What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reduced Interchanges

oldmancraigy

Coach
NRL to announce interchange changes

A reduction in the number of interchanges in NRL matches is expected to be announced next month, according to NRL head of football Todd Greenberg.

On the same day the governing body released a proposal to scrap the June 30 deadline for players reneging on deals, Greenberg admitted the NRL is also on the verge of making changes to the interchange system.

Teams are currently allowed 10 interchanges per game but after recent talks with sports professor Kevin Norton, Greenberg said that could be reduced to six or eight.

"We're not far away. We're collating our final reports at the moment," Greenberg said on 2UE.

"(Norton is) an expert in his field on the impact, the collisions, across sports and measuring fatigue.

"It's a fascinating piece of work that is a first for our sport in rugby league."

The NRL moved from an unlimited interchange to 12 substitutes in 2001 before lowering the number to 10 in 2008.

But now with the aerobic capacity of players at the highest level it has ever been, there has been a growing push for the smaller, more creative players to be brought back into the game.

Greenberg said the game wanted to keep the balance between entertaining fans and looking after the welfare of the players.

"So we're looking at that at the moment and I'd expect something next month that we can come out and definitively talk about our future for interchange," he said.

The mooted changes to the contract system are currently before the Rugby League Players Association but could be just a temporary solution, with head of strategy Shane Richardson also looking at ways to improve the game.

"There is a much broader piece of work underway under Shane Richardson's leadership here at the NRL at the moment, and that brings into discussion a whole range of things," Greenberg said.

"Whether we look at a draft, a trade window, a whole range of things in relation to our competition structures... that's a much broader piece of work.

"But where we need to make decisions in a more immediate terms, we'll change them. And that's why we've made this change today."

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...terchange-changes/ar-BBkyE8e?ocid=mailsignout

Don't make people click the article!

ash411

Bench
What I don't understand, is why having less interchanges is better?

Does having more tired players on the field for longer make a game more exciting? Surely having rested players coming on to provide impact play makes it easier to keep the pace of the game up, and therefor, more exciting.

Am I wrong? what is the dis-advantage to having higher numbers of interchanges allowed? surely it help prevent injuries, allows teams to rest players so they can perform at peak levels for more of the game.

Imagine a prop playing 60-70 minutes of a game, how slow and lethargic would they be toward the end of the game? or more to the point, we'd see our favourite forwards ultimately less minutes, cause they will need to rest, but won't have enough interchanges to bring them back when they're ready to go.

Maybe I just don't understand why interchanges are evil, can someone explain it to me?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Does having more tired players on the field for longer make a game more exciting? Surely having rested players coming on to provide impact play makes it easier to keep the pace of the game up, and therefor, more exciting.

Am I wrong? what is the dis-advantage to having higher numbers of interchanges allowed? surely it help prevent injuries, allows teams to rest players so they can perform at peak levels for more of the game.

Imagine a prop playing 60-70 minutes of a game, how slow and lethargic would they be toward the end of the game? or more to the point, we'd see our favourite forwards ultimately less minutes, cause they will need to rest, but won't have enough interchanges to bring them back when they're ready to go.

Maybe I just don't understand why interchanges are evil, can someone explain it to me?

Gould wrote a good article about restricting stoppages would have the same affect. Like quicker video refs, quicker scrums etc etc

Kornstar

Coach

It is so the poor little fellas get more of a go.

I don't have an issue with 10.

I think people are also stuck in the past when there was just 4, remember the game was so much better back then when they used to deliberately try and break necks, jaws or just bones in general. Nothing like watching a couple of meat heads who pick a guy up and drive his head into the ground, they were such better days!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Follow LeagueHQ on Twitter
Play Ultimate League
NRL Previews: Round 4
It's been suggested rugby league needs to reduce the number of player replacements /interchanges during the course of a match to increase the fatigue factor in our game.

The main problem is that the game is sometimes taking over 100 minutes to play.
The thought is that by wearing out the bigger man, the skilful little player will prosper, thereby producing a more entertaining product.

Advertisement

It's a reasonable theory, but unless the concept of interchange football is considered along with many other factors in the game, I doubt this one change to our rules will produce the desired effect.

A counter-argument could be that if we increase fatigue levels, we will see more errors. Yes, more errors can produce a higher number of turnovers and therefore greater unpredictability to the play. It can also produce a fairly shoddy product. This needs more thought.

The moment you introduce measures to limit the number of replacements, coaches will immediately introduce other tactics to slow the game, create stoppages, flout the concussion rule to gain free interchanges, or encourage laying down in tackles to cause opposition players to be penalised and put on report. It's no good shaking your head, because that's what coaches do. They are doing it right now.

Basically our aim is to increase the amount of time the ball is in play, increase the extended intensity of the play, and reduce the amount of time it actually takes to play the game.

