What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Qld's David Fifita is just about secured by the Broncos long term, the young bloke spoke well in the School Boy gf half time interview and the vibes emanating from the young bloke were as powerful as he looks. The talk of him becoming a ball playing Taumalolo mightn't be far off the mark

Still, Benny hasn't convinced everyone he has more than just enthusiasm in the Halves, Milford is erratic and Nikorima is not hard to combat. Imo the Broncos are just one Halves 'discovery', or poach, away from challenging for king of the castle . . . not unlike the Raiders

With the dearth of smart Halves in Australia maybe Benny might find someone in his travels, if England can supply a great #9 why not a smart #7 or #6 . . . Kevin Brown for instance looks like he might make an NRL player

POPEYE

Coach
Couldn't help but like Gallens' answer to being called out when he said "One of us will get knocked out but hopefully something good can come of this for the people of Fiji" . . . Paul is being found to be a better man than most people outside of Cronulla imagined

POPEYE

Coach
Seems it's not what you know but who you know, the draw for '18 is not doing my claim 'The Shield winner is the best' any favours, next year it will be almost as irrelevant as the cup. The Roosters and Storm have to be favourites on the draw alone, both only play 4 games against this year's top teams

You'd think instead of pretending the salary cap is in place to help the bottom dwellers the NRL would give them the easiest draw to 'even up' the comp. The Roosters will be going after the King's deer with M16's and Melbourne won't poach because their table is already loaded with enough home grown goodies . . . Newcastle will be a f**king dartboard

One consolation is that the nucleus of the Qld Origin team will be fresh, another is the Eels who I want to win the cup have been the 3rd best favoured in the draw. If there is a footy god and one of the bottom dwellers survives may the hard yards be an advantage and hopefully the top teams be complacent when the lottery comes around

POPEYE

Coach
Now that Cronk has said he's open to offers let's hope he doesn't renege on leaving Melbourne. I'd rather see him play for the Dogs than demoralise Brodie Croft, the 'new Cronk' is far more valuable to the Storm than the old one . . . Smith is the only player there's no replacement for on the horizon, if never

I'd bet that if Nick thought he could poach Brodie rather than snap up Cooper he'd take the first option. The Roosters will rise to favouritism with Cronk but I can't wait to see how Croft is instructed to play against him

Hopefully while Roosters/Storm are wearing each other out for The Shield the Eels will catch them on a day off for the cup. Pity Cronk is not going to Parra, be nice to have an anyone's guess winner out of Cowboys/Eels/Roosters/Storm . . . if Cronk didn't go to Nick there'd be no clear cut favourite

POPEYE

Coach
Even if Australia was represented in the WC by 2 teams, Qld and NSW, the final would just be a 4th SOO. As it is the Cup will just be a Meninga testimonial

So . . . the interest has to come from who will fill the minor places, the Pacific has become patriotic and England is out of its comfort zone. Most teams will have respectable NRL representation except PNG who is the only country solely dedicated to RL . . . well there are others but none deserve to be taken seriously

Aside from the 'contest' the main interest has to be which players will be 'discovered', who will stand out like dog's balls that already haven't in the NRL. Forget the 'future immortals' and the 'shit-hots', we've seen enough of them for one year, looking for new kids on the NRL block will be far more intriguing

Pedge1971

First Grade
Even if Australia was represented in the WC by 2 teams, Qld and NSW, the final would just be a 4th SOO. As it is the Cup will just be a Meninga testimonial

So . . . the interest has to come from who will fill the minor places, the Pacific has become patriotic and England is out of its comfort zone. Most teams will have respectable NRL representation except PNG who is the only country solely dedicated to RL . . . well there are others but none deserve to be taken seriously

Aside from the 'contest' the main interest has to be which players will be 'discovered', who will stand out like dog's balls that already haven't in the NRL. Forget the 'future immortals' and the 'shit-hots', we've seen enough of them for one year, looking for new kids on the NRL block will be far more intriguing

Sounds like another post saying a lot without saying anything. Purist stuff. Come in spinner..

POPEYE

Coach
Sounds like another post saying a lot without saying anything. Purist stuff. Come in spinner..
Yes, there's not much going on ol' mate aside from stating the obvious. If I didn't keep winding you and AG up enough to lose sleep over me I'd probably fade away during the off-season . . . don't think I don't appreciate the bumps

We all need to thank Cronk, where would we be without him the last couple of weeks. Squeaky Roach is keeping himself in the limelight claiming Pearce is being treated unfairly and I tend to agree. Like you making a fuss over me Cooper is risking making a fool of himself, if he does depose Mitchell and the Roosters produce only mediocre results . . . he'll have even less back-up than you and AG

Methinks all the hype over Cam Smith could be the reason Cronk will go to Easts, purists understand that Cooper was the brains behind Melbourne on the field, Cam merely the fearless leader. Cronk's desire to prove a point could backfire on him and it mightn't be any fault of his, the rest of the Roosters will have to decide if Cronk is to be adored or made scapegoat . . . you too should be wary of backfiring

