What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs against Manly -- Slater try

Perth Red

Post Whore
What it showed was how hysterical and poor RL commentary is on Ch9 (yes shock I know!). By the rule book it was a perfectly good try. Rather than disagreeing with the rule book and suggesting that needs to change they blame the referees and call for their heads (like most on here). It showed what little understanding they have of the rules, which is pretty shoddy for commentators paid a fair whack to call RL games. The refs were not at fault, the rule book is at fault. I think everyone agrees that it shouldn't be classed as a try but that would require a change to the rules, not better refs!

The rules need to change to:
1. Only the hand (anything below the wrist) can score a try and there needs to be downward pressure and some element of control.
2. If the video ref can not see conclusively that it was or was not a try then it should be handed back to the on field ref and let him make a judgement call on what he thought he saw (but don't crucify him if you think differently to what he saw). Get rid of BOTD in effect.

Whilst on the subject straight after the game I watched the St's v Warrington SL game and have to say the one ref on the field did a much better job at controlling the game than when there are two refs getting in each others way.

Meth

Staff member
What it showed was how hysterical and poor RL commentary is on Ch9 (yes shock I know!). By the rule book it was a perfectly good try. Rather than disagreeing with the rule book and suggesting that needs to change they blame the referees and call for their heads (like most on here). It showed what little understanding they have of the rules, which is pretty shoddy for commentators paid a fair whack to call RL games. The refs were not at fault, the rule book is at fault. I think everyone agrees that it shouldn't be classed as a try but that would require a change to the rules, not better refs!

The rules need to change to:
1. Only the hand (anything below the wrist) can score a try and there needs to be downward pressure and some element of control.
2. If the video ref can not see conclusively that it was or was not a try then it should be handed back to the on field ref and let him make a judgement call on what he thought he saw (but don't crucify him if you think differently to what he saw). Get rid of BOTD in effect.

Whilst on the subject straight after the game I watched the St's v Warrington SL game and have to say the one ref on the field did a much better job at controlling the game than when there are two refs getting in each others way.

Great post.

We have been on a slippery slope ever since the grounding rules were relaxed- this is where it has lead us.

Latest posts