This last point is significant.

The NRL has been proactive in trying to produce more "ball in play" time during the course of the 80 minutes. The NRL now claims the ball is in play on average for around 55 minutes per game. They suggest this represents an increase of around 1½ minutes per game on the previous year.

However, the main problem is that the game is sometimes taking over 100 minutes to play. The large number of extended delays we have in our game, even while the clock has stopped, is the major reason why much of the fatigue factor has been eliminated.

A huge increase in the number of video referrals, the amount of time the video referee takes to make a decision, deliberate loitering to restarts and the ridiculous amount of time it takes to pack a scrum are all significant delays to the action. I realise we have time-off during many of these periods so it's not reducing actual play time. But extended delays allow players to rest. These athletes only need a couple of minutes of inactivity to bring their heart rates down to an almost fully recovered level. When play restarts, they are fresh and ready to go.

So, let's look for ways to reduce the number of video referrals and the amount of time it takes to make a decision.

My personal view is to limit video referrals to the actual put-down of the ball over the line for a try and in certain cases to determine how a play should be restarted if the ball goes dead in-goal. Let's leave all general play calls to the officials on the field; after all, we now have four of them. If you are worried about policing the obstruction rule and coaches taking licence with their decoy runners, then simply ban the second-man play and remove it from our game. I promise our game won't suffer as a result.

Obviously not everyone will want to go to these extremes, but I certainly think there are opportunities to reduce the number of video referrals and the time taken to reach a decision.

As for scrums?

Back in time, before the Earth cooled and dinosaurs walked the planet, scrums were actually a contest and this was one area of the game where forwards worked their hardest. The two front-rowers would carry the full weight of their hooker as he dangled his arms around their necks and lowered himself into a good position to strike for the ball. The back-rowers would bind the scrum and provide the push and weight against their opponents.

Sometimes each scrum would pack three or four times before the referee was satisfied. In those days, it wasn't uncommon to have as many as 30 scrums a day. That's a lot of pushing and shoving. It was hard work.

Today's scrums are no contest. There's no physical exertion. The players merely bind – the halfback rolls the ball back to the hooker who is now playing in the lock position – and play goes on.

The suggestion we need to keep scrums because it's a good chance to house all the forwards in one area so the back line players can go head-to-head in a show of speed and skill is also somewhat overstated. If you view the line-ups at most scrums these days, there are just as many forwards in the respective back lines as there are in the scrum.

Our biggest problem with scrums is the amount of time it takes to actually pack them. Whenever a scrum is called, this appears to be the signal for the two teams to come together in a hug-fest. They linger in their huddles, trainers produce the drink bottles, the offending team lingers around hoping for an impromptu video review to overturn the decision, and the crowd waits. Honestly, this process can sometimes take up to 90 seconds. Multiply this time wastage by the number of scrums – it's bloody ridiculous.

The integrity of our scrums has gone forever. They are an embarrassment to our code. If scrums are being kept to maintain some emotional link to our traditional past, then perhaps it's time to take a photo for the rugby league museum and move on.

My opinion – remove all scrums from the game. We will save a truckload of time right there. What's your opinion?

The NRL has now commissioned the services of a prominent professor to examine several years of GPS data to assist in the process of reducing time wastage.

Before the professor weaves his magic, most commentators have already formed the opinion that reducing the number of replacements from the current number of 10 down to something like six will be the magic elixir for providing greater entertainment.

I don't think the solution is as simple as this theory would suggest.

Replacements or interchanges are used by coaches for three main reasons. In order of priority:

1. Rotating the bigger players who play in the middle of the field, simply because these are the men doing the most work and they try to keep them as fresh as possible.

2. Coaches may well have a player on the bench who is injected into the game at various stages as a strategic measure.

3. Coverage for injuries. In the olden days, this was the primary use of replacements. To cover for those who sustained an injury and could no longer continue in the contest.

Point No.3 is the big one to consider here. Any change we make to the number of interchanges must always keep in mind the fact we never want to get to a situation where a team is forced to finish the game with less than the full complement of players, and that no player is forced to stay on the field with a serious injury because the number of available replacements has already been exhausted.

If we limit the number of replacements too drastically, we can also see a situation where a player who is injured early in a contest will be left on the field a little longer hoping he will come good, rather than being replaced so as to conserve the number of interchanges available. This of course risks further injury to that player.

So, let's look at what we're trying to do here.

We want more "ball in play" time. We want to reduce the amount of time it takes to actually play the game. We don't want the game dominated by big blokes who can only play 15 minutes at a time before being replaced by a bloke just as big. We want the small skilful players to have their time in the sun. We want to remove the unnecessary and extended delays to the action.

