What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Broncos could find themselves more advantaged than disadvantaged with the loss of Boyd who will always be the expected fullback when he returns. Kahu and Miranta could have settled into a subtle battle for #1 purely as custodians but the addition of Nikorima is more than just making it a trio.

From what I've seen of him Nikorima isn't easily dismissed and maybe it's Boyd that may find himself just a contender if this young bloke takes advantage of what should be a rugged pack of forwards. Imo no-one should feel secure if they are anti-Brisbane who must be prime candidates for a resurgence

POPEYE

Coach
Just a matter of time before every Nines player will have to produce a 100 metre sprint time better than most forwards can only dream of, Vatuvei is just the beginning, a natural as a Nines forward. Any current blockbuster winger/centre can look forward to an extended career in Rugby League.

Ruben Wiki and more like him would still be running around a few kilos lighter if Nines had of been available at the time of his retirement. Danny Wicks might make the grade if he hasn't lost any of his speed, excuse the pun, but most forwards by name can look forward to being spectators in a few years time

POPEYE

Coach
Some of the coaches being pissed off about not being in on the 'adjustment' to tackle rules when no changes were promised is stiff shit imo. Might mean those privvy had more time to come up with ways of countermanding the new rule but it could also mean that every tackler must attempt to release simultaneously is not that f**king hard to understand

The basis of the 'wrestle' is players pretending to wait for their turn to release so any change to the rule that takes the referee out of the game is fine by me. No good whinging about referees when referees have to direct instead of just adjudicate, like numbering jigsaw pieces and when the puzzle is finished asking 'did I do good'

POPEYE

Coach
During my month on the Sunshine Coast I dabbled just enough in LU to keep this thread on the front page, only a week to go and we won't need to give cocaine dealers 5 stars to keep the forum alive. Interestingly enough the 'Cave' has developed over the past 12 months and it would be great in the future to see any thread that didn't contain a skerrick of relevance to the subject of Rugby League moving forward being deposited there

Future Ferguson Nightclub Antics, Monaghan Doggie Do's, Birdie Busting, Carpark Murders and just about every Telegraph Stenographer Pretend Expert could be relegated to the Cave. The LU front page might turn a little slower admittedly but this season looks as though we mightn't need so much dirt to bring in the harvest

Fmd, even if it meant I had to refrain from bashing SWS and the club that represents it sacrifices should be made to at least try and distinguish LU's main forum from Wilson's and Rottie's garbage bin

POPEYE

Coach
Libraries are great places to get books free of the disappointment of maybe not getting your money's worth, Wilbur Smith is the only author I pay to read. Spare time on a rainy day in Noosa recently had me at the library reading 'Bellamy', having already anticipated what the gist of the book would be I wasn't about to waste any pension money

So, what did I find out other than what everyone with half a f**king brain could guess, not much other than his personal notes and references to people that influenced him along the way. The bloke is a dictator, thriving on discipline and all the factors of life necessary to achieve it . . . great read if you need an imaginary friend to show the way, at least as good as the bible

Which brings me to the point, if Sisa Waqa didn't need more money to pay his outstanding gambling debts he would probably have preferred to stay with Bellamy, a place where many previously troubled, ignored or undervalued players find sanctuary. Let's hope his path to seeing the light doesn't run around in circles like the many roundabouts you'll find in Canberra

AJB1102

First Grade
I enjoy your insights, POPEYE.

Reading oikee's shit though.. Wouldn't be surprised if it gave me a tumor.

POPEYE

Coach
On other forums I was always just Popeye, it's either the fault of a soc not taking enough care filling in the required application or an administrator with a sense of humour that I am now POPEYE

The best way to retain a woman's interest is to keep her guessing, for example bring flowers occasionally and refuse to offer a reason, if she ever completely 'works you out' the ramifications could be disastrous. I employ the same reasoning tinkering around in this forum

Oikee methinks tries to adopt a similar methodology, why so haphazardly is unbeknownst to everyone other than himself. If you enjoy cryptic crosswords there is interest to be found amongst the confusion, whether right or wrong is neither here nor there

POPEYE

Coach
Due mainly to the emergence of Dave Warner, and now the even more impressing Steve Smith, as an antidote to the dreaded Michael Clarke Syndrome my interest in Cricket has been rekindled over the past couple of seasons. Even to the extent of following Ten's BBL which has been loosely, because that's all it can be, compared to the hopeful impact of the Nines

