What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee for the 4N Final

hutch

First Grade
shouldnt we be using the "best ref"? I'm not syaing Archer's the best mind you but having some nuffy from england doesnt make things any better. given the game's also being played between two sides who's players mostly paly in the NRL woudlnt it make sense to have an NRL ref?

hence the problem, the players and coaches want nrl interpretations. we shouldnt have different interpretations, rugby league should be governed by the same rules, the same amount of refs and the same interpretations no matter where it is played.

Springs

First Grade
So show us the ton of ridiculous decision Silverwood made last week. I think in this tournament Silverwood has been beter than Archer. I think Silverwood has reffed 3 (?) games between Australia and New Zealand, none have been controversial, especially not completely incompetent like Archer in the England game, so what's wrong with this week?

It's a joke that Archer gets the final. After his previous performance he should have been crossed off the ref's list for the rest of the tournament. That was diabolical, and his grand final performance was also poor.

Silverwood went ok last week. He is neutral and good enough for the final.

johns_reds

First Grade
if you think archer is going to be bias for australia the what stops him from being bias to his club every week in the nrl? who cares who the ref is, they should be impartial.

ozbash

Referee
there's been times i think that the SL refs cant be any worse than the NRL ones, then i see them do an international.....

It doesnt matter how good or bad a ref is, he has to be neutral.

You can thank the NRL for the lack of quality refs, we had one accepted to ref NRL games, the NRL offerred him $35 k a year as a professional ref and he had to find his (and his families) way to oz as well as accomadation etc etc.

ARL/NRL dont want neutrals...

deluded pom?

Coach
if you think archer is going to be bias for australia the what stops him from being bias to his club every week in the nrl? who cares who the ref is, they should be impartial.

But when he (and Clark) make decisions like he made in the Australia v England game it calls his imartiality into question, whether that's deserved or not. if it had been a neutral ref who had made the same decisions as Archer made then there wouldn't be anywhere near the amount of stuff on forums or on websites as there has been.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Only seems to be a problem with the English supporters.

I for one couldn't care who reffed the final. At this level you would hope that the referees were neutral and impartial regardless of the nationality.

Most of the hoo-haa has come from over this side of the world due to a bad performance in the Australia v England game, which had no impact on what the final result would have been.

In the end, the massive majority of players in this game are from the NRL. Let an NRL ref take charge.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Only seems to be a problem with the English supporters.

I for one couldn't care who reffed the final. At this level you would hope that the referees were neutral and impartial regardless of the nationality.

Most of the hoo-haa has come from over this side of the world due to a bad performance in the Australia v England game, which had no impact on what the final result would have been.

In the end, the massive majority of players in this game are from the NRL. Let an NRL ref take charge.

Very broad statement to make.

I, as do quite a few Australian and NZ fans of the game, have a massive problem with no neutral ref being appointed (do we really need to list reasoning for this? It's pretty cut and dried). I am not sure how you can mark a comprehensive argument for NOT appointing a neutral ref.

Sure, there is an argument that we have the best refs in the world right here in Australia (up for debate), though doesn't make it right when appointing them to officiate a International fixture involving Australia let alone a Four Nations final.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I would rather have a neutral clown referee the game than the best ref in the world from one of the competing countries. The fact that Archer has shown that he's barely up to refereeing a professional match is irrelevant. There was a neutral ref available, and the ARL have chosen to appoint their own man. This invalidates the inevitable Australian victory. I would feel pretty stupid if England were in the final and the RFL appointed an English ref.

Meth

Staff member
Would rather a neutral in this instance.

If Archer was a great referee, I wouldn't care. There are better Australian referees. I would rather Hayne

Weels

Juniors
It may be embarrassing having Archer as the ref, but until such time that the poms, and the once were's can provide a ref with some idea of what it takes to be a halfway decent ref for this faster paced game, we are always going to have this argument. Gawd I love this game.!!!

deluded pom?

Coach
It may be embarrassing having Archer as the ref, but until such time that the poms, and the once were's can provide a ref with some idea of what it takes to be a halfway decent ref for this faster paced game, we are always going to have this argument. Gawd I love this game.!!!

What about the fact that Archer has come from a two ref system. Is he fit enough to take control on his own? is this a reason why he tends to slow the PTB down when reffing on his own? You seriously think Archer is a halfway decent ref? :sarcasm:

roughyedspud

Coach
i think they are forgetting that silverwood was joint world ref of the year

yeah the kiwis are saying that they don't matter who's ref...................until archer DICKs them

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=475105

that post was posted a week or so before the england v australia game.........read it from the beginning.......we saw it comming.....and it happened.....

archer and the ARL will not let what in 2008 happen again...............mark my words

Coastbloke

Bench
Archer is a suitable ref....

If....

The final was England vs Kiwis or PNG or anyone out of those 3...

But they aren't the teams so he's not the right Ref..

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
no...i've decided it is funny..

with a neutral ref,the kiwis conceded the same number of points (34) against australia while score just 6points more than we did against a technically weaker australian....

we lost away to australia...and apparently the world is falling in on english RL.....

the kiwis lost at home to australia...and apparently all is rosie

NZ are going to get DICKED @ suncorp......with the help of archer

then you'll all realize its not australia & NZ.....then way behind it's england......its australia......then NZ& ENG

:clap::clap:

Latest posts