What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rep footy & NRL format should change from 2007

griff

Bench
Agree with Observer, Lancs/Yorks games have a place, similar to City Country in Australia. They can have HN games as well.

RL in GB shouldn't be ashamed of its Northern roots and try to pretend to be something it isn't ("European" Super League for example).

I think they should have been promoted and organised a lot differently - "the Origin game" was a ridiculous concept I think of the disastrous and inept McCallum administration. It should be the County Championship and promoted as something important and historical that has been played since even before 1895. I would also bring back the Yorkshire and Lancashire Cups as pre-season comps.

The Observer

Staff member
Jarryd Hayne, Antonio Kaufusi and Jamie Lyon were awarded Kangaroo jerseys without having played State of Origin before test selection. Karmichael Hunt did it before them, by being selected in the ANZAC Test before he played Origin. In effect, Kangaroo selection is being used as a stepping stone to playing State of Origin. It should be the other way around.

This is the consequence of staging Origin in the middle of the club season.

Craig Bellamy is the latest coach to highlight the fact that mid season Origin games clog up the schedule and put the players at risk, this year in reference to City Country. I wonder which teams are going to be plagued by injury and fatigute due to a mid-season Origin series this year?

eels_fan_01

Bench
The Observer said:
Since the Kiwis would be able to have their own North/South Origin series, they'd be much better too. Also, the Poms would hopefully get the message and bring back their County of Origin series from 2 years ago (Lancashire vs Yorkshire) and they'd also be more match hardened.

The Aussies improvement would be cancelled out.

Because its burning out the players - look at how flat the rep players are post Origin in June July, especially Lockyer and the Broncos every year. Also, so many players sign up for post season ops as a result of the mid season Origin.

The mid season Origin may sell out the big stadia and get good ratings, but its crippling the players.

You my friend have no idea about state of origin or rugby league for that matter.

Are you honestly saying that a north/south or war of roses series would have the same intensity as state of origin you fool. War of roses (thats the english version of origin if you didnt know, you probably dont) was sh*t. They got lower crowds than bloody Superleague. It meant nothing to the players or the fans so how would it compare to a state of origin that means everything to NSW and QLD. Im sure watching the North side of NZ win 40-0 would harder the players up.

Simple solution=Make the NRL competition 22 rounds, done and done. Although i have no problem with all the games they play im sick of people like you complaining.

State of origin is a mid-season event and you wanna change it. Honestly if you were in power you would do worse to rugby league than Superleague. No idea at all.

Jeffles

Bench
What Observer said about the season being too long is true of both the NRL and SL. Monday night football in Australia will compound the problem.

I haven't much thought re; making the season shorter but on the club side of things, the season should be cut to 22 rounds, Monday night games should be cut to give players more chance to recover and split rounds should come back during SOO.

ali

Bench
I'd go the opposite way observer, and move major international tournaments into the middle of the season. Have a mid season break to the NRL, many sports do this.

I think playing internationals mid season is great for travelling fans and the only way we can get the media in this country to start giving international RL the coverage it deserves.

da_greekbulldog

Juniors
the way i see it is that aus is killing the game because there not givin any chance for the other countrys to exel. they should make clubs from other countrys [fiji, tonga etc] and put them into the nrl, so should the super league.

hutch

First Grade
da_greekbulldog said:
the way i see it is that aus is killing the game because there not givin any chance for the other countrys to exel. they should make clubs from other countrys [fiji, tonga etc] and put them into the nrl, so should the super league.

i dont get it!

eels_fan_01

Bench
da_greekbulldog said:

Yeah thats a good idea. :roll:

The Tonga spiders for the west tigers. Whos gonna pay for these other countries? You? Your only 10.

The Observer

Staff member
I'd go the opposite way observer, and move major international tournaments into the middle of the season.

The potential drawback is club agreement. SL clubs are reluctant to release players to fly around the world for one ANZAC Test match. How would they feel about releasing players for England France, Samoa-Tonga, Fiji-PNG etc? English clubs could release 10 players each to, with an injury risk to all the players they have invested millions of pounds in. Plus, the games would effectively be seen as a series of one off matches, rather than as coherent tournaments.

Have a mid season break to the NRL, many sports do this.

There is another option: what about staging City Country and the Origin series in August? The potential benefits are that it could still be held:
1) in the middle of the season (roughly - August is about 2/3rds the way between march & November)
2) midweek - on a Wednesday.
3) it could be held after 22 rounds of NRL, meaning that the regular NRL rounds would be over for all teams, and the NRL would be finished for half the teams.
4) Origin would therefore no longer clash with regular rounds of the NRL season.

In the thread Expanding test RL and reshaping club RL, it shows a way of restructuring SL & NRL which could give the best of both worlds.

Latest posts