The obvious differences in formats negate any serious debate over comparison but the question that can be asked is how many spectators rocking up to the shortest version of Cricket show the same interest in the other two longer versions. How many embrace the explosive novelty but dismiss what they see as tedium

Just as one day the Nines may cater to players that can either do without the Premiership or prove a stepping stone/discovery vehicle so might it attract viewers that can take or leave the 'accepted' form of League. Not that it matters if a whole new group of spectators that become learned advocates of just the Nines is established, the more people that Rugby League in any form attracts the better

The only danger the Nines represent to the game as a whole is if the NRL let the simplistic version outpace the old in which confusion is rife. League's biggest enemy in the fast and furious new world of social media is that like so many things guarding against decrepitude is paramount

POPEYE

Coach
Big f**king deal if Bennett has more input into the running of the game than he should, not to the extent it's 2006 again and gf referees will be looking over their shoulder but the greatest coach of all time deserves to have influence. Only danger is the union of he and Greenberg could lead to a disease affecting the game movies might be made about

I consider Hook good enough to have continued with the Broncos, especially with the roster now allocated to Benny but the new coach brings back more than just coaching the players so no wonder Brisbane's preoccupation with the bloke. Imo Benny should have been encouraged to retire from coaching and offered the job now occupied by Greenberg, far better the devil you know than the one you don't

With any luck Benny's ideas of what is best for the Broncos will clash with Todd's needs for the Dogs, already one is advocating 'no wrestle' and the other has forwards who depend on it and they don't agree on what it takes to win a Dally M. The coaches who only have 'coaching' to rely on may well have a point, what are the odds on a Bronco/Dogs gf

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
A bloke like Bennett should have an influence on the game, just not while he's on any Club's books. Blatant conflict of interest. Its as dumb as Saints letting him pick his replacement.

POPEYE

Coach
That's more like it, good news stories are popping up concerning players that regard the Nines as a kind of salvation, albeit fleetingly, nevertheless a genuine chance otherwise unavailable to prove a point. We may have lost a couple of young lives to depression recently, who's to know how many more might be saved by even a slight chance to impress.

Nathan Ross's thinking mightn't be unstable but he is one that has been at loose ends at Newcastle, biting at the bit for a 15 minute shot at glory. These are the blokes we want the Nines to send to bed happy in the knowledge they did all they could to interest people that matter in the game.

Like Armco on a bad bend in the road if the Nines protect just one youngster from depression let alone create any new champions from hidden reserves the project will be worthwhile. Every naysayer can get f**ked for mine, I don't care if Johnson pulls a rabbit out of a hat or falls in a burrow. I will be on the edge of a chair wishing every unheard of player has a blinder

POPEYE

Coach
Seeing the picture of Mateo parading in his Manly jersey somehow brought back memories of Cliffy Lyons being poached in the dark old days, can't imagine why, Feleti surely won't have the same impact. The Warriors won't suffer anywhere near as much as poor old Norths did and comparing him to Lyons is probably sacrilege anyway

Maybe if he'd come directly from Parra when the Seagles reportedly first wanted him he may have become 'cultured' enough to show some consistency. The best they can hope for now is bring him off the bench and hope the Manly jersey on a loose canon will confuse the opposition.

Then again the Seagles don't have anyone who can win a game by accident, something the Warriors are trying to eradicate with the addition of players like Hoffman, so Mateo might be made to earn his money this time around. If he does start the season well the interest will be if he can finish it in the same vein

POPEYE

Coach
Who says religion is on the wane, may the footy gods do their utmost to keep safe all League players and make the teeth of new talent sparkle in Auckland. May all the doomsayers lose power just as the tournament begins and pretend it doesn't matter anyway.

