What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

registration NRL vs afl

In-goal

Bench
You do. That's why you lie on behalf of the AFL

I think you missed the boat, don't get upset because your simply implying that I'm implying some form of paradox.

I don't see the point in carrying on in favour of either sport as they are both fantastic in there own right.

As for women, statistic show that RL has a much higher Male to Female following than that of the other codes, check the web you'll find stats backing that statement somewhere.

Green Machine

First Grade
I think you missed the boat, don't get upset because your simply implying that I'm implying some form of paradox.

I’m not getting upset at all. You are the one defending the AFL’s fabricated Oz Kick numbers as major victory for the AFL.
I don't see the point in carrying on in favour of either sport as they are both fantastic in there own right.

If the AFL think they are the powerful sport they wants us to believe they are, they shouldn’t feel that have fabricate their Oz Kick numbers
As for women, statistic show that RL has a much higher Male to Female following than that of the other codes, check the web you'll find stats backing that statement somewhere.
Yes, I have looked at stats presented over the last 5 years. Most stats I’ve seen is that Rugby League has been increasing their female fan base over the last five years. None of them suggest that Rugby League struggles to attract females to the game. Far from your suggestion that Rugby League struggles to attract females, I would say it’s the opposite. I attend a lot of NRL games and would say the female fan base has risen significantly in the last 5 years

flamin

Juniors
Ok so the article claims there are

175 000 approx RL players
85 000 RU players
400 000 soccer players
700 000 AFL players

Which is completely ridiculous.

The information it's got for rugby league seems to be straight of wikipedia which is out dated which is based on figures from 2000 - 2002 that there are 172,000 (total) 58,200 (adult). According to the ARL's annual report in 2008 there were 423,584 RL players: http://www.australianrugbyleague.com.au/files/11726_ARL_Annrep_2.pdf

Last edited:

RL1908

Bench
Participant numbers (and code comparisons) are important in many instances, and can give an indication perhaps of future trends (players and supporters growth/robustness) but the reality is that when it comes to proving anything about a major spectator/tv sport and its success, it doesn't really matter.

RL over the past 15 years has evolved into a game that increasingly cannot be played socially or by players/teams who don't train for the 10m rule game. It's following the path of American football, where few adults play the game at all outside of the NFL.

Here we keep hearing that RL participant numbers are falling in the bush and in grade football, but at the same time touch footy and Oz tag are ever growing.

While AFL, soccer & RU will continue as social participant sports, it's hard to see that RL's participant numbers (if we don't count touch/Oztag) are going to keep pace.

RL's structure below the NRL is (unfortunately perhaps) all aimed at preparing and delivering players to the NRL level. Once you (as a player) fall out of that race, the structure outside of that offers you little in regard to earning potential, insurance costs etc.

I'm not trying to paint a negative picture - it is, as I said, no different to American football, and look how successful it is as a spectator and pro sport.

The concern is that the other codes use their social/school game as a marketing opportunity. If RL's not there, then we are missing out, especially if govt's begin to increase funds for school/social football programs.

RL1908

Bench

From June 12 this year...

In a major boost for the NRL on the eve of its inaugural Women In League round, researcher Repucom has found that 40.9 per cent of league fans were women at the end of 2008. The two-in-five ratio is just 0.8 per cent less than the gender split recorded in AFL, long suspected to be the most female-friendly football code.

The national poll of 4000 sports fans was conducted by Lynne Anderson, wife of former Australian Test coach Chris Anderson. She admitted rugby league's continued appeal among women was surprising at the end of last season, let alone during the first quarter of 2009 when feminine interest soared another 2 per cent.

"I don't even know how to explain it myself," said Anderson, who polled people across Australia on their attitudes toward different sports. "All I can say is that support among females for rugby league has remained very strong since we started the surveys four years ago. There's definitely a misconception that the AFL is more female-friendly.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25627241-5003409,00.html

Dogs Of War

Coach
RL over the past 15 years has evolved into a game that increasingly cannot be played socially or by players/teams who don't train for the 10m rule game. It's following the path of American football, where few adults play the game at all outside of the NFL.

Here we keep hearing that RL participant numbers are falling in the bush and in grade football, but at the same time touch footy and Oz tag are ever growing.

While AFL, soccer & RU will continue as social participant sports, it's hard to see that RL's participant numbers (if we don't count touch/Oztag) are going to keep pace.