If we believe increasing the fatigue factor will open the game up to more skill and more entertainment, then we need to find a way to produce more high-intensity action; but at the same time we must consider the welfare of the player and allow coaches the opportunity to replace a player who is genuinely injured.

An analysis of the interchange rule is only a small part of the puzzle.

So far as providing changes to produce better entertainment, I think reducing extended delays, reducing video referrals, taking the second-man decoy plays out of the game, and perhaps even removing scrums altogether, are measures more likely to achieve the desired result than simply reducing the number of replacements.

I think I've given you enough to argue about for one day.

Enjoy your footy.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...ke-nrl-more-entertaining-20150328-1m9vhd.html

ash411

Bench
I agree about scrums, they are disgraceful now.

Even when I played in school they were already becoming a joke (in 95-96). We played the Parra knockout and our coach had a brilliant idea to pack our scrums union style (i.e. lock and second row down on one knee, and then drive hard when the ball enters) and we knocked the other teams over and won against the feed more often than not.

Scrums are done, they just need to get rid of them.

Chipmunk

Coach
Getting rid of scrums will speed up the game. If you're not allowed to win a scrum against the feed (like Cowboys did last week) then there is no point having them.

eel01s

Bench
Scrums should stay IMO, but they should only let forwards pack in and they should be completed within 30 seconds or there is a penalty against the side that isn't ready in time.

Oh, and winning against the feed should be allowed.

For a long time, scrums have existed primarily as different form of set piece, where half the players are concentrated in a small area. I have no problem with that, nor would I have any problem if they made them more competitive, but you can imagine the howls of protest over scrum penalties.

You don't necessarily want the fastest possible game, or you get lots of great stuff like dummy half running. Touch footy is fast, but it's f**ked to watch.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah the game in 2001 was too fast. Eels fans loved it because our coach mastered the tactics of the time and we averaged over 30 points a game, but it was a shit brand of footy. Just five straight surrender tackles and defenders continually struggling to get onside for the next play.

It was a much better spectacle the next year when it was slower, even though the rules no longer suited our roster.

strider

Post Whore
Scrums should stay IMO, but they should only let forwards pack in and they should be completed within 30 seconds or there is a penalty against the side that isn't ready in time.

what if neither team packs within 30 secs? - as is the case now .... who do you penalise? maybe the ref can take the ball and go home

the problem is the game in general has become fast and more demanding (in some ways) ... so players are looking for a breather .... in the old days one f**ker would run it up and get tackled by 1 other f**ker and there was no urgent rush to play the ball - things just moved along differently .... but now every coach tries to get every little inch which equates to every f**ker trying to do alot more - and hence want a breather when they get a chance

I don't know what the solution is .... reducing the interchange will just give a coach another opportunity to find a way to get an advantage some way .... it might help - I dunno???

oldmancraigy

Coach

Who cares who packs in? But yeah, put a deadline on how long a team has to be 'ready' for the scrum feed. I think once one team is formed up and ready to go, there should be a 5 second count from the referee, then blow a penalty.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Stupid idea.

How is playing tired and injured players better for the game ??

Noise

Coach

Teams would just name the players they want in the scrum as forwards.

T.S Quint

Coach
I don't see anything wrong with having the 10 interchanges we have now.
I could live with reducing it to 8, but definitely no more than that.

What I'm concerned about is when will this be implemented?
If it is next year then it is a worry for certain teams. Think of a team (like us) who have signed a player thinking that the interchange will be 10 (say, Tim Mannah). The NRL then go and reduce the interchange without notice and that team is stuck with a player who can only play 35-40 minutes of a game.

If the NRL is to bring in this change, it needs to be done in a couple of years so teams have enough time to get their rosters ready for it.

emjaycee

Coach

If it is next year then it is a worry for certain teams. Think of a team (like us) who have signed a player thinking that the interchange will be 10 (say, Tim Mannah). The NRL then go and reduce the interchange without notice and that team is stuck with a player who can only play 35-40 minutes of a game.

If the NRL is to bring in this change, it needs to be done in a couple of years so teams have enough time to get their rosters ready for it.

You assume the NRL cares about clubs having the right roster.

Noise

Coach

There was an article a couple of months or so back stating that all clubs had been informed of the likelihood of reduced interchange and were planning recruitment accordingly.

Suitman

Post Whore
Stupid idea.

How is playing tired and injured players better for the game ??

I think the bigger question that needs to be asked is why does Rugby League feel the need to reinvent itself so often with rule changes?
Is it the fact that it is just becoming all the more predictable, hence, boring to watch?
I used to watch as many games as I could every weekend - at least 4 or 5. These days, I watch the Eels religiously, and catch other games if I have time or could be bothered, which most of the time, I couldn't.
Every game is just rinse and repeat.

Suity