POPEYE

Coach
Auckland is the perfect place to hold the Nines, because the Kiwi supporters are so affable and good spirited so increases the tournament's chances of perpetuation. The outback dunny paper or Telegraph as Sydneysiders know it struggled to find fault, a pectoral muscle was damaged amongst a few bumps and bruises but doesn't qualify any more than shit happens

Seemed the vast majority of players took the occasion seriously, great to see some old blokes bring a smile and young blokes arouse attention. There is a myriad of good and hard luck stories to be told but the combination of all reinforces the fact that the Nines should be here to stay

The worst thing that happened yesterday is the realisation by many more people who watched because it was free is that Australian Boxing is just about dead. A disease has arrived by boat that would turn the stomach of devotees of the sport in the last century. It has been superseded by a choreography that even WWE wouldn't attempt

Fitting that it was presented by the footy show, at least the mindless dribble is encapsulated under the one heading. The unadulterated shit dished up by Fox is about to be joined by Ch9's version, the same presenters that control League

POPEYE

Coach
The Sharks did more for the Nines, and themselves, by losing than they could have done by winning because Souths had an off game. Akin to the Charge of The Light Brigade the odds were against them but the crowd cheered every time the Rabbitohs were repelled, there wouldn't have been a player from any club sitting at home that didn't regret they weren't part of it

All the wanker with a face of Mars could come up with this morning is a story about an Aussie NFL ten second wonder, must've been penned before 'his' NRL team became legend in Auckland. The more that ugly f**king kisser glows the better

Souths were too good because Maguire has as big a point to prove as Flanagan does and his troops were better armed with an impeccable Reynolds, the bloke wankers love to malign. Fmd, it was a weekend of statements all round, soured by a couple of inevitable injuries maybe but it won't be long before every team prepares properly for the Nines as did the Roosters, probably the cagiest of all attempts

POPEYE

Coach
Cartwright joining the Cowboys as assistant coach, if that's not irony may the handicappers come to their senses and we see Serena carry Slater to a Melbourne Cup win. Doesn't matter if Carty is too soft in Townsville, the little Green leprechaun can crack the whip.

All that's needed now is to concentrate on player conditioning and injury management, if the Cowboys' players don't suffer from Holiday Mode Syndrome like that running rampant on the GC they will benefit from Carty's footy brain . . . image if he teaches Taumalolo to use the ball the way Beetson did

Imo the key to Cowboy success is not having Thurston corralled, opposition teams need to worry about a ball distributing forward, something if nothing else Cartwright was unparalleled at in his playing days. Anyway, all that is beside the point, you couldn't find a better bloke and he deserves to be in the forefront of the game

POPEYE

Coach
Not sure what the fuss is about although I suppose replacing Sutton with Inglis as captain is not bad news so at least it's a small mercy. I can think of a few reasons Maguire has made the move, I won't be paying a newspaper to seek out the negatives they thrive on. It's a shame the media aren't smart enough to know League supporters are smart enough to think for themselves

Since the new pinnacle is now winning two lotteries in a row I imagine Madge is attempting to present something different for '15, anything will do to make the opposition think they're facing something new. The Roosters for instance tried to win a second time with the same ol' same ol', could have at least thrown in RTS as fullback to confuse the issue

Inglis has also undergone a metamorphosis from a great player to the face of League, even learning words with multiple syllables and now trying to convey them, how f**king dumb would it be to not have him as captain, like trying to sell a hard cover without a fancy jacket

Then comes the rocket science, the media think we don't understand what the permutations could be when Souths re-signed Keary, a job made more difficult when Luke reads Sutton is still captain. Both halves now know it's full steam ahead on their journey to become one club players, just as Sutton is relishing in his standing

Last but not least, everyone including the man himself is content that he has become a super sub, still more than just useful as a surprise weapon when games are turning pear shaped, the team is not without a captain when GI is in between performances

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
The problem with the Titans has been they tried to win consistently with Tatas when you need Toyotas, players like Sezer, Zillman, Roberts, Kelly, Prince, etc, etc spent far too much time in the workshop for repairs. Easy to blame Cartwright because he probably should have stopped the rot and poached someone like DCE to begin with

DCE will probably have a miraculous way found for him to stay with Manly, the club that rightfully deserves his services anyway, no matter what the cost. The Titans however realise they need more than just a great player that can play the minutes he is paid for, they need a symbol, someone to attract other stayers

Henry is more like Bellamy than Cartwright, he won't/can't persevere with prima donnas in a satellite club when players run home to mummy every time they break a nail. If injury management is a problem it has to be fixed before players like DCE arrive. People are screaming for another club in Qld to equal the Broncos, better to repair the alternative first