What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing 2013

andrew057

First Grade
So far so good with the new video ref system. Apart from the penalty for kicking the ball out, I think the Video ref got all the calls correct last nightin the Charity Shield.

Should be interesting to see if the system continues to work through out the season.

LRC69

Juniors
In general the game flowed pretty well.... still think the attacking team is getting away with surrendering in tackles too much or basically hitting he defence and diving to the ground touch footy style... if they allow this you will just see the one out boring footy we have been getting.

I dont mind allowing more time for the defence as it would force teams to use bigger guys to get off loads away and create fast 2nd phasesagainst a retreating defence that way rather than from a surrender tackle...thsi woudl also bring bigge rplayers in for the smaller players to target when in defence... anyway thats my thought...take for what it isnt worth!! Haaaa!

I can think of my first pet hate from last nights game.

When Nightingale (spell?) was ruled to have knocked the ball on from a bomb when it looked like Souths (Inlgis??) got first touch forward.
Once again, this rule needs to be looked at closer..why should a team get an advantage from a 50/50 call from a bomb?? I hate bombs at the best of times..if thats all you got...make it clean and clear.
I would even have a rule where unless the attacking team actually catches the ball cleanly, then its the defenses ball....takes the onus of the ref to make a judgement call.

Or at least give the ref the benefit to say...... wasn't clear, was a bomb, go with the defence!

Outside of a try itself, the biggest play in a game of league is a repeat set of six..especially in the attacking zone.... you should have to earn this by putting on a good play not a lucky dip bomb because you have nothing left.

Danish

Referee
Got 1 call completely wrong when champion scored in the first half. He was a good 2m offside (he even put his hands up to signal he was out of play and not trying to obstruct) yet when the ball got batted back to him they simply ruled fair try.

The obstruction rule is still going to be a dogs breakfast as they seem too scared to apply the new ruling as well.

It's a trial for the refs as well so hopefully they'll improve, but tbh I didn't see anything to show it'd be different from last year

Clarke

Juniors
Didn't think there were too many mistakes in the charity shield of the All Stars game by the referees.

Champion was offside and then inside the 10, as I have said before, before scoring his try but overall if the referees controlled every game like those two games I'll be very happy.

It's never going to be perfect.

Charlie124

First Grade
Absolutely loving the absence of benefit of the doubt having just watched the roosters v tigers game. Sending the decision upstairs with his own ruling/opinion attached to it and just checking to make sure there's no obvious reason to overturn it is great. Hopefully that is one rubbish rule gone forever, now to get that shoulder charge one fixed up again.

POPEYE

Coach
I'd like the refs to follow Klein's lead, not always right but always genuine with the players.

happyG

Juniors
i watched the roosters v tigers game tonight and i cannot believe some of the penalties they are giving around the ruck. its disgusting. the referees are picking and choosing when they want the game to speed up. there were occassions 3-4 were in the tackle so obviously it was going to be a bit slower - but the refs blew a penalty for no apparent reason (players weren't slow getting off either).

i dont think i'll ever like refs.