POPEYE

Coach
Crikey, I voted for Garth to become the new Titans' coach but the bloke is beginning to come across as Hayne's blood brother, let's hope he walks the walk as good as he talks the talk. Maybe it's just me, I have no affinity with the word 'policeman' and Garth recites it like 'god' at Sunday mass

According to the media hype, which is probably a red flag in itself, Brennan is quoted non-stop with wonderful machinations for the Titans. It is the off-season however, maybe he has only whispered when force fed a microphone and the volume has been later manipulated

With luck Garth will progress to the top grade without a hitch, he'll be as good as everyone says he might and he's beginning to believe . . . not sure I'll be as convinced as I once was until I see Hayne playing in the State Cup

Pedge1971

First Grade
Yes, there's not much going on ol' mate aside from stating the obvious. If I didn't keep winding you and AG up enough to lose sleep over me I'd probably fade away during the off-season . . . don't think I don't appreciate the bumps

We all need to thank Cronk, where would we be without him the last couple of weeks. Squeaky Roach is keeping himself in the limelight claiming Pearce is being treated unfairly and I tend to agree. Like you making a fuss over me Cooper is risking making a fool of himself, if he does depose Mitchell and the Roosters produce only mediocre results . . . he'll have even less back-up than you and AG

Methinks all the hype over Cam Smith could be the reason Cronk will go to Easts, purists understand that Cooper was the brains behind Melbourne on the field, Cam merely the fearless leader. Cronk's desire to prove a point could backfire on him and it mightn't be any fault of his, the rest of the Roosters will have to decide if Cronk is to be adored or made scapegoat . . . you too should be wary of backfiring

And another post saying nothin. Thank me for the bump.

T-Boon

Coach
Maybe it's just me, I have no affinity with the word 'policeman' and Garth recites it like 'god' at Sunday mass

According to the media hype, which is probably a red flag in itself, Brennan is quoted non-stop with wonderful machinations for the Titans. It is the off-season however, maybe he has only whispered when force fed a microphone and the volume has been later manipulated

What does this mean?

T-Boon

Coach

I think NZ would beat NSW. Especially if Hayne and Fifita were representing other Islands.

POPEYE

Coach
What is Bellamy supposed to do, Sandor moved to Melbourne and opened a gym, sprouts to anyone that'll listen he wants to become a member of the Band Of Brothers . . . he even takes up jujitsu wrestling classes . . . hope you take note of that T-Boon

Ffs, he looks like a little boy who's been into the lolly jar without permission . . . one for you AG . . . surely 4 years is enough for that, you get less for hit-n-run. 'Peptides' doesn't sound any more threatening than overdosing on jelly beans does it, still, let's hope he doesn't open shop in Melbourne . . . there'd be nothing worse than mixing up brown paper bags

When Earl's main income was playing the game I thought he showed heaps of promise, the vibes aren't with him atm but you never know, we like a good miracle and where better place to grow one than in Melbourne. Sandor has to be at least as enthusiastic as Hayne at a fraction of the cost . . . not that Bellamy would ever let Jarryd through the front door

Bloke

Juniors
What is Bellamy supposed to do, Sandor moved to Melbourne and opened a gym, sprouts to anyone that'll listen he wants to become a member of the Band Of Brothers . . . he even takes up jujitsu wrestling classes . . . hope you take note of that T-Boon

Ffs, he looks like a little boy who's been into the lolly jar without permission . . . one for you AG . . . surely 4 years is enough for that, you get less for hit-n-run. 'Peptides' doesn't sound any more threatening than overdosing on jelly beans does it, still, let's hope he doesn't open shop in Melbourne . . . there'd be nothing worse than mixing up brown paper bags

When Earl's main income was playing the game I thought he showed heaps of promise, the vibes aren't with him atm but you never know, we like a good miracle and where better place to grow one than in Melbourne. Sandor has to be at least as enthusiastic as Hayne at a fraction of the cost . . . not that Bellamy would ever let Jarryd through the front door
If he truly has the hunger and a willingness to learn, then he'll do ok. Good cover for injury and provides pressure on the incumbent wingers; something Tonumapea has struggled to do.

POPEYE

Coach
I'd like to see Pearce go to Newcastle as much as I'd like to see Cronk go to Easts . . . if either goes anywhere that is. It's a shame Mitchell hasn't played most of his career at 5/8, he'd arguably be better at it than Foran was at Manly and probably better than Widdop was at Melbourne. His ad-lib is not what is up to scratch as a #7

So Taylor was never going to go anywhere, now that is the test of a true #7, convince everyone you may do something and do the opposite. DCE/Cronk/Thurston all had CEO's licking their lips only to choke on the saliva. Never mind, Benny is happy to see how Nikorima turns out while most of us reckon he won't turn out

Latest posts