RL's structure below the NRL is (unfortunately perhaps) all aimed at preparing and delivering players to the NRL level. Once you (as a player) fall out of that race, the structure outside of that offers you little in regard to earning potential, insurance costs etc.

I'm not trying to paint a negative picture - it is, as I said, no different to American football, and look how successful it is as a spectator and pro sport.

The concern is that the other codes use their social/school game as a marketing opportunity. If RL's not there, then we are missing out, especially if govt's begin to increase funds for school/social football programs.

It would be interesting to see how the NFL use Flag Football for those who want to play socially. It's the one area that the NRL needs to use to get more school children playing, and it's bonus is that boxes sexes can play Oztag/Touch at the same time with no problems.

THe NRL organising some comps for schools at lower levels could really help with participation rates and interest in Rugby League as a whole.

THe NFL have a WOrld Championship for 12-14yr olds in Flag Football which is exactly something the NRL should do, but more on a national level only.

RL1908

Bench
It would be interesting to see how the NFL use Flag Football for those who want to play socially. It's the one area that the NRL needs to use to get more school children playing, and it's bonus is that boxes sexes can play Oztag/Touch at the same time with no problems.

THe NRL organising some comps for schools at lower levels could really help with participation rates and interest in Rugby League as a whole.

THe NFL have a WOrld Championship for 12-14yr olds in Flag Football which is exactly something the NRL should do, but more on a national level only.

They encourage entry into a league comp, http://flag.nflyouthfootball.com but there's also plenty of one-off social matches/tournaments that anyone can enter.

legend_ss

Juniors
it just proves that more people have decided to come out of the closet thats why AFL numbers are high.

LESStar58

Referee
Rugby League Registered players: approx. 175,000

afl Registered players: approx 700,000.

dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/cracking-the-codes/story-e6frexx0-1225805176969

That cant be true can it?

I found that 700K to be over inflated. I reckon it may still be higher than RL but theres no way its 700K! AFL count Auskick kids in their participation rates even if they have one session but don't think they'd add it to their registered players figure.

LESStar58

Referee
Hahaha, by the way I'm not DB, just liked what he had to say on the Daily Tel. You see the thing is at least I'm not one eyed dics like some of you guys. I love soccer am a Melbourne Victory Member, I enjoy the Storm (went to 3 games last year) and love the AFL (you guessed it). I even watch NRL games on a Sunday if I have a bet on the game and don't mind them most of the time.

That's the problem with about 80% of the people of this forum. So one eyed. You get all defensive.... oh oh oh AFL..... oh oh fumble ball ..... On Bigfooty we get AFL one eyed dics on there as well that say stupid sh*t- so don't think you are alone.

All I asked was to see some figures. Open both eyes!

Go to more....

Thomas

First Grade
Participant numbers (and code comparisons) are important in many instances, and can give an indication perhaps of future trends (players and supporters growth/robustness) but the reality is that when it comes to proving anything about a major spectator/tv sport and its success, it doesn't really matter.

Absolutely spot on, Sean

Steyger

Juniors
Rugby League has it all over Australian Rules because it is an international game. RL is massive in the north of England, second string in NZ the be & end all in the Cook Islands. You little rippa.

Big Time

Juniors
Afl counts Aust Kick as Members of clubs and players in the Southern States

I know a fair few kids who do Auskick but play Rugby League. I imagine they are doing the same for kids who play Soccer and Union. So AFL are double dipping in there figures?? When I was a kid, I played AFL for sport at school, but played League on weekends. I did it because it was something different and was available. Would that have made me an AFL player???

Big Time

Juniors
Rugby League has it all over Australian Rules because it is an international game. RL is massive in the north of England, second string in NZ the be & end all in the Cook Islands. You little rippa.

Spot on. People say League is not big in England. They should head up North to places like Leeds and Bradford and have a look. It is League mad, I imagine even moreso since the demise of United. League is played 12 months of the year with your Summer and Winter Competitions, they have multitudes levels, it is quite amazing actually. So many people play the game up there. I seen blokes still playing in there 50's. They are just crazy for it. I lived in Leeds for a year, hardly heard a whisper of Union, AFL they thought was funny to watch, United were playing in League 2 and most people were embarrassed by them. It was all just League. It would be interesting to see how many people actually play League in UK.