What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ref didnt call surrender and Munster never touched the player. Its an unusual one but by letter of the law it should have been play on, can understand why the ref got it wrong though.

Big Pete

Referee
Ref didnt call surrender and Munster never touched the player. Its an unusual one but by letter of the law it should have been play on, can understand why the ref got it wrong though.
You're right but he should have called surrender in that instance because Mariner was lying motionless on the ground while the Broncos were appealing for a penalty on Howarth who ran through didn't compete and took Mariner out in the air.

If Howarth was onside, it was just barely.

Saxon

Bench
Usually, although it's pretty clear Dylan Edwards changed his line to make contact with JWH last Thursday.

While there would have been some contact regardless, most of JWH's body was past Edwards. He changed his angle to make more contact and fall over.
Also we should consider (although the bunker didn't) that Edwards had already changed his line to get around the ref. How is JWH supposed to predict that?

Saxon

Bench
They've changed the rules.

I'm not sure if Klein called surrender on Mariner but with the way he landed you can understand why Klein felt Munster wasn't entitled to pick up the scraps and score.
The example Annesley shows is f**king stupid. That should be a penalty for voluntary tackle every day of the week. Either that, or the defenders should be given free rein to smash him.
The new rule interpretation advantages the attacking player by removing any risk of him losing possession.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm curious can anyone remember a scenario like the Munster on Mariner strip and it was called play on?

The closest I can recall was the FW2 Brisbane/Penrith game where Oates was heavily concussed and Katoa tried to pick up the scraps and play only for it to be called back. Even so, it wasn't 1:1.
That should be a penalty for voluntary tackle every day of the week.
They were never calling them, I can't remember the last time a player was penalised for a surrender in that situation so the NRL just adapted.

Saxon

Bench
They were never calling them, I can't remember the last time a player was penalised for a surrender in that situation so the NRL just adapted.
You're right, they didn't and so it became just another case of NRL cowardice -taking the soft option and trying to appease everyone.

Reactions: Vee

Frailty

First Grade
They've changed the rules.

I'm not sure if Klein called surrender on Mariner but with the way he landed you can understand why Klein felt Munster wasn't entitled to pick up the scraps and score.
Thanks for sending this through - I hadn’t seen anything on this. Not sure if Klein called surrender or not.

I will say though, this is change is really a negative for the game. I don’t understand the reason for rewarding such negative play by ball carriers.

Fangs

Coach
Yep Penrith were robbed.

Onwards and upwards as they say. The boys out west are made of tougher stuff.

mave

Coach
That call on the Koula try went against 115 years of previous refereeing decision making.

I'll allow it though.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

Iamback

Coach
That call on the Koula try went against 115 years of previous refereeing decision making.

I'll allow it though.

That is the thing.

If it is a kick down field and the fullback drops it like that, It is always a knock on. No idea where that came from

no name

Coach

I'll allow it though.
You can kinda see why the ref and touchie may have thought it was a knock back because Koula stepped forward as he dropped it.
But the bunker green lighting it was unforgivable.
It does highlight the fact that the bunker will always back the on field ref on subjective calls and captains need to realise that when they challenge.