What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redfern Oval

Sharkie73

Bench
I really think you guys should move back to Redfern Oval. My father was a one eyed bunny supporter who used to take to see the rabbits play quite abit. I used to love going to Redfern oval it was a great place to watch the footy and a short stroll across the road for a beer or two. Push hard you supporters and get your team back to where you should be.

2 True Blues

Coach
Well said sharkie73. The Rabbits definately should be back at Redfern Oval. With a successful season or two under their belts now they have recruited some good players I think they will maybe make it back there, but other things like making the eight are taking priorities ( as they should be ) at this point in time.

I also would like to see them back there. It certainly would help club profits coming in from the club across the road. Perfect location.

Bluebag

Juniors
I paid a visit to the leagues club recently and there were about 10 people on machines and another half a dozen sitting around having a drink which is a shame. Going back to Redfern would be ideal but will 12 games a year save the club given this turn out. Meanwhile down at the RSL near the station it was packed to the rafters but they did have entertainment on which helps.

2 True Blues

Coach
I'd say if the games were actually on across the road the crowds would be huge on game days. Build it and they will come !!

Jeffles

Bench
Bluebag said:
I paid a visit to the leagues club recently and there were about 10 people on machines and another half a dozen sitting around having a drink which is a shame. Going back to Redfern would be ideal but will 12 games a year save the club given this turn out. Meanwhile down at the RSL near the station it was packed to the rafters but they did have entertainment on which helps.

Sounds familiar.

Redfern Oval would be a backward step for Souths. Getting a first class training ground built for you that can host junior rep games too located right across the road from your Leagues Club - THAT'S A BLESSING.

You guys should thank Clover Moore!

Bluebag

Juniors
12 days a year will not save the club at least having the training facility may attract some fans to watch on a more regular basis and build better trade.

2 True Blues

Coach
So you reckon having the club across the road on game days would be a bad thing for their club, or a better thing. I'd say it would obviously be a BETTER thing. No one is talking about SAVIN their club 12 days a year, however how can increased trading ( which would occur on game days ) be a bad thing !!!

Jeffles

Bench
Bluebag said:
12 days a year will not save the club at least having the training facility may attract some fans to watch on a more regular basis and build better trade.

That's silly logic. You'd preseume that George's option would also mean the ground would be used for training and junior rep games. The reality is that Clover's option will bring less people to the club. But the point is that 12 days of good trade would never save the club.

Timbo

Staff member
Oh yes. That's smart. Spend $50 million to rebuild the stadium to 20,000 seats (acceptable NRL capacity) when there's a 44,000 seater venue a 10 minute walk away.

Let's just shut down the Prince of Wales and St.Vincents hospitals to pay for it shall we?

Alba

Coach
2 True Blues said:
I'd say if the games were actually on across the road the crowds would be huge on game days. Build it and they will come !!

its already huge on game days .. especially towards the end of the year .. i was actually annoyed that i couldnt get into the audotorium after the roosters game because everyone was packed in like sardines

sixtynine

Juniors
Timbo said:
Oh yes. That's smart. Spend $50 million to rebuild the stadium to 20,000 seats (acceptable NRL capacity) when there's a 44,000 seater venue a 10 minute walk away.

Let's just shut down the Prince of Wales and St.Vincents hospitals to pay for it shall we?

mate this is where souths had so much succsess its souths spiritual home

Jeffles

Bench
Souths were at Moore Park for 39 years (1908-1946) winning 11 premierships.

Souths were at Redfern for forty years (1947-87) winning 9 premierships.

Since 1988 (and beforehand) they've won no premierships.

What does this prove?

1) Souths have more years associated with Moore Park than Redfern. This partly dispells the myth that Redfern is their home. There is a good argument for Moore Park.

2) Their home ground doesn't make a lick of difference. They were successsful and now they aren't.

Timbo

Staff member
Grothe said:
mate this is where souths had so much succsess its souths spiritual home

In a word, WHAT!?

Are you insane?

So a spiritual home, which as jeffles has proved, wasn't so successful, is a reason to outlay 50 MILLION dollars on a stadium just down the road from the best mid-sized footy ground in the country?

In a city where the schools and hospitals are desperately underfunded, that would be the absolute height of stupidity.

Copa

Bench
Timbo said:
In a word, WHAT!?

Are you insane?

So a spiritual home, which as jeffles has proved, wasn't so successful, is a reason to outlay 50 MILLION dollars on a stadium just down the road from the best mid-sized footy ground in the country?

In a city where the schools and hospitals are desperately underfunded, that would be the absolute height of stupidity.

Souths didn't get what they wanted with redfern Oval... council voted against it.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/league-club-loses-ground-battle/2005/11/21/1132421603880.html
A controversial plan to hand Redfern Oval over to the public and block South Sydney Rugby League Club from playing national league games at the ground was narrowly approved by the City of Sydney Council last night.

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Souths are holding on for dear life-no more Redfern, losing money at the footy club, no genuine leagues club(grabbed the Juniors money-AGAIN) and worse still make a public announcement that the Juniors have signed up-well they have saved them for nearly 2 decades now!!

DYING A SLOW,LONG DEATH!

Next year will kill them if they dont get to the 8.
In fact, i think most of the other clubs look better again while Souths have lost their best and captain, and still no halfback !

Relocate or they will die-next year we will be talking how Souths will survive again!

All fans are past it now and Souths are basically history if they don't make a big change to bring them a new/positive market identity-

i think Gosford is their only long-term solution left to them!

King Tigerman

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Souths were at Moore Park for 39 years (1908-1946) winning 11 premierships.

Souths were at Redfern for forty years (1947-87) winning 9 premierships.

Since 1988 (and beforehand) they've won no premierships.

What does this prove?

1) Souths have more years associated with Moore Park than Redfern. This partly dispells the myth that Redfern is their home. There is a good argument for Moore Park.

2) Their home ground doesn't make a lick of difference. They were successsful and now they aren't.

theyr home ground is moore park because thats where theyve been for the past 20 years

Latest posts