colonel's second post, you nin-com-pook.

Suity
oh - well maybe use of quotes might be appropriate mr suit ..... and thats mr nin-com-poop to you :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
and hide one of the other two on the wing - probably Burt, for his goal kicking.

Suity

Modern day Rugby League is a helter skelter battle field

There is nowhere to hide you clown!!!

strider

Post Whore
i really don't know the solution regarding fullback/wing .....

- we need a consistant goal kicker and Burty is currently the best we have, so it'd be nice to fit him in somewhere
- but burty can be a bit soft in defense and there is nowhere to hide on a footy field these days - wingers can really get exploited these days ... if he can muscle up a bit more in defense then i'd have no problem with him at fullback
- hayne would seem like a good option for fullback - i'd like to see him there a bit sometime early in the season

fish eel

Immortal
hayne will end up at fullback eventually, so I'd just chuck him back there straightaway.

why delay the inevitable?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Reddy had a few goes last year and did alright, but with Burt he went back in the team cause of his goal kicking, but it wasnt just his goal kicking that did well, he played awesome in some of those games. I'd happy to have Burt there, but if his form goes down hill are there any other goal kickers apart from Riddell?

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
oh - well maybe use of quotes might be appropriate mr suit ..... and thats mr nin-com-poop to you :lol:

Sorry........MR Nin-Com-Poop. :lol:

Mr Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
I agree on Burt, but frankly, I don't think Reddy is much better.
I'd have Hayne back there in a flash, and hide one of the other two on the wing - probably Burt, for his goal kicking.

Suity

I'll go out on a limb - Reddy is a first grade fullback at a lot of clubs outside of ours. If not then swap him to the wing for Hayne. Reddy, while not as regular a kicker as Burt at this stage, can kick goals. That is what an off season is all about - putting in the time to improve your value.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
I'll go out on a limb - Reddy is a first grade fullback at a lot of clubs outside of ours. If not then swap him to the wing for Hayne. Reddy, while not as regular a kicker as Burt at this stage, can kick goals. That is what an off season is all about - putting in the time to improve your value.

Very true.
And if a player like Reddy wants to be better, he should have been practicing that all summer. If he wants that edge over Burt, that's one way of doing it.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
Suitman said:
Hey Gronkyboy,

Do you mean Reddy or Burt, 'cause I reckon they are both unremarkable players?

Suity

Well both of them are not in the same league with the rest of the backline. But I guess when it comes down to the Unremarkablilty Stakes: Reddy takes the prize by a short half head over Burt.

IMHO, they should have put Luke out in the back paddock on the 'roids 10 years ago. :-$

Suitman

Post Whore
Gronk said:
Well both of them are not in the same league with the rest of the backline. But I guess when it comes down to the Unremarkablilty Stakes: Reddy takes the prize by a short half head over Burt.

IMHO, they should have put Luke out in the back paddock on the 'roids 10 years ago. :-$

:lol:

That about sums it up!